Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

20 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Window opens tomorrow

Gus will have his targets

Watch this space

I reckon first we will get Corbu , and then hopefully Poppy..................

Then the Marquee loan signings of Morgan, McAllister and McCorrie..................... 

You reckon Corbu may be an option now that Hodson is now away? Thought he looked pretty good for all i seen of him. I am not sure how versatile he is right enough. Can he fill more than right-back if required?

There will be players announced very soon. It's all about the window opening, players contracts expiring and negotiations in general whilst players are on holiday. I'd like to think we will have some business done within the next few weeks.

26 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Heard that we've made contact regarding getting Lyons for another season. Showed potential to improve, but needs more consistency. emoji106.png

I would be surprised if this was not the case. Oran and Lyons are keen to work together...

There were times he was frustrating, but he gets unfair press on this forum. He really works his socks off, and I remember him making telling contributions, scoring, laying on a goal and covering back blocking or making a telling tackle (Which was not always his strongest point). This lad can play a bit and is still improving - I would take him back in a minute if we had the chance, unless we could get someone even better . . .

4 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

I would be surprised if this was not the case. Oran and Lyons are keen to work together...

There were times he was frustrating, but he gets unfair press on this forum. He really works his socks off, and I remember him making telling contributions, scoring, laying on a goal and covering back blocking or making a telling tackle (Which was not always his strongest point). This lad can play a bit and is still improving - I would take him back in a minute if we had the chance, unless we could get someone even better . . .

Jeff King's still available :mellow: 

12 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Lyons was not a standout for me and I am hopeful we could do better. He did contribute but not nearly enough. 

This.

it will be interesting to see who Kearney actually signs, rather than who he chases!

Lyons offered no more than say Edwards or Willock. He obviously has something about him, but it didnt work/fit in our midfield set up. Would be nice to see Popescu back, and to hang on to Hladky, but the reality of the summer transfer window is good players with a pedigree are happy to wait till after the window shuts if need be to get the best possible deal for themselves. And those two will be snapped up!

last season Stubbs set off at. A cracking pace announcing signing, upon signing. The trouble we know was most were young loanees, possibly with bright futures, and young non league players who had never played full time pro football. Add in players like Kpweka who had barely played and you had a recipe for disaster.

he did work out his obvious mistakes by trying to compensate by signing Hodson, Edwards  etc, but the squad was completely inbalanced in experience and professional knowledge.

Kearney spent a mini fortune on Ferdinand, Hammil and Jackson, although it didnt really change much as the remainder of Ross's squad were playing badly. January strangely for clubs like us is a better window, as players need to get fixed up quickly, and no one is keen on signing an unfit, off the pace player after the window shuts. Enter our Eastern European etc players like Hladky, Popescu, Dryer, Musek, and laterally a bedded in Cody Cooke to give Kearney just enough to dodge relegation in a penalty kick shoot out.

we dont have the funds to buy the quality of Popescu, but think on what a couple of additions like Willock, Coulson, Jones or indeed Edwards could add now they have a bit more under their belt?i dont for a minute think we'll resign any of those guys, but that is the market we will end up seeking to exploit, perhaps having to take old bigot loanees, that we probably wont get till the season starts.

the Hammil, Popescu and Hladky's of this world will be out of our reach until the window shuts, by then we will inevitably be chasing our tails given the spine of the squad that got results in the last quarter are gone!

14 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

This.

it will be interesting to see who Kearney actually signs, rather than who he chases!

Lyons offered no more than say Edwards or Willock. He obviously has something about him, but it didnt work/fit in our midfield set up. Would be nice to see Popescu back, and to hang on to Hladky, but the reality of the summer transfer window is good players with a pedigree are happy to wait till after the window shuts if need be to get the best possible deal for themselves. And those two will be snapped up!

last season Stubbs set off at. A cracking pace announcing signing, upon signing. The trouble we know was most were young loanees, possibly with bright futures, and young non league players who had never played full time pro football. Add in players like Kpweka who had barely played and you had a recipe for disaster.

he did work out his obvious mistakes by trying to compensate by signing Hodson, Edwards  etc, but the squad was completely inbalanced in experience and professional knowledge.

Kearney spent a mini fortune on Ferdinand, Hammil and Jackson, although it didnt really change much as the remainder of Ross's squad were playing badly. January strangely for clubs like us is a better window, as players need to get fixed up quickly, and no one is keen on signing an unfit, off the pace player after the window shuts. Enter our Eastern European etc players like Hladky, Popescu, Dryer, Musek, and laterally a bedded in Cody Cooke to give Kearney just enough to dodge relegation in a penalty kick shoot out.

we dont have the funds to buy the quality of Popescu, but think on what a couple of additions like Willock, Coulson, Jones or indeed Edwards could add now they have a bit more under their belt?i dont for a minute think we'll resign any of those guys, but that is the market we will end up seeking to exploit, perhaps having to take old bigot loanees, that we probably wont get till the season starts.

the Hammil, Popescu and Hladky's of this world will be out of our reach until the window shuts, by then we will inevitably be chasing our tails given the spine of the squad that got results in the last quarter are gone!

