Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

7 hours ago, The Original 59er said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Indeed.

A pity Stubb's signings were absolutely shite.

I should have said, "Way, way" better. Mad smiley 58

I know he is a Stubbs signing, but I like Cody Cooke.

He has come on a bundle since the start of the season and it showed in the last few games of the season. I know you can argue he was slightly lucky with his Dundee hat-trick, but he was there and took his chances when it mattered.

He is a handful, puts himself about and defenders won't like him.

Interestingly I also like Danny Mullen for lots of different reasons, but he is also a pain in the butt and there is skill in there as was shown in the goal he scored against D Utd. I know he was a JR signing, but he has also come a long way since he came to Paisley

I think Cooke and Mullen are a well suited partnership , who,s attitude will keep the opposition's back four busy . 

Paul Sturrock suggests playing the ball early to two strikers and allowing the strikers to build the moves from the front as being the most effective way to play football , as it cuts out defensive mistakes . 

Thing this pair would be suited to that style of play .

9 hours ago, Krankies therapist said:

Not speculation but watch oot for three new faces by middle of next week . One we all Ken already , one with English championship experience and one fae oor Irish pals that won’t get you too excited. . and none o them with any connection to green or blue bigots . Ones a bit of a cheating bassa diver though . 

Finally a bit of excitement 😂

9 hours ago, Krankies therapist said:

Not speculation but watch oot for three new faces by middle of next week . One we all Ken already , one with English championship experience and one fae oor Irish pals that won’t get you too excited. . and none o them with any connection to green or blue bigots . Ones a bit of a cheating bassa diver though . 

Big Mihai confirmed. 😂

11 hours ago, The Original 59er said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Indeed.

A pity Stubb's signings were absolutely shite.

I should have said, "Way, way" better. Mad smiley 58

I know he is a Stubbs signing, but I like Cody Cooke.

He has come on a bundle since the start of the season and it showed in the last few games of the season. I know you can argue he was slightly lucky with his Dundee hat-trick, but he was there and took his chances when it mattered.

He is a handful, puts himself about and defenders won't like him.

Interestingly I also like Danny Mullen for lots of different reasons, but he is also a pain in the butt and there is skill in there as was shown in the goal he scored against D Utd. I know he was a JR signing, but he has also come a long way since he came to Paisley.

Mullen's issue is that he refuses to accept, and the manager fails to,impress on him that he is a winger!

he has neither the physique, strength or guile to play up top in a lone or pairing. His game is better suited to providing good supply to a forward/forwards. His woefully poor goal return is indicative of being poor at holding it up.

played on the wing with Cooke, and an established (non-hobbit) striker he would shine, and might actually get a few more goals as a consequence of the others holding it up, or cutting in on his own.

37 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Mullen's issue is that he refuses to accept, and the manager fails to,impress on him that he is a winger!

he has neither the physique, strength or guile to play up top in a lone or pairing. His game is better suited to providing good supply to a forward/forwards. His woefully poor goal return is indicative of being poor at holding it up.

played on the wing with Cooke, and an established (non-hobbit) striker he would shine, and might actually get a few more goals as a consequence of the others holding it up, or cutting in on his own.

Spot on

41 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Decent shout.

33 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Mullen was our most prolific striker - of players with more than the equivalent of 5 whole games played - with a goal every 280 minutes last season in the Premiership. For comparison, Jackson got 1 every 354 minutes, Nazon 1 in his 478 minutes.

Cooke had a far better record due to his hat trick against Dundee, but only played 310 minutes in total, with the 3 goals coming in one 24 minute purple patch. He and Mullen could make a very good partnership. 

Mullen also got crucial goals in the play off final, the goals that won us the opener against Dundee, and also the winner against Dundee away, plus a late equaliser against St Johnstone and the goal that put us ahead at Livingston, both in the post split fixtures, which helped us avoid bottom spot. 

Danny has proven he can score goals at the level we are at. Hopefully he can steer clear of injuries and get a clear run next season. 

9 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Mullen was our most prolific striker - of players with more than the equivalent of 5 whole games played - with a goal every 280 minutes last season in the Premiership. For comparison, Jackson got 1 every 354 minutes, Nazon 1 in his 478 minutes.

Cooke had a far better record due to his hat trick against Dundee, but only played 310 minutes in total, with the 3 goals coming in one 24 minute purple patch. He and Mullen could make a very good partnership. 

Mullen also got crucial goals in the play off final, the goals that won us the opener against Dundee, and also the winner against Dundee away, plus a late equaliser against St Johnstone and the goal that put us ahead at Livingston, both in the post split fixtures, which helped us avoid bottom spot. 

