Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

6 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

Full backs,midfield players ,Will not win us games,we need strikers , they should have been a priority.

All this loan stuff for a few months may save us,but I doubt it, so then we start all over again??

Our issue is the risk of relegation really weakens  your chance of attracting a player committing long term. We have done well to tie the Hladky and Tansey beyond this season. 

I am sure within the next week we will see some activity and I am fairly confident a striker is a high priority.

1 minute ago, waldorf34 said:

Full backs,midfield players ,Will not win us games,we need strikers , they should have been a priority.

All this loan stuff for a few months may save us,but I doubt it, so then we start all over again??

Agree with this - a new striker (preferably not Sammon) should be top priority.  Followed by a left-back.  

51 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

Depends. If you need a full back, and consistently concede goals because of it, then it doesn’t matter then number of strikers you have. For us, it’s all about managing the points per game balance...and we need a strong defence to do so.

also, the manager has aknowleged that he doesn’t want to dabble in the loan market and that will not be the long term plan. However, it’s a case of needs must right now.

1 hour ago, mattman said:

From the record...

Oran Kearney has revealed a bid for Blackpool full-back Ryan McLaughlin has been unsuccessful.

The St Mirren boss thought he had agreed a six-month loan deal for the former Liverpool youngster.

All that was required was for the 24-year-old to drive north to Paisley and sign a contract.

But Kearney’s hopes were dashed when Blackpool received a cash bid from another unnamed club south of the border and the Northern Ireland international was ordered to return back to Bloomfield Road to talk terms with Saints’ rival suitors.

Kearney, who is still hoping to add up to four new faces after clearing out 13 of Alan Stubbs’ signings already this month, said:

That one has been and gone.

We had that sorted yesterday. Ryan was driving up last night, we had all the paperwork done.

Then Blackpool received a bid for him. They called Ryan as he was approaching Glasgow and asked him to turn the car around.

So he’s driven back down the road again and that one’s now history.

It is frustrating but that’s football. Someone once told me you should never get carried away with a signing until the signature is on the paper. That one is probably the closest I’ve ever come before having it taken away.

Ryan is gone now as far as I’m concerned so it’s on to the next one.

We’ve still got a couple of deals pretty much done but where we are in the food chain means we’re in the hands of other clubs. The whole thing relies on certain business getting done higher up the chain and when it does, a chain reaction follows and players are allowed to move on.

The curse of the"Carlilse Triangle" strikes yet again. When will our managers ever learn....

A. Dont let players coming to sign drive up the feckin M6/M74. Stick them on a feckin flight and get them to sign before collecting their luggage!

B. Confiscate their mobile phone.

3 hours ago, Doakes said:

I see Morgan ruled out so I'd say the priority is a left winger, with pace.

If we went with a 4-2-3-1 formation it would allow us to keep playing Jackson and get 3 attacking mids in behind

If we want to play 4-4-2 then the priority is a left winger and a striker

Don't see the need for a right back personally

Left back is still an issue (as always)

What if we went with 3 central defenders (as we have been doing when Ferdinand has been in the side)?

1 hour ago, waldorf34 said:

11 good players on the pitch wins us games, not just one striker.

You do realise top strikers are bloody hard to come by and any decent striker we are in for, other clubs will also be in for?

We could sign a striker, it doesn’t mean he is any good though. Do you want us to sign one for the sake of it, or do you want us to try and find that goalscoring striker that others somehow haven’t noticed? 

19 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Depends. If you need a full back, and consistently concede goals because of it, then it doesn’t matter then number of strikers you have. For us, it’s all about managing the points per game balance...and we need a strong defence to do so.

also, the manager has aknowleged that he doesn’t want to dabble in the loan market and that will not be the long term plan. However, it’s a case of needs must right now.

The long term does not look too good,no Saints players in latest Scotland  under 17 squad

43 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

The long term does not look too good,no Saints players in latest Scotland  under 17 squad

Having decided on a somewhat bizarre set of clubs to benefit from the elite status academies, I wouldn't be surprised if the SFA self-validate their decision by mainly naming players from those clubs.

But i cant be arsed checking.

1 minute ago, beyond our ken said:

Having decided on a somewhat bizarre set of clubs to benefit from the elite status academies, I wouldn't be surprised if the SFA self-validate their decision by mainly naming players from those clubs.

But i cant be arsed checking.

There is something seriously wrong with Scotland’s “development”. Ignoring Dundee United, Falkirk and Saints was extremely bizarre and it was sad to see Falkirk closing the academy after this, they’ve had some excellent players come through.

This “elite” shite isn’t going to improve the national team. It’s the coaching that matters, the training. Placing the better young guys against each other will hamper the players who aren’t as good, while it still won’t change much at the top end, because they aren’t being coached differently.

Got to think the only reason for us signing a right back is because we know or expect Lee Hodson to be gone.

Doesn't really make any sense at all otherwise.

Reassuring though to know that there is still room for 4 more signings. Going to be an interesting 10 days.

My guess is a left back, left winger, big lump centre forward as definite and AN other from wee pacy centre forward, centre half or right back (if Hodson goes)

3 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

If Hodson goes then that would leave room to take Wallace.

I'm not sure about that. I thought it was one loan from club per season, end of story. Had a quick look online but can't find the exact rule. Anyone able to confirm this?

18 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

There is something seriously wrong with Scotland’s “development”. Ignoring Dundee United, Falkirk and Saints was extremely bizarre and it was sad to see Falkirk closing the academy after this, they’ve had some excellent players come through.

