Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

9 hours ago, W6Saint said:

If we do have 1 more spot in the budget available I certainly wouldn’t be using it for a striker - I suspect OK wouldn’t either.

Why do you say that - On the last few days of the transfer window when Oran had said he was still hoping to sign 2 or 3 - 2 were strikers . . . . :spud7

46 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Why do you say that - On the last few days of the transfer window when Oran had said he was still hoping to sign 2 or 3 - 2 were strikers . . . . :spud7

We need a centre midfield player in the Shug Murray style. Tansey is not doing it and McGinn is not fully fit. I would sign another midfield player to replace Tansey and give MCGinns place to Brad Lyons. 

46 minutes ago, Ethan said:

We need a centre midfield player in the Shug Murray style. Tansey is not doing it and McGinn is not fully fit. I would sign another midfield player to replace Tansey and give MCGinns place to Brad Lyons. 

I understand what you are saying but it is very different to what Oran was stating . . .:spud6

2 hours ago, Ethan said:

A wee bit soon to be writing Tansey  off perhaps. 

Edited by St.Ricky

43 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Yes definitely. Every game he looks a bit more match fit - he wrestled and fought hard against Sevco and it was always going to be a uphill struggle - even before the very early goal.

All over the forum fans are crying because we are not instantly winning against Tic, Sevco etc. A bit of realism and give the new team a chance to learn to play Oran's way...

Patience still the order of the day, but have to hope we beat Well, it is even more important than beating Utd in the cup. However, I don't think it is being greedy to win both and then we will have some things to shout about !!! :spud7

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Yes definitely. Every game he looks a bit more match fit - he wrestled and fought hard against Sevco and it was always going to be a uphill struggle - even before the very early goal.

All over the forum fans are crying because we are not instantly winning against Tic, Sevco etc. A bit of realism and give the new team a chance to learn to play Oran's way...

Patience still the order of the day, but have to hope we beat Well, it is even more important than beating Utd in the cup. However, I don't think it is being greedy to win both and then we will have some things to shout about !!! :spud7

Either one; t'other or both  ......but neither would NOT be disastrous; we really do have to give them some time to get to know each other. COYS.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We're not going to sign Joe Mason FFS. :lol:

Really?.....Personally I've never heard of the guy, is he too good for us? or is it he pish and not good enough for us?

Looking at his Wiki page his career seems to be going downhill faster than Franz Klammer, so what is it then sore lips who

likes to play music...:wink:

38 minutes ago, scrappy coco said:

Really?.....Personally I've never heard of the guy, is he too good for us? or is it he pish and not good enough for us?

Looking at his Wiki page his career seems to be going downhill faster than Franz Klammer, so what is it then sore lips who

likes to play music...:wink:

Whether he's good enough or not (and his scoring record suggests he's a bit 'meh'), his expected wage would be well above our station.

He's, 27, relatively injury free and just came out of a lucrative contract with a Premier league club. He has consistently found clubs at a decent Football league level (most championship, a wee bit of league one) and that will likely continue. 

If he was 5 years older I'd maybe think there's a chance he'd come up here. 

15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Whether he's good enough or not (and his scoring record suggests he's a bit 'meh'), his expected wage would be well above our station.

He's, 27, relatively injury free and just came out of a lucrative contract with a Premier league club. He has consistently found clubs at a decent Football league level (most championship, a wee bit of league one) and that will likely continue. 

He is not being chassed by too many clubs - only 2 I have heard about and neither diving in with big cash offers . . .

He is out of contract and will want to be somewhere for sure . . .

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd honestly never heard of the guy until I read his name on here last night, thought maybe someone had heard a

rumour or he was up training with us trying to win a contract....Oh well what you never had you never miss...

21 minutes ago, scrappy coco said:

I'd honestly never heard of the guy until I read his name on here last night, thought maybe someone had heard a

rumour or he was up training with us trying to win a contract....Oh well what you never had you never miss...

I remember him at Cardiff a few years ago. A good footballer but not a goalscorer from what I remember but that was about 4 or 5 years back. 

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

More realistic would be to look at someone like Karl Henry. 

Plays in a Postion we're looking for (holding mid) , only released in December by Bradford, 36 years old, massive amount of Premier and Championship experience. 

36 year old - come on - surely not for us. I think we need a bit of speed and less years for that role

11 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

This!

