Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

5 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

Decent post.

The players you mention - Willock, Jones, etc - were clearly decent. Just the right players at the wrong time. Sometimes a clearout is needed. It's a bit like Ross binning off Hardie and Shankland in 16-17. Both potentially top-flight strikers yet clearly not what we needed at that exact time. Mad to think the strikeforce we had at the club then (with Sutton as well), and how little they were achieving.

As you've said, it's ok to add a sprinkling of these sorts of players to an established squad, but chucking them all into the mix int he way you have described was a terrible idea.

The way Cooke came through towards the end of the season kinda backs this up. There's a player in there (I like him a lot, tbh, and hope he can push on more), but to expect him/them to hit the ground running when there was that much discord at the club was always going to be a big ask.

Wrong oh soooo wrong, otherwise why did we not keep them?  Whether or not they improved once they are elsewhere is irrelevant; the point is that whilst they were playing for us they were NOT good enough.  Edwards ,Willock, King, Heaton and Kpweka in particular were abysmal, Jones I thought was simply too inexperienced, he may improve but personally I think not.  The manager who checked them all out; decided to keep one; Cooke, who does seem to have potential, (in my view).  I think / hope he comes good and preferably this season. 

9 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

This.

it will be interesting to see who Kearney actually signs, rather than who he chases!

Lyons offered no more than say Edwards or Willock. He obviously has something about him, but it didnt work/fit in our midfield set up. Would be nice to see Popescu back, and to hang on to Hladky, but the reality of the summer transfer window is good players with a pedigree are happy to wait till after the window shuts if need be to get the best possible deal for themselves. And those two will be snapped up!

last season Stubbs set off at. A cracking pace announcing signing, upon signing. The trouble we know was most were young loanees, possibly with bright futures, and young non league players who had never played full time pro football. Add in players like Kpweka who had barely played and you had a recipe for disaster.

he did work out his obvious mistakes by trying to compensate by signing Hodson, Edwards  etc, but the squad was completely inbalanced in experience and professional knowledge.

Kearney spent a mini fortune on Ferdinand, Hammil and Jackson, although it didnt really change much as the remainder of Ross's squad were playing badly. January strangely for clubs like us is a better window, as players need to get fixed up quickly, and no one is keen on signing an unfit, off the pace player after the window shuts. Enter our Eastern European etc players like Hladky, Popescu, Dryer, Musek, and laterally a bedded in Cody Cooke to give Kearney just enough to dodge relegation in a penalty kick shoot out.

we dont have the funds to buy the quality of Popescu, but think on what a couple of additions like Willock, Coulson, Jones or indeed Edwards could add now they have a bit more under their belt?i dont for a minute think we'll resign any of those guys, but that is the market we will end up seeking to exploit, perhaps having to take old bigot loanees, that we probably wont get till the season starts.

the Hammil, Popescu and Hladky's of this world will be out of our reach until the window shuts, by then we will inevitably be chasing our tails given the spine of the squad that got results in the last quarter are gone!

The system the board put in place for identifying players post Stubbs, worked fairly successful in such a short space of time, when you look at the January window. I'd like to think leading into the summer window we will be much better prepared to bring in players capable of playing at this level. 

1 hour ago, kevo_smfc said:

The system the board put in place for identifying players post Stubbs, worked fairly successful in such a short space of time, when you look at the January window. I'd like to think leading into the summer window we will be much better prepared to bring in players capable of playing at this level. 

Hope so, would be good to not have a full swap out in January again.

17 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

Heard that we've made contact regarding getting Lyons for another season. Showed potential to improve, but needs more consistency. emoji106.png

If i had bought a season ticket i would be asking for a refund if this was the standard of player Saints were looking to sign....a truly awful footballer who offered absolutely nothing..might have scored one goal but christ he was bad..no pace, can't read the game, can't tackle, can't shoot..offers absolutely nothing...we never scored goals till he was substituted in games...think there was a game where in 17 minutes he touched ball once..garbage...

