Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

4 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

We're you at the match in Stirling against the Albion?  He was a hero. 

Yes i was there but one game doesn't constitute a life-time...yes he helped us stay up but was a very average footballer imo. Liked to run across park never looking up with the ball at his feet. Was a great servant to Saint's but far from a great player. Did ok in 1st division which was always his level...

Edited by gstretchuk

1 hour ago, gstretchuk said:

Yes i was there but one game doesn't constitute a life-time...yes he helped us stay up but was a very average footballer imo. Liked tovrun across park never looking up with the ball at his feet. Was a great servant to Saint's but far from a great player. Did ok in 1st division which was always his level...

Sorry, completely disagree. A superb servant and a bloody good player.

4 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Yes i was there but one game doesn't constitute a life-time...yes he helped us stay up but was a very average footballer imo. Liked tovrun across park never looking up with the ball at his feet. Was a great servant to Saint's but far from a great player. Did ok in 1st division which was always his level...

At his peak he would walk into pretty much any Saints team I have seen since the mid-80's.

No idea where you are going with this.

17 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Yes i was there but one game doesn't constitute a life-time...yes he helped us stay up but was a very average footballer imo. Liked to run across park never looking up with the ball at his feet. Was a great servant to Saint's but far from a great player. Did ok in 1st division which was always his level...

Agreed. Like Mark Yardley who I thought at the time was a great player all his best work was done outwith the top league and didn't really shine when in the top league. 

Jim Goodwin did shine in the top league and for that reason was in my opinion a better player than Yardley or Murray. Same applies to Stephen Thompson. A better player who performed well in the top league. 

Yardley and Murray were certainly true to the cause and popular but no one else was interested in taking them from us. 

55 minutes ago, Oldfellow said:

Agreed. Like Mark Yardley who I thought at the time was a great player all his best work was done outwith the top league and didn't really shine when in the top league. 

Jim Goodwin did shine in the top league and for that reason was in my opinion a better player than Yardley or Murray. Same applies to Stephen Thompson. A better player who performed well in the top league. 

Yardley and Murray were certainly true to the cause and popular but no one else was interested in taking them from us. 

Spot on.

I often thought Shuggie Murray was the overlooked player at the end of the Great Escape season in the 2006/07 season.

He was absolutely brilliant and epitomised the effort and desire that was required to keep us up that year, especially away to Dundee United in early May.

3 hours ago, Oldfellow said:

Yardley didn't get much of a chance often sub to some right chancers

Murray didn't look out of place in Gus McPherson's SPL teams

6 hours ago, JM1 said:

I often thought Shuggie Murray was the overlooked player at the end of the Great Escape season in the 2006/07 season.

He was absolutely brilliant and epitomised the effort and desire that was required to keep us up that year, especially away to Dundee United in early May.

He was a player who knew what his talents were and played to these inside the team. A professional.

• 2 months later...
41 minutes ago, linwood bud said:

I see the boy Williamson has been released by the pars. Not saw anything of him this year, but last year when we were in the championship I thought he was awesome. Could be worth a punt?

Being released by the Pars - not good enough for the Premiership . . .