This “elite” shite isn’t going to improve the national team. It’s the coaching that matters, the training. Placing the better young guys against each other will hamper the players who aren’t as good, while it still won’t change much at the top end, because they aren’t being coached differently.

Aye, its a load of shite.

Malky MacKay is an odious c**t as well. SFA really are a rabble of shitehawks, its little wonder our national team has declined so badly.

I live in hope one day we will see a clear out there and some forward-thinking leadership.

25 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

If its the coaching that matters, how will it hamper the players who aren't as good (eg, St. Mirren youth players), if they are still getting the same coaching as before?

1 hour ago, waldorf34 said:

We've got that in common with everyone except Septic, Motherwell, Hamilton Aberdeen and Hearts.  And increasingly Scotland are sourcing players from down south.  8 out of 20 this time. We had a 17 year old score our second on Saturday.  Not really tough times.

38 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I'm not sure about that. I thought it was one loan from club per season, end of story. Had a quick look online but can't find the exact rule. Anyone able to confirm this?

Sevco loaned Hardie to Livvy, recalled him, gave him a new contract, then loaned him to Livvy Again. So it seems to be one at a time from another premiership club.

24 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

We've been playing 3 central defenders to accommodate Ferdinand.

If we continue with this then I don't think another winger is a priority.

If we continue with 3 central defenders then I think the priorities are striker, central defender and full back (who can play either side).

Problem is Ethan cannot play as a left wing back as was clearly shown at Kilmarnock. If we play with a back three we definitely need someone on the left.

46 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Aye, its a load of shite.

Malky MacKay is an odious c**t as well. SFA really are a rabble of shitehawks, its little wonder our national team has declined so badly.

I live in hope one day we will see a clear out there and some forward-thinking leadership.

I always go back to this but being Belgian as well as Scottish, I witnessed both going into decline at the same time. I witnessed one country say enough is enough, researched ideas and then revamped the entire youth setup. The other country said “yeah it’s fine, we’ll be alright”. No prizes for guessing which country finished 3rd at the World Cup and which one hasn’t qualified for anything this millennium.

38 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

If its the coaching that matters, how will it hamper the players who aren't as good (eg, St. Mirren youth players), if they are still getting the same coaching as before?

The way I see it, because St Mirren won’t be in the “elite” league, our young guys will be playing poorer quality opposition. Over time the poorer quality will not do much to aid the development of our players than if they had the opportunity to take on some of the better sides.

When I say coaching, I’m talking from a young age. Right from the beginning when they are kids. Long before they hit U17 level. Belgium revamped things top to bottom across all age groups, so the style of play, coaching and training that was planned began at a young age. The coaching I’m on about is the long term, the Elite league pish is shorter term and by then a lot of the development damage is done.

31 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

We've been playing 3 central defenders to accommodate Ferdinand.

If we continue with this then I don't think another winger is a priority.

If we continue with 3 central defenders then I think the priorities are striker, central defender and full back (who can play either side).

The problem at the moment is we do not know who if anyone is still going to depart- as well as what positions we are trying to fill.

CF and LB is a no brainer though - if the LB can play well on both sides or centrally then that is a welcome bonus.

Depending on what happens with MacKenzie, a CB might not be a priority. He could be up to speed soon, but probably not before the window closes. If he has a set back and at some point we need a CB, then that is the time for an emergency loan.

A winger or attacking LM is a priority at least until Magennis is fit, and also if he breaks down again.. though a new LB could allow Erhahon to play there too.

I think if we play 3 CB's, which we will sometimes, the wingbacks need to be better than what we have right now... oops sorry if anyone disagrees. :argue:

If Hodson goes, then we are a RB/RM short. McAllister looks great but we need cover too.

We are as yet a bit too thin on the ground squad wise. .  it is moving too slowly this week . . . arrrgggghhhhh ! :spud7

Hope the moves click into place nicely and we go from relative chaos to strength ~ASAP

18 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I always go back to this but being Belgian as well as Scottish, I witnessed both going into decline at the same time. I witnessed one country say enough is enough, researched ideas and then revamped the entire youth setup. The other country said “yeah it’s fine, we’ll be alright”. No prizes for guessing which country finished 3rd at the World Cup and which one hasn’t qualified for anything this millennium.

The way I see it, because St Mirren won’t be in the “elite” league, our young guys will be playing poorer quality opposition. Over time the poorer quality will not do much to aid the development of our players than if they had the opportunity to take on some of the better sides.

When I say coaching, I’m talking from a young age. Right from the beginning when they are kids. Long before they hit U17 level. Belgium revamped things top to bottom across all age groups, so the style of play, coaching and training that was planned began at a young age. The coaching I’m on about is the long term, the Elite league pish is shorter term and by then a lot of the development damage is done.

I know a bit about what happens with the Tic. They grow their boys together from as early as they can. They send them to the same school, if they can etc So their team grows up together. My friends boy signed with them as a main striker. He was talked into it by all the glamour and a friendly where he was a star. He signed and played for weeks, scoring regularly, setting up others - until their regular main striker returned from injury, and my friends boy was dropped like a stone to the bench, even though their regular boy took weeks to really get back to fitness - they had already invested more in him and my friends boy did not want to move to "their school" PS despite being a regular scorer at another Premiership boys team previously, it was only when he signed for the Tic that he immediately got called up to play for Scotland . .   

Anyway - Scotland would be far better if the 2 ugly sisters left our leagues . . 

Edited by Sweeper07

2 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

What if we went with 3 central defenders (as we have been doing when Ferdinand has been in the side)?

I hate that formation, so I'm hoping we don't go with it :lol:

4-2-3-1

4-4-2

4-5-1

In order of my preference. 3 at the back always seems a bit awkward