3 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

If i had bought a season ticket i would be asking for a refund if this was the standard of player Saints were looking to sign....a truly awful footballer who offered absolutely nothing..might have scored one goal but christ he was bad..no pace, can't read the game, can't tackle, can't shoot..offers absolutely nothing...we never scored goals till he was substituted in games...think there was a game where in 17 minutes he touched ball once..garbage...

At least he is just one person not a quarter of a total wanker

6 minutes ago, JM1 said:

Imagine asking for a refund of your season ticket cos your team signed a certain player emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png🤦‍♂️

Wish I had demanded a refund after Hay's signings. 

5 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Shull, buy the ticket and get one for Abbey while your at it. If the tip jar is full get one for Faraway Saint too. In the long run it will be a saving when you think he'll be buying you a pie and bovril and Abbey a hot dog and coke.

27 minutes ago, insaintee said:

Shull, buy the ticket and get one for Abbey while your at it. If the tip jar is full get one for Faraway Saint too. In the long run it will be a saving when you think he'll be buying you a pie and bovril and Abbey a hot dog and coke.

The wee yin stopped going around last December. She prefers playing football and going out with her pals. Don't blame her. When I was her age I hated going also. And now 50 years later, I hate it even more. No Season Ticket from now on. 

37 minutes ago, shull said:

The wee yin stopped going around last December. She prefers playing football and going out with her pals. Don't blame her. When I was her age I hated going also. And now 50 years later, I hate it even more. No Season Ticket from now on. 

Good on you shull, it put a lot more into the clubs coffers if you just pay full whack every week.

16 hours ago, kevo_smfc said:

You would like to think that - Good - your thinking  also has reasonable foundation with Oran/Gus etc now.. LPM though thought Stubbs and his players should be given their chance and that Oran was a bit part non league manager - so don't be surprised that he comes out with more tripe like the quote you were responding to - here it is :-

the Hammil, Popescu and Hladky's of this world will be out of our reach until the window shuts, by then we will inevitably be chasing our tails given the spine of the squad that got results in the last quarter are gone!

He will be shown up soon when either Popescu re-signs and a number of other better players arrive than those we had last season in our squad....or both

10 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

I seem to recall similar comments about a certain Mooy.  I wonder what happened to him?

5 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Kearney had the same number of his signings in the sides he selected in the play offs as Stubbs signings... and one of them was Kyle McAllister!

So obviously not “far better”

emoji867.pngemoji8.png

Indeed.

A pity Stubb's signings were absolutely shite.

I should have said, "Way, way" better. Mad smiley 58

6 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Kearney had the same number of his signings in the sides he selected in the play offs as Stubbs signings... and one of them was Kyle McAllister!

So obviously not “far better”

emoji867.pngemoji8.png

Pish. If Stubbs had had his way most of the team that Kearney fielded would have been out the door and replaced by Stubbs' no-marks.

Spoiler

Indeed.

I know he is a Stubbs signing, but I like Cody Cooke.

He has come on a bundle since the start of the season and it showed in the last few games of the season. I know you can argue he was slightly lucky with his Dundee hat-trick, but he was there and took his chances when it mattered.

He is a handful, puts himself about and defenders won't like him.

Interestingly I also like Danny Mullen for lots of different reasons, but he is also a pain in the butt and there is skill in there as was shown in the goal he scored against D Utd. I know he was a JR signing, but he has also come a long way since he came to Paisley.

37 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Indeed.

I know he is a Stubbs signing, but I like Cody Cooke.

He has come on a bundle since the start of the season and it showed in the last few games of the season. I know you can argue he was slightly lucky with his Dundee hat-trick, but he was there and took his chances when it mattered.

He is a handful, puts himself about and defenders won't like him.

Interestingly I also like Danny Mullen for lots of different reasons, but he is also a pain in the butt and there is skill in there as was shown in the goal he scored against D Utd. I know he was a JR signing, but he has also come a long way since he came to Paisley.

I think Cooke has potential too, but I think I would have scored a hat trick against that Dundee keeper.