Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

8 minutes ago, JM1 said:

I see 3 of the 4 trialists from the French group are likely to not sign from the Stenny matchday thread.

Alceus I reckon is separate to that group. Could have been through the Duck or his agent, going on him playing for Haiti throughout the Gold Cup.

I thought he was quiet a tidy player. Would like to see him again (if we could play trialists in the League Cup emoji849.png)

What position was he?

What position was he?

As has been said by others before I could reply, a tidy midfielder.

Kept everything simple, almost always found a man.

After googling I think he's generally played in a more defensive role - a position I think we've been missing (granted we are in need of a left back, centre halves and strikers more but still).

As an aside, Kellerman looked lively when he came on and I thought Cammy Macpherson did well at right back. Definitely better going forward than Paul McGinn (although PM is better defensively).

59 minutes ago, JM1 said:

After googling I think he's generally played in a more defensive role - a position I think we've been missing (granted we are in need of a left back, centre halves and strikers more but still).

As an aside, Kellerman looked lively when he came on and I thought Cammy Macpherson did well at right back. Definitely better going forward than Paul McGinn (although PM is better defensively).

Not sure I agree with Paul McGinn's assessment.  He has created goals and scored the odd goal as well. Macpherson is talented no doubt about that. Goodwin has said he wants two players for each position though. 

Just now, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Was reported that Goodwin said it would be 4 by the end of the week.

We're definitely in negotiations with a few.

I know one has already signed - the others i'm not so clued up on and given what happened with Popescu i'll sit tight on those for now.

7 hours ago, NB18 said:

I reckon Djorkaeff is already signed up and we're just waiting for the official confirmation.

He was playing quite well on Tuesday but was hooked at half time which suggests Goody wants to keep him fit for Sunday?

I'd also be very surprised if we don't see at least two in before Sunday. Imo the transition in manager, if we already had targets identified should have only set us back a week or two max.

13 hours ago, JM1 said:

I mentioned this earlier but surely some central midfielders must be on the way out if we are bringing even more in.

Has Erhanon been played at left back in the warms up and friendlies? I think he looks a talented player but never a left back from what I've seen. I would have thought we would be developing him exactly for that defensive midfield role.

Cammy MacPherson probably isn't considered good enough to be at the heart of the team, either is Jim Kellerman. Presumably we are not betting on a fit Greg Tansey either then.

You would think Stephen McGinn and Ryan Flynn would be in the team usually, although perhaps not in McGinn's case.

We also have Kyle Magennis who I assume is going to be used out wide then, although again I think he is best in central midfield.

And Tony Andreu as well.

Despite all that I do agree that we are need of a quality ball winning defensive midfielder, so I would assume that several of the above will be sitting on the bench or finding new clubs this year.

39 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Cammy MacPherson probably isn't considered good enough to be at the heart of the team, either is Jim Kellerman. Presumably we are not betting on a fit Greg Tansey either then.

You would think Stephen McGinn and Ryan Flynn would be in the team usually, although perhaps not in McGinn's case.

We also have Kyle Magennis who I assume is going to be used out wide then, although again I think he is best in central midfield.

And Tony Andreu as well.

I'd agree with all your assumptions there - except to say I don't think we're actually that overloaded in the middle at present.

No way we can rely on Tansey being fit. Hopefully he'll get some game time this side of Xmas. I also think this is a make or break season for McPherson, but I do wonder if he'll get used as the back-up RB as well.

I bet we're shaping up in a 4-2-3-1 for most matches, and Goodwin wants two for each position.

That'd mean we've got McGinn/Flynn/Magennis as the first choice midfielders, and potentially the trialist if he's good enough.

I'd also list Magennis as a possible for being one of the three behind the striker, so we'd have: Andreu & Magennis as first choice... and after that we're a bit thin. I assume that's where Djorkaeff is being considered for, but we definitely need a true wide player - potentially McAllister if there's any chance of him coming back. Even then, I'd like to see another wide player in.

And we're still lacking two centre halves, a full back and a striker :blink:

'Kin ell, there's lots of work to be done still.

Edited by Magic Monkey

29 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I'd agree with all your assumptions there - except to say I don't think we're actually that overloaded in the middle at present.

No way we can rely on Tansey being fit. Hopefully he'll get some game time this side of Xmas. I also think this is a make or break season for McPherson, but I do wonder if he'll get used as the back-up RB as well.

I bet we're shaping up in a 4-2-3-1 for most matches, and Goodwin wants two for each position.

That'd mean we've got McGinn/Flynn/Magennis as the first choice midfielders, and potentially the trialist if he's good enough.

I'd also list Magennis as a possible for being one of the three behind the striker, so we'd have: Andreu & Magennis as first choice... and after that we're a bit thin. I assume that's where Djorkaeff is being considered for, but we definitely need a true wide player - potentially McAllister if there's any chance of him coming back. Even then, I'd like to see another wide player in.

And we're still lacking two centre halves, a full back and a striker :blink:

'Kin ell, there's lots of work to be done still.

Indeed, I think the Djorkaeff deal is done and we seem to be looking at another one or two.

I assume that Erhanon and MacPherson are being considered as full backs.

A few signings are apparently going to be announced tomorrow and as you point out the crisis areas are certainly not centre midfield. Losing Popescu is a problem, neither Baird or MacKenzie can pass a ball. We have one full back good enough for this level. No wide men. One striker that is good enough in Danny Mullen. If we are only bringing in another 5 then we have got to pray for 100% success rate from these new faces.

It's another mess of our own creation really.

eta; I am aware Popescu's passing isn't the best but he did provide the option of running the ball out of defence. Looking at the current team I struggle to see how we are going to get the ball out from the back effectively. 

Edited by Kemp