Impatience creeping in and rightly so with results, though unfair to judge a player after a couple of games. I know it's not ideal though he is still working on his fitness and getting back to first team game time.

14 hours ago, kevo_smfc said:

This!

Impatience creeping in and rightly so with results, though unfair to judge a player after a couple of games. I know it's not ideal though he is still working on his fitness and getting back to first team game time.

It is not only too soon but against a very tough Sevco it is always a bad time to judge one of our players.

Too much knicker-wetting during the window and surprise surprise when we don't instantly become world beaters or win comfortably the pant soakers drip right out all over the forum . .

Tansey and the rest of our squad will provide us with the results we need to keep us up . . . When that starts, it will make all the difference. :magic

11 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

It is not only too soon but against a very tough Sevco it is always a bad time to judge one of our players.

Too much knicker-wetting during the window and surprise surprise when we don't instantly become world beaters or win comfortably the pant soakers drip right out all over the forum . .

Tansey and the rest of our squad will provide us with the results we need to keep us up . . . When that starts, it will make all the difference. :magic

I'm an optimist by nature. Despite that, any points we take away from home against Celtic,  the Ibrox team or Aberdeen would come as an unexpected bonus. 

We have a more experienced and better balanced side with some cover on the bench.  That's already an improvement. 

Get up to speed. Track runners.  Cover for each other when we move forward and we can give this a real go.. And succeed. 

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Not tracking runners is a big problem at the moment. Hopefully the new guys know how to do that.

^^^^^^^This.

Been a major problem all season, has to stop or we will continue to offer chances to the opposition in spades....

4 minutes ago, gstretchuk said:

We already have S McGinn who has the pace of a 56 year old...

I understand why people think like this - at times he is not in the right place to cover and it has bit us regularly.

This was not really the problem against Sevco in general (It was a ref giving them penalties for nothing) 

Now that Tansey is getting up to fitness, and we have more going forwards, I think Tansey and S. McGinn will be able to cover back better without getting caught up the park so much.

One further problem we have is that we just don't play for 90 minutes. So let's not burn ourselves out for 60 and suffer for the last 30. I don't know if it is fitness or mental fitness, but we really ought to be able to manage the 90 a whole lot better. 

New Team from here on in - we will soon see. 

I speculate that we will kick on and pass the other 2 just ahead of us for now. . . . :spud7

10 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

I understand why people think like this - at times he is not in the right place to cover and it has bit us regularly.

This was not really the problem against Sevco in general (It was a ref giving them penalties for nothing) 

Now that Tansey is getting up to fitness, and we have more going forwards, I think Tansey and S. McGinn will be able to cover back better without getting caught up the park so much.

One further problem we have is that we just don't play for 90 minutes. So let's not burn ourselves out for 60 and suffer for the last 30. I don't know if it is fitness or mental fitness, but we really ought to be able to manage the 90 a whole lot better. 

New Team from here on in - we will soon see. 

I speculate that we will kick on and pass the other 2 just ahead of us for now. . . . :spud7

McGinn has to play more of a Scott Brown roll just infront of defence..stop hoing so far forward then hasn't the pace to get back...we would be more solid at back if so..should be playing a 4-1-4-1 formation or 4-1-3-2 imo...

2 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

McGinn has to play more of a Scott Brown roll just infront of defence..stop hoing so far forward then hasn't the pace to get back...we would be more solid at back if so..should be playing a 4-1-4-1 formation or 4-1-3-2 imo…

A GOOD TEAM should not have a player stuck in one spot. The entire team needs to cover when a player charges up the park - we need to think offensively and defensively and get the balance right. So sometimes Stephen will go up - he does score on occasion, but Tansey or another midfielder should be looking to cover him, especially on a loss of possession

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

A GOOD TEAM should not have a player stuck in one spot. The entire team needs to cover when a player charges up the park - we need to think offensively and defensively and get the balance right. So sometimes Stephen will go up - he does score on occasion, but Tansey or another midfielder should be looking to cover him, especially on a loss of possession

A game of Football is a constantly changing pattern.  Technical ability, positional sense,  tactical awareness and fitness are crucial.  The top teams have targets of seconds in which they are expected to regain possession.  This requires commitment and serious levels of concentration. The ability to slot in and cover in defence or make up an extra man into attack is helped by having pace.  It looks a simple game but played at speed it is very demanding.