Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

I think
Paul Sturrock suggests playing the ball early to two strikers and allowing the strikers to build the moves from the front as being the most effective way to play football , as it cuts out defensive mistakes . 
Thing this pair would be suited to that style of play .

That’s what I’ve been suggesting for many years!

Stubbs wanted rid of the guys that Kearney got rid of anyway, Smith, McShane, Eckersley, et al.

Guys that folk line you were having a meltdown about Stubbs wanting rid of.

Guys like the McGinn’s, Baird, Flynn, Magennis & Mullen were all getting a game for Stubbs.

The fact is that you were wrong.

[emoji1]

No mention of Gary Mac [emoji23] no surprise there

Kearney got the best out of Flynn also who was like a transformed player playing centrally who I remember you also arguing with me at the start of the season saying Flynn is a winger and not a central midfielder [emoji23]

7 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Stubbs wanted rid of the guys that Kearney got rid of anyway, Smith, McShane, Eckersley, et al.

Guys that folk line you were having a meltdown about Stubbs wanting rid of.

Guys like the McGinn’s, Baird, Flynn, Magennis & Mullen were all getting a game for Stubbs.

The fact is that you were wrong.

emoji1.png

You are totally deluded living in your Stubbs wonderland and spouting the same bullshit.

Stubbs only wanted to keep 3 players that had won the Championship only months before - Magennis, Samson and Smith and that was based on a chat with a  gibbering journalist. What manager chooses a squad based on a journalist's opinion? The rest could all go according to Stubbs.

He told MacKenzie to find a new club weeks after he had signed a new contract and even before Stubbs had watched him play. The same MacKenzie who was great and undefeated in the last six games of the season to keep us up but Stubbs wanted Kpekawa and Heaton as his centre halfs. £80k on a donkey that did not even attend the playoffs for the team that gave him a chance and pay his wages. Heaton over MacKenzie?  What an idiot. He never even gave Heaton 5 mins in League games after watching him being torn apart by amateurs of Spartans and Queens Park.

He told Baird to find a new club.

Flynn started only one League game under Stubbs with Stubbs preferring Willock.

Stubbs demanded the Board get rid of Captain Fantastic but the Board refused. They wisely got rid of Stubbs instead.

Paul McGinn, Player of the Year, was dropped as soon as Hodson was signed.

Stubbs started Smith in 4 of the 5 League games and only decided to get rid of him when Smith called him out for being a wanker.

With the exception of Magennis and Samson the players that were from last season and the mainstay for keeping us up were not wanted by Stubbs. What manager tells players to find new clubs when there is little chance of that happening and he has no replacements?

The guy signed the worst squad of new players ever assembled by a St Mirren manager. He wanted rid of the players who Kearney realised were the only decent pros that he had in the squad.

Stubbs' signings :

Coulson - loaned out to Cambridge in January - never played for them.

Kpekawa -  no club since we released him from a 2 year deal (2 years?????).

Heaton - 5 starts for non League Kidderminster and not played in months.

Willock - went on loan again to Crawley Town. Released by Man U. Signed for Gillingham today.

Jones - back to Southampton's U23 side.

Brock-Marsden - released by Birmingham, returned to Denmark.

Jeff King - without a club.

Ryan Edwards - returned to Hearts. Played 4 games for them.

Hodson - now with Gillingham.

Cooke - still with St Mirren. 3 starts all season.

Rogers - now back at Aberdeen after failing to get in the first team.

Aye, Stubbs sure had an eye for a player :):):)

It's good Kearney not only realised that Stubbsy's signings who were too pish like Heaton, Kpekawa, King and Brock-Madsen weren't anywhere near good enough to play, but also got the best out of players like McGinn, Flynn, Mullen and Baird that Stubbsy couldn't, in addition to adding classy players like Hladky, Popescu and Hammill that Stubbsy wasn't able to tempt to play for us, isn't it?

6 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

Fair enough.

It's a weird one, but I wouldn't be totally distraught if Cooke and Mullen were lining up in our first game of the season.

I also don't think our squad needs major work (or: we've got he spine of an ok team). This might be sheer delusion after the season we've just had - but if you consider Magennis & MacKenzie were out for long spells, Mullen missed a lot, Cooke was slow getting up to speed and then periodically injured (he says)... we just need to add some real quality around the edges and maybe one or two squad players (which is why missing out on Hodson was disappointing.)

I'm certainly a lot happier with our squad right now than I was this time last year. If we could do some early business on Popescu, MacKenzie and maybe McAllister (or similar) then we'd be in decent-ish shape for the league cup games, at least.

Funny thing is if You discount Popescu and McAllister thats pretty much the squad Stubbs inherited.

26 minutes ago, Sonny said:

You are totally deluded living in your Stubbs wonderland and spouting the same bullshit.

Stubbs only wanted to keep 3 players that had won the Championship only months before - Magennis, Samson and Smith and that was based on a chat with a  gibbering journalist. What manager chooses a squad based on a journalist's opinion? The rest could all go according to Stubbs.

