Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Sorry but it is not in the best interests to keep the fans updated while things are in an ongoing process - they will update us when players are signed and sealed though...
They may not tell us why some things did not work out - Sonny's post above gives you a good flavour of possible senarios
I get all of that, however, it doesn't stop me from wanting to hear more from the club. Happy with the business to date, just eager for more info.

3 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:
3 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:
Sorry but it is not in the best interests to keep the fans updated while things are in an ongoing process - they will update us when players are signed and sealed though...
They may not tell us why some things did not work out - Sonny's post above gives you a good flavour of possible senarios

I get all of that, however, it doesn't stop me from wanting to hear more from the club. Happy with the business to date, just eager for more info.

We are all in the same boat  . . .  the good ship "Have Patience"

January is always a tough gig - but the management team are doing a great job - they will do everything they can within their power to do us proud...

We are going in to the Alloa, Celtic and Hibs games with holes still all over the squad.

Pretty poor from the club in my opinion to again be underprepared for crucial games. Gus is supposed to working full time on ensuring this type of situation doesn't happen!

4 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

what is a concern is it appears that aside from Lyons who required no scouting at all, we seem to have dried up already on the multitude of targets Gus had lined up.

We'll soon be back picking over the bones of players out of the picture at diddy premiership/championship clubs up here, and/or Oran getting free reign to populate our squad with a swathe of hammer-throwers from his old league.

Can’t be too sure. It could be a matter of waiting on the other club to get someone in before they release a player to us. We might as well wait until the window shuts before making our assumptions.

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

We are going in to the Alloa, Celtic and Hibs games with holes still all over the squad.

Pretty poor from the club in my opinion to again be underprepared for crucial games. Gus is supposed to working full time on ensuring this type of situation doesn't happen!

He is and I suspect it is not that easy. It never is in January and even ones who look like  they are great don't always follow through and sign..

Have a you a list of realistic targets he has missed?

8 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I thought someone boasting about their superhuman levels of empathy on another thread would at least show some of it in this case.

We have 4 fewer holes than we did last month for example. You could at least show some acknowledgement of that for a start.

6 minutes ago, Kemp said:

If everything were that easy.  The manager has said still business and out before the end of the window.  Regardless of squad we would expect beat Alloa home and lose to Septic away.  Hibs is the 27th so a good bit of time yet for the first game that you'd really speculate about the outcome.  

5 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

He is and I suspect it is not that easy. It never is in January and even ones who look like  they are great don't always follow through and sign..

Have a you a list of realistic targets he has missed?

No, I don't have the time to work full time on drawing up a list of targets :lol: That's literally his job!

While I understand its not easy given our relatively lowly position in the food chain, the problems have been clear for months and I had rather hoped we would have had some business tied up for the window opening.

Seems odd to have therefore spent time pursuing a goalkeeper when we had Lyness on the books, to sign two more central midfielders, but to be going in to vital games still without a left back, any wingers, or a striker.

2 minutes ago, David Mc said:

If everything were that easy.  The manager has said still business and out before the end of the window.  Regardless of squad we would expect beat Alloa home and lose to Septic away.  Hibs is the 27th so a good bit of time yet for the first game that you'd really speculate about the outcome.  

Not been supporting St Mirren very long, have you?

4 minutes ago, Kemp said:

No, I don't have the time to work full time on drawing up a list of targets :lol: That's literally his job!

While I understand its not easy given our relatively lowly position in the food chain, the problems have been clear for months and I had rather hoped we would have had some business tied up for the window opening.

Seems odd to have therefore spent time pursuing a goalkeeper when we had Lyness on the books, to sign two more central midfielders, but to be going in to vital games still without a left back, any wingers, or a striker.

It is Gus's job and the others have their input too. It seems that not so many people were willing to be tied up in advance of the Window opening and we are still only at the mid point. The important issue is getting the best we can in, at whatever point we can manage it.

We do not know for sure yet but I strongly suspect Hladky is better than Lyness ;  Popesu is better than Jones ; Lyons will prove better than Smith and Tansey will prove better than McShane/Willock & Edwards combined.  The big loss is Hammill and you are correct in that signing a goal scorer is a most vital need - our management team know this for sure. These guys are the most difficult and in the most demand.  There is still time and a winger and FB would be most advantageous also.

We have to wait, watch and see  -   God give us patience, but please hurry up    :turtle

OK hopeful that we might have at least one player in before the weekend, in today's PDE.

Also states that one or two might move on.

Although he says we're a few days away from finalising certain deals.

So more to come, but as OK states "You are in the laps of other clubs".

You only have to look at us with Cammy Smith. Dundee United thought everything was signed and sealed, then we shifted the goalposts, thus delaying his signing by several days.

Our fans would do well to remember to such instances before pishing their breeks.<_<

I'm happy to see Dundee making an arse of it, but the expectation at St Mirren (based on the noises coming out the club) was that business was in place and would be done early. On four signings it has, but none of them in the key positions we need filled!

I'm sure it is a complex situation, we are surely keeping some budget aside for Lewis Morgan for example but haven't yet convinced him or his club we are the best option. I understand the point in waiting there. For the other positions though it doesn't look like we have much in the pipeline. I remain hopeful Kearney will make the right decisions around players coming in, but my expectations were for more based on what I had seen Gordon Scott and Gus MacPherson quoted as having said.

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

I'm happy to see Dundee making an arse of it, but the expectation at St Mirren (based on the noises coming out the club) was that business was in place and would be done early. On four signings it has, but none of them in the key positions we need filled!

I'm sure it is a complex situation, we are surely keeping some budget aside for Lewis Morgan for example but haven't yet convinced him or his club we are the best option. I understand the point in waiting there. For the other positions though it doesn't look like we have much in the pipeline. I remain hopeful Kearney will make the right decisions around players coming in, but my expectations were for more based on what I had seen Gordon Scott and Gus MacPherson quoted as having said.

Judge them when the window has closed and the results have come in... that is when it counts.

I think Dee are in a far worse  position than us

7 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Judge them when the window has closed and the results have come in... that is when it counts.

I think Dee are in a far worse  position than us

I get your point, but the Alloa, Celtic and Hibs games all count too. It's been clear since August this was going to be a massively important window for us!

Oran has just stated in an interview that there are possibilities which all depend on the other clubs' success or otherwise in recruiting/offloading. Getting Lewis back was possibly a target for us but that was never going to happen on the 1st Jan and may not happen at all. We will have to wait and see. It is naive to think that we had 10 players all lined up to sign on the dotted line in the first week in January. Identifying players is one thing - getting their signature is another.

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

I get your point, but the Alloa, Celtic and Hibs games all count too. It's been clear since August this was going to be a massively important window for us!

I think and hope that we are in good enough shape for the Alloa game!

Still got 18 - 22nd before the Tic game; though anything other than a drubbing is a bonus there and especially at this point after all the squad cuts.

The Hibs game though, we do need more strength and depth before than one for sure. (It is only a few days before the window shuts anyway)    :2cool