Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

29 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Anyone able to justify why we weren't in for Shankland? Jeez at zero fee he would have been just what we needed up front. Surely he would have fancied guaranteed game time in the Prem versus losing out on promotion at Utd?

How do you know we weren't? 

If the figures being widely spoken of are correct, they are paying Shankland around £600k over the course of three years between wages and signing on. I dare say that would be far too rich for our blood. 

Edited by djchapsticks

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

If the figures being widely spoken of are correct, they are paying Shankland around £600k over the course of three years between wages and signing on. I dare say that would be far too rich for our blood. 

Sweep would have told us, dafty. :P

26 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I heard  it was a £250k signing on fee and £3k a week . 

Not the best use of our budget if it's four times the pay of the rest of the team .

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Anyone able to justify why we weren't in for Shankland? Jeez at zero fee he would have been just what we needed up front. Surely he would have fancied guaranteed game time in the Prem versus losing out on promotion at Utd?

We were in for him. As were many other clubs. United are targeting promotion by April or, at the very least, administration by June and we can't compete with that.

There's also the fact that he might have been a bit scared of the step up. This way he gets paid a fortune, and could easily get 30 goals for a high-flying United side this season.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

35 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I heard  it was a £250k signing on fee and £3k a week . 

Not the best use of our budget if it's four times the pay of the rest of the team .

18 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

We were in for him. As were many other clubs. United are targeting promotion by April or, at the very least, administration by June and we can't compete with that.

There's also the fact that he might have been a bit scared of the step up. This way he gets paid a fortune, and could easily get 30 goals for a high-flying United side this season.

Some of the funniest, wackiest mace up shit i've read on here in years ffs...

just play this back to yourself..... Dundee Utd are paying Shankland £600k..! To play for three seasons.... ha, ha, ha...

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Rumoured? Yeah thats a bonafide reason. 

Although I liked Shankland in his first spell with us and obviously he's had a great spell at Ayr, I'm not convinced he would be a regular scorer in the Premiership. 

Without suggesting for one minute that we are 'aiming above our station' I imagine that JG has aspirations ...... striker wise .......  that take into account the fact that another ex Alloa, ex Buddies manager considered him simply not good enough .............. strike three and he is out.  Ps: I watched the game lat night and whilst he ran about a lot, much of it was aimless, I think we need better than Shankland.

57 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

just play this back to yourself..... Dundee Utd are paying Shankland £600k..! To play for three seasons.... ha, ha, ha...

Cool. Just point out which part of my post was wacky or "mace" up. I'll wait.

34 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Without suggesting for one minute that we are 'aiming above our station' I imagine that JG has aspirations ...... striker wise .......  that take into account the fact that another ex Alloa, ex Buddies manager considered him simply not good enough .............. strike three and he is out.  Ps: I watched the game lat night and whilst he ran about a lot, much of it was aimless, I think we need better than Shankland.

That might hold up to scrutiny if Sunderland weren't in for him too! Lol

2 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Cool. Just point out which part of my post was wacky or "mace" up. I'll wait.

Never accused you of peppering the forum with 'Mace Up' comments. Tried to pay you a backhanded condiment. Lol

but suggesting we cant compete for the services of a free agent from the championship,against a championship club is a bit far fetched.

unless.... you are ITK on the current club finances? Are we rooked?

That’s the rumour that’s pretty widespread. £3k a week, 3 year deal and a circa £200k signing fee.

I didn’t sign the contract or negotiate it. But that’s the rumour and I’ve heard that from Lorraine Kelly...

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Because Goodwin (and Oran) and Gus never wanted him...

38 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Never accused you of peppering the forum with 'Mace Up' comments. Tried to pay you a backhanded condiment. Lol

but suggesting we cant compete for the services of a free agent from the championship,against a championship club is a bit far fetched.

unless.... you are ITK on the current club finances? Are we rooked?

Nah, I just think there's only so far we'd attempt to compete for a striker who might only be ok.

7 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

That might hold up to scrutiny if Sunderland weren't in for him too! Lol

Yes, supposedly, but do you seriously think for one minute that with the wages they could pay; he would be faffing about with Dundee united IF there had been an actual offer?  Methinks not.

So...

- A leftback

- 2(?)CBs

- A RB/LB/CB cover

- 2 Wingers

- 2 Strikers

Minimum.

I'd imagine we could easily shift the likes of Kellerman, and one of Erhahon or MacPherson out on loan and still look covered in that area.

Heaton will be off soon i'd imagine.

Edited by W6Saint

On 7/13/2019 at 10:52 AM, foxbar_bud said:

St Johnstone have the boy Tanser at left back who is their first choice, maybe they were only willing to pay him as a back up option. Or due to Liam Gordon getting an injury maybe the money they had aside for a left back needs to go on a centre half now.

Loads of ways we could get him in but they couldn’t

I’m sure with all your inside info you would have known that though emoji90.png

I would hope that this is possible. I hope the big Dutch Striker is possible and I hope we might still get Popesco back. Hope..