He told MacKenzie to find a new club weeks after he had signed a new contract and even before Stubbs had watched him play. The same MacKenzie who was great and undefeated in the last six games of the season to keep us up but Stubbs wanted Kpekawa and Heaton as his centre halfs. £80k on a donkey that did not even attend the playoffs for the team that gave him a chance and pay his wages. Heaton over MacKenzie?  What an idiot. He never even gave Heaton 5 mins in League games after watching him being torn apart by amateurs of Spartans and Queens Park.

Stubbs demanded the Board get rid of Captain Fantastic but the Board refused. They wisely got rid of Stubbs instead.

Stubbs started Smith in 4 of the 5 League games and only decided to get rid of him when Smith called him out for being a wanker.

With the exception of Magennis and Samson the players that were from last season and the mainstay for keeping us up were not wanted by Stubbs. What manager tells players to find new clubs when there is little chance of that happening and he has no replacements?

The guy signed the worst squad of new players ever assembled by a St Mirren manager. He wanted rid of the players who Kearney realised were the only decent pros that he had in the squad.

Stubbs' signings :

Willock - went on loan again to Crawley Town. Released by Man U. Signed for Gillingham today.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/hayden-coulson/profil/spieler/314362

aye only 14 appearances lol. If you ignore Jones going into an EPL first team squad, and Edwards being fancied by a few clubs, and Gillingham being preferred to us by Hodson tou're almost right ffs.

edit: Kpekwa signed and played for Billericay Town. Lol

one day people might stop getting a 'Stauner 4 Stubbs' and start seeing things as they are. Yes he was pish, but the board who paid to get him and sack him are the ones to hold to account.

Edited by Lord Pityme

48 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

aye only 14 appearances lol. If you ignore Jones going into an EPL first team squad, and Edwards being fancied by a few clubs, and Gillingham being preferred to us by Hodson tou're almost right ffs.

one day people might stop getting a 'Stauner 4 Stubbs' and start seeing things as they are. Yes he was pish, but the board who paid to get him and sack him are the ones to hold to account.

Last summer Stubbs signed 11 players and not one of them was any better than what we had. Shite manager.   lol

26 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Last summer Stubbs signed 11 players and not one of them was any better than what we had. Shite manager.   lol

What like Eckersley, C. smith, McShane etc...? 

Everyone knows Stubbs was mince, but the more you keep referencing him as the root of all our problems, the more you draw yourself to him. If you forget him and move on, guess what? He disappears!

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Billericay Town who play in the 6th tier of English football released Kpekwa at the end of the season. I don't think this support your argument! :whistle Are you still laughing?

Edited by smcc

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

Stubbs' signings :

I went to see Carlisle play Cambridge in March and Coulson played the full game. 

44 minutes ago, smcc said:

You mean you've forgotten what your argument was? Why does that surprise me?

What's more surprising is that he thinks that any of his posts have ever contributed to a healthy,reasoned "debate".:lol

Edited by FTOF

It's good Kearney not only realised that Stubbsy's signings who were too pish like Heaton, Kpekawa, King and Brock-Madsen weren't anywhere near good enough to play, but also got the best out of players like McGinn, Flynn, Mullen and Baird that Stubbsy couldn't, in addition to adding classy players like Hladky, Popescu and Hammill that Stubbsy wasn't able to tempt to play for us, isn't it?

I think the key fir me here is that OK was able to get the best out of several players.
Sign of a good manager ?

Are you saying sack the board ? Or are you asking for them to acknowledge their error in Stubbs appointment ?

I think the board have acknowledged their error.

Are you saying sack the board ? Or are you asking for them to acknowledge their error in Stubbs appointment ?

I think the board have acknowledged their error.

True. However some forum members won’t be happy until the board have walked naked across burning coals, whilst flogging themselves and chanting..... Repent.... Repent.

1 hour ago, turrabuddie said:

I think the key fir me here is that OK management waable to get the best out of several players.
Sign of a good manager ?

100% Oran is special if he gets the players he wants within our budget I think we will do well clearly man management  skills are very high. Out of relegations way will be successful. Top six would be amazing. If we have any ambition we must keep him. 

10 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

I think the key fir me here is that OK was able to get the best out of several players.
Sign of a good manager ?

Did he?

What about the first 20, or so, games? 

I made this exact point many times, good managers can improve a set of players, yet the only reply was they were the previous manager's players and that seemed acceptable.

Funny that. 

Edited by faraway saint

5 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

FS , well documented some were simply not up too the job hence the large turnaround in January. The rest is history as they say. Funny that.  You could not make one of the important run in games St Mirren football club must mean a lot to you. 

How do you know that? 

How do you know what's going on in my life?

How do you not ask any other far flung fuds if they made any game, even ask Oaksoft, and watch him squirm?

Does my previous 40 years of attending games not count anymore? 

Run along....................anytime this nonsense is posted it's a sure sign you're out of ideas.  🙄