Decent post.

The players you mention - Willock, Jones, etc - were clearly decent. Just the right players at the wrong time. Sometimes a clearout is needed. It's a bit like Ross binning off Hardie and Shankland in 16-17. Both potentially top-flight strikers yet clearly not what we needed at that exact time. Mad to think the strikeforce we had at the club then (with Sutton as well), and how little they were achieving.

As you've said, it's ok to add a sprinkling of these sorts of players to an established squad, but chucking them all into the mix int he way you have described was a terrible idea.

The way Cooke came through towards the end of the season kinda backs this up. There's a player in there (I like him a lot, tbh, and hope he can push on more), but to expect him/them to hit the ground running when there was that much discord at the club was always going to be a big ask.

Edited by Magic Monkey

12 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Decent post.

The players you mention - Willock, Jones, etc - were clearly decent. Just the right players at the wrong time. Sometimes a clearout is needed. It's a bit like Ross binning off Hardie and Shankland in 16-17. Both potentially top-flight strikers yet clearly not what we needed at that exact time. Mad to think the strikeforce we had at the club then (with Sutton as well), and how little they were achieving.

As you've said, it's ok to add a sprinkling of these sorts of players to an established squad, but chucking them all into the mix int he way you have described was a terrible idea.

The way Cooke came through towards the end of the season kinda backs this up. There's a player in there (I like him a lot, tbh, and hope he can push on more), but to expect him/them to hit the ground running when there was that much discord at the club was always going to be a big ask.

And there in lies the problem of signing the good experienced players on our budget to compliment young academy graduates or loanees. It shows you the gulf in having a settled set up like St Johnstone, Well, where they can retain more players each season as they are actually signed on to contracts, versus the likes of us having to change almost the whole squad twice a season!

we can only hope there are one or two Eastern Europeans in the offing who are already experienced.

3 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Lyons was a hard worker. I'll give him that. Maybe Oran was playing him in the wrong position,  although unlikely as he knew him better than anyone, but for someone playing behind a striker he point blank refused to shoot. Lyons frustrated the life out of me as he always wanted to pass the ball when in good positions and when forced to shoot (like at Hamilton), he made such a mess of golden opportunities. There is no point playing someone in the hole behind a striker who has no confidence to have a pop and abdicates all responsibility.

16 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Lyons was a hard worker. I'll give him that. Maybe Oran was playing him in the wrong position,  although unlikely as he knew him better than anyone, but for someone playing behind a striker he point blank refused to shoot. Lyons frustrated the life out of me as he always wanted to pass the ball when in good positions and when forced to shoot (like at Hamilton), he made such a mess of golden opportunities. There is no point playing someone in the hole behind a striker who has no confidence to have a pop and abdicates all responsibility.

He was played out wide on the left most of the time when Magennis was injured - not his natural position.

He never missed many games and Oran stuck him in the 1st 11 almost every time... Yes you are right, sometimes he made the wrong decisions and was not greedy or clinical enough at other times, but compared to Edwards, who also had great energy, Lyon's was much much better and far more effective for us... His winner against Dee was a real 3 pointer plus a kick in the teeth for them too . . .

I am not saying he is a world beater or one of our best players - simply that his contribution overall was decent, and that Oran and Brad are keen to scratch each other's backs for mutual benefit - and for our beloved club. He is not the finished article, but may be much better next season, having half a season in this league behind him now - IF Oran wants him back and IF he is allowed to come back - we will soon see... IF someone better comes in, GREAT!

4 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

And there in lies the problem of signing the good experienced players on our budget to compliment young academy graduates or loanees. It shows you the gulf in having a settled set up like St Johnstone, Well, where they can retain more players each season as they are actually signed on to contracts, versus the likes of us having to change almost the whole squad twice a season!

we can only hope there are one or two Eastern Europeans in the offing who are already experienced.

In various articles people seem to presume that having a settled side is superior. I noticed this summer Motherwell have off-loaded 15 players to date - more than us and most Premiership teams. And Turnbull looks like he will be away soon too...

There are clearly some advantages in having a team mainly made up from the previous year, with only a few additions each year, but there can be disadvantages too...

Potentially this summer they could lose far more than their usual quota, and they are not used to having to bring in so many - they may not do it as well as they would for the usual quota.  Their also is a chance that the team can become pretty stagnant, and let's be honest the Fakes have hardly been a joy to watch...

I'm afraid teams like Well and us will have to make big squad changes from time to time, sometimes regularly, but other teams too will get their share of this AND manager changes, just like we faced last summer. So we are in a much better place right now and hopefully by January, far less change will be required . . .

Edited by Sweeper07

6 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:
6 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Jeff King's still available :mellow: 

and will remain so.........................

5 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

This.

Your argument reminds me of a snake chasing a rat up its own arse, wrote lots and said feck all?😎