Danny has proven he can score goals at the level we are at. Hopefully he can steer clear of injuries and get a clear run next season. 

That's all true - and I certainly hope he keeps his place in team, but as LPM says, perhaps his strengths lie outside the box, facing the goal, feeding off others, rather than playing as an out-and-out striker where, especially playing for St Mirren, you're not seeing so much of the ball.

15 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

That's all true - and I certainly hope he keeps his place in team, but as LPM says, perhaps his strengths lie outside the box, facing the goal, feeding off others, rather than playing as an out-and-out striker where, especially playing for St Mirren, you're not seeing so much of the ball.

I think personally he'd be wasted out wide. His hard work and physicality is ideally suited to battling with central defenders. For a small guy he appears to have great strength, and is better in the air than his height would suggest. The most important thing though is that he scores goals. Bar Cooke's quickfire hattrick, Mullen was our biggest goal threat, and especially when he was given a run of starts. Time will tell, but good to see reasoned debate on the subject.

2 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I think personally he'd be wasted out wide. His hard work and physicality is ideally suited to battling with central defenders. For a small guy he appears to have great strength, and is better in the air than his height would suggest. The most important thing though is that he scores goals. Bar Cooke's quickfire hattrick, Mullen was our biggest goal threat, and especially when he was given a run of starts. Time will tell, but good to see reasoned debate on the subject.

Fair enough.

It's a weird one, but I wouldn't be totally distraught if Cooke and Mullen were lining up in our first game of the season.

I also don't think our squad needs major work (or: we've got he spine of an ok team). This might be sheer delusion after the season we've just had - but if you consider Magennis & MacKenzie were out for long spells, Mullen missed a lot, Cooke was slow getting up to speed and then periodically injured (he says)... we just need to add some real quality around the edges and maybe one or two squad players (which is why missing out on Hodson was disappointing.)

I'm certainly a lot happier with our squad right now than I was this time last year. If we could do some early business on Popescu, MacKenzie and maybe McAllister (or similar) then we'd be in decent-ish shape for the league cup games, at least.

14 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Fair enough.

It's a weird one, but I wouldn't be totally distraught if Cooke and Mullen were lining up in our first game of the season.

I also don't think our squad needs major work (or: we've got he spine of an ok team). This might be sheer delusion after the season we've just had - but if you consider Magennis & MacKenzie were out for long spells, Mullen missed a lot, Cooke was slow getting up to speed and then periodically injured (he says)... we just need to add some real quality around the edges and maybe one or two squad players (which is why missing out on Hodson was disappointing.)

I'm certainly a lot happier with our squad right now than I was this time last year. If we could do some early business on Popescu, MacKenzie and maybe McAllister (or similar) then we'd be in decent-ish shape for the league cup games, at least.

Would be great to get Popescu back, and hopeful Gary Mack will sign on again, and hopefull stay fit. I think we need a bit more in midfield, and a couple of wide attackers, as well as some more versatile squad players. Hope to see some movement soon on incomings.

I would be concerned if our front pairing is Cooke and Mullen this season. No offence to Cooke as he may come good and shows signs of improving, however he only started 3 games in the whole of last season (less than most of the rubbish Stubbs' signed) and that was because of injuries. Still unproven for me. I like Danny but feel that he needs to play with another striker as he has no space when on his own and he needs space to work in (but not out wide). We certainly need more options than we currently have.

20 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Fair enough.

But do you think we can get Top 4 :whistle

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Good interview on buddie vision with Oran regarding signings , squad of 20/21. Assistant manager. No names as of yet. I have a sneaky feeling Charlie Adam might pop up. 

Charlie Adam would be great but don't see this happening 

37 minutes ago, pod said:

Of course we can. Tony said so. :rolleyes:

Not quite. He said when he was a player we could get into Europe and of course he is right. Followed that up with so why cant we go and do it again. The Motherwell's and St Johnstone's have done it why cant we. I agree with him we build towards that. Not like tabloids to twist my melon man. 

3 hours ago, waldorf34 said:
4 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Spot on

You two need to watch out for the Hobbit Police!  😄

Pish. If Stubbs had had his way most of the team that Kearney fielded would have been out the door and replaced by Stubbs' no-marks.

Stubbs wanted rid of the guys that Kearney got rid of anyway, Smith, McShane, Eckersley, et al.

Guys that folk line you were having a meltdown about Stubbs wanting rid of.

Guys like the McGinn’s, Baird, Flynn, Magennis & Mullen were all getting a game for Stubbs.

The fact is that you were wrong.

[emoji1]