Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

18 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

People are overly harsh on Heaton, very few people would turn down a higher wage and the chance to play at a higher level.

Not his fault the board sanctioned the fee for him either.

I was of this opinion too but he's hardly conducted himself very professionally in his time here. 

Time to cut him loose and move on. A very expensive mistake to make and we were taken in by the appraisal of a complete shyster.

17 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

People are overly harsh on Heaton, very few people would turn down a higher wage and the chance to play at a higher level.

While the Club that pays his wages and gave him his big chance were playing in the playoffs for their future in the Premiership,  Heaton flew off on holiday. Most players with a Twitter account mention their Club now and then. Not the bold Josh. My impression is he does not give a f**k about St Mirren.

11 minutes ago, Sonny said:

While the Club that pays his wages and gave him his big chance were playing in the playoffs for their future in the Premiership,  Heaton flew off on holiday. Most players with a Twitter account mention their Club now and then. Not the bold Josh. My impression is he does not give a f**k about St Mirren.

He's possibly read, or been told, the consistent abuse he gets on here? 

12 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Interesting to compare Josh Heaton with Cody Cooke . It's all about attitude .

Attitude & Ability...

When Heaton was dropped and ended up training with the reserves, he took the huff and ended up getting shipped out on loan.

Cooke on the other hand could have done the exact same but he got his head down, worked hard and proved many people (especially on here) wrong.

Looking forward to seeing him develop more next season.

Attitude & Ability...

When Heaton was dropped and ended up training with the reserves, he took the huff and ended up getting shipped out on loan.

Cooke on the other hand could have done the exact same but he got his head down, worked hard and proved many people (especially on here) wrong.

Ability wise

Cooke played quite a few reserve matches and performed quite well. Scored the perfect hattrick against Falkirk U20s.

Heaton on the other hand was simply not good enough at this level. Struggled against a non league side (Spartans) & a League Two side (Queens Park)

Made Pottsy look like Puyol

33 minutes ago, NB18 said:

Ability wise

Cooke played quite a few reserve matches and performed quite well. Scored the perfect hattrick against Falkirk U20s.

Heaton on the other hand was simply not good enough at this level. Struggled against a non league side (Spartans) & a League Two side (Queens Park)

Made Pottsy look like Puyol

I will raise that and say he made Kpekawa look like Puyol.

40 minutes ago, NB18 said:

Attitude & Ability...

Agreed. Vast majority of supporters have massive respect for Cooke to dig in and make good for himself by season end. 

He could have taken the easy route and chucked it in. Especially given Heaton is his flatmate and they are pals. 

11 hours ago, Sonny said:

Any last chance you had at the club, you would be up the road showing your support in the playoffs. Not this fella. Seems like he has all the wrong attitude

Edited by kevo_smfc

5 hours ago, NB18 said:

Attitude & Ability...

Absolutely this!

8 hours ago, gc_SMFC said:

This is true, the lad may not be good enough but who can blame him for accepting a deal that is financially excellent for him.......... a fair point

6 hours ago, NB18 said:
7 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Attitude & Ability...

Yes, when I was a youth many many moons ago I used to play a bit, got a trial in Wales and realised rather quickly I really wasn't good enough, it can be a hard thing to accept; for some people.

Yes, when I was a youth many many moons ago I used to play a bit, got a trial in Wales and realised rather quickly I really wasn't good enough, it can be a hard thing to accept; for some people.
Totally understand but Heaton has already experienced this when he was released from Preston after quite a few years in their Youth Academy.

Considering he was only 17/18 at the time, I'm sure that one was hard to take being a young lad wanting to start his career but he is older now and more experienced. He should know better than to take the huff if he wasn't getting game time.

Work hard and prove us all wrong.

Cooke done it, Why couldn't he?

Comes down to that key word again....
Attitude

12 hours ago, gc_SMFC said:

This is correct but people are absolutely right to be harsh on him given the way he’s treated the club and the supporters. He should’ve acted exactly the same as Cody Cooke, not go babbling to the papers/media and not bother his arse to get back in the team.

21 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

IF Liam Smith was good enough for the Premiership how come he played last season in the Championship and is there again next season...?

Does anyone seriously think Liam Smith is better than Paul McGinn ?

Don't waste your time on the troll - he is fishing for bites - ignore him and the forum is much better...

Liam Smith will play in the Premiership, it might take him time to adjust. Paul McGinn played for a very poor Partic Thistle side and was far from a stand out. Smith is DEFO one for the future. He is more skillfull than Paul, but does not seem to have Paul's engine and drive.  Would he have been a good signing yes, although he may well have ended up behind Paul in the order for the first team.

3 hours ago, Doakes said:

Cody Cooke was one of our most popular players at the end of the season

Josh Heaton makes sly digs at the club despite still being an employee 

Easy to see who’s going to have the better career...

Josh Heaton would have been watching Cody Cooke's end of season celebrations , and thinking if only . Whilst Josh made a few Bob out of St Mirren , he,s going to have to work hard to get another chance at full time football , and a few clubs will avoid him , because of his poor attitude . ( And his lack of ability )

45 minutes ago, insaintee said:

Liam Smith will play in the Premiership, it might take him time to adjust. Paul McGinn played for a very poor Partic Thistle side and was far from a stand out. Smith is DEFO one for the future. He is more skillfull than Paul, but does not seem to have Paul's engine and drive.  Would he have been a good signing yes, although he may well have ended up behind Paul in the order for the first team.

My point is not how good Liam will become (prediction) - that is unknown - it is how good he was last season (For Ayr - 4th place in the Championship), and the previous season, and yes - even in the season to come, how good will he actually be?

Last season Paul McGinn was our player of the year - RIGHT? So hardly a position we should have wished one of this season's Championship players to have filled.

The season we won the Championship Liam was great going forward, but got badly caught out defensively at times, but the Premiership is a big step up. (I remember him costing us 2 goals in 2 games)

Let's see how he and Utd do this coming season and whether or not he plays in the Premiership and improves sufficiently to handle it? My point still remains, "fans" who pine for him during this last season are daft - Paul McGinn was a much better all round choice....and he proved so...

Edited by Sweeper07

2 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

My point is not how good Liam will become (prediction) - that is unknown - it is how good he was last season (For Ayr - 4th place in the Championship), and the previous season, and in the season to come.

Last season Paul McGinn was our player of the year - RIGHT? So hardly a position we should have wished one of this season's Championship players to have filled.

The season we won the Championship Liam was great going forward, but got badly caught out defensively at times, but the Premiership is a big step up. (I remember him costing us 2 goals in 2 games)

Let's see how he and Utd do this coming season and whether or not he plays in the Premiership and improves sufficiently to handle it? My point still remains, "fans" who pine for him during this last season are daft - Paul McGinn was a much better all round choice....and he proved so...

Paul has matured to his peak we are very lucky to have him. Liam is good nowhere near the experience of Paul though. 

14 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Josh Heaton would have been watching Cody Cooke's end of season celebrations , and thinking if only . Whilst Josh made a few Bob out of St Mirren , he,s going to have to work hard to get another chance at full time football , and a few clubs will avoid him , because of his poor attitude . ( And his lack of ability )

Wonder where I've heard that before. :whistle