Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

3 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Its easy to bring in junk, much harder to bring in quality. might take a few more weeks to players options get exhausted and we can get deals over the line. 

All the criticism of Gus McPherson and the board is just laughable. They will be working their backsides off trying to get deals done.

I think we should trust Jim and Gus to bring in the quality of player we need. I personally think they are both well capable of knowing what needs fixed and the type of signings we need to make.

Surely, as time goes by, many of the players within out budget, never mind this "quality", have been snapped up by other clubs? 

The longer time goes on you will have less choice and probably less quality.

4 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Its easy to bring in junk, much harder to bring in quality. might take a few more weeks to players options get exhausted and we can get deals over the line. 

All the criticism of Gus McPherson and the board is just laughable. They will be working their backsides off trying to get deals done.

I think we should trust Jim and Gus to bring in the quality of player we need. I personally think they are both well capable of knowing what needs fixed and the type of signings we need to make.

We seem to annually write off the first 3/4 league games of the season as if they don't matter because the transfer window is still open. It's why we play catch up every year.  This years argument is "ach well we would take nothing from those fixtures even with a fully assembled squad" so it's OK to just take the beatings and start in effect with a handicap ?

This mentality is killing us !

15 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

I’m not agreeing with you!

How can I when you keep contradicting yourself!

emoji12.png

Right Walter,  I can see your struggling.  What do you want simplified? 

2 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Don't be daft.

we should just sign any old shite to appease the masses.

Then a couple of months down the line, when they realise the players aren't good enough, they'll have another meltdown.

I know it has been asked before but why were Gus and Tony in Spain? Yes modern technology etc would allow them to keep in touch but I'd have thought one or other of them being where they were supposed to be ie at the office as it were would have been preferable, sadly not so we wait for further news.

The Phrase "St. Mirren blown out of the water" is worrying - I think we need to do more fitness and ball work on the grass, and not playing about in a pool, river or loch... :lol

IT is clear that we have a list and not much more than a few contact calls, watched a few players, even took a couple to our training camp with 1/2 a squad etc.

Given that the BOD have released funds when we were in the mire previously: (a) for Stubbs  (b) after Stubbs dross signings   (c) for Oran after the window closed AND (d) in the January window.

Isn't it a better option to release the emergency funds now and sign up some better players right from the off?????? How likely is another great escape from miles behind this time?

2 deals still not dead - can we conclude either or both?  . . . but are we being clever and sending out the message to agents and players that we don't have a big budget that they can expect to eat into in extras or have big salaries with us?

Hope so, really hope this is not going to backfire . . .  Hope the guys we will get in on loan get released sooner rather than at the last minute too . . .  :ninja

15 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

The Phrase "St. Mirren blown out of the water" is worrying - I think we need to do more fitness and ball work on the grass, and not playing about in a pool, river or loch... :lol

IT is clear that we have a list and not much more than a few contact calls, watched a few players, even took a couple to our training camp with 1/2 a squad etc.

Given that the BOD have released funds when we were in the mire previously: (a) for Stubbs  (b) after Stubbs dross signings   (c) for Oran after the window closed AND (d) in the January window.

Isn't it a better option to release the emergency funds now and sign up some better players right from the off?????? How likely is another great escape from miles behind this time?

2 deals still not dead - can we conclude either or both?  . . . but are we being clever and sending out the message to agents and players that we don't have a big budget that they can expect to eat into in extras or have big salaries with us?

Hope so, really hope this is not going to backfire . . .  Hope the guys we will get in on loan get released sooner rather than at the last minute too . . .  :ninja

U really are a boring twat, u have no idea whats going on...nobody cares what u think!

5 hours ago, Johnny Rep said:

Shambles of a club at this moment in time, no news, no rumours pretty pathetic and that's why we are where we belong.

4 hours ago, pod said:

In the Premiership. :unsure: (unsure)

3 minutes ago, Johnny Rep said:

That gets pumped by dunfermiline and struggle to beat Edinburgh fecking city. 

You having a laugh.

Think about it. :rolleyes:  

40 minutes ago, Johnny Rep said:

That gets pumped by dunfermiline and struggle to beat Edinburgh fecking city. 

You having a laugh.

We lost by 1 goal. Did Fakes get pumped when they lost 1-0 to Montrose the other night?  Hibs struggled to beat Stirling Albion.  These games are about getting match fitness as we won't win this competition. 

On 7/17/2019 at 3:54 PM, billyg said:
On 7/17/2019 at 12:28 PM, turrabuddie said:
On 7/17/2019 at 11:31 AM, Doakes said:
We only offered contracts to Djorkaeff and Louis Longridge as far as I’ve heard... couldn’t agree terms with Longridge so I guess the rest have moved on.

We offered Longbridge a contract ? And one he wouldn't agree too ? Something is very wrong somewhere.

Six month contract to prove himself , wanted more security !

Now THAT seems a very likely scenario and if he isn't confident that he could prove himself worth an extension to an initial six month deal; then we probably have done the right thing.     All supposition I know, but far more believable than some of the other guff.

10 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:
10 hours ago, munoz said:
I'd tried explaining this to Wendy but I think he's still struggling to get his wee head around this concept .

A while back you stayed that Gus had absolutely nothing to do with the signings of Hladky, Popescu and Muzek and that they were brought to the club by a third party.

You are telling us here that Gus had nothing to do with the signing of Lyons (which is obvious).

I have never once disputed any of your statements on this issue. All I’ve done is quote what you’ve posted!

You’ve really tied yourself up in knots on this! emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

I'm fairly sure that someone on here posted that Hladky, Popescu and Muzek were all players initially contacted through an agency the club employed to find suitable talent, this was posted sometime after they had played a few games and we realised that they were quite useful. 

2 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

I know it has been asked before but why were Gus and Tony in Spain? Yes modern technology etc would allow them to keep in touch but I'd have thought one or other of them being where they were supposed to be ie at the office as it were would have been preferable, sadly not so we wait for further news.

Over for the golfing , scouting for the big golf day out.

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

I think everyone is frustrated with the 'lack' of immediate signings ......... but I also tend to agree with what JG said in his interview post EC game, we need patience to try and get the type of player we are after ........... which is probably players of a slightly higher quality than those we have signed in the past (hopefully).  We do have a budget and while I for one have no idea what it is, rest assured JG will and x amount of players into xxxx amount of budget defines what we can afford.  We simply need to keep the nappies dry; trust JG and the management team and even Elvis will be happy.  😎

17 minutes ago, jaybee said:

I'm fairly sure that someone on here posted that Hladky, Popescu and Muzek were all players initially contacted through an agency the club employed to find suitable talent, this was posted sometime after they had played a few games and we realised that they were quite useful. 

I was told the same and have mentioned it too many times. Unfortunately Waltersaint is a bit slow on the uptake. 

5 minutes ago, jaybee said:

I think everyone is frustrated with the 'lack' of immediate signings ......... but I also tend to agree with what JG said in his interview post EC game, we need patience to try and get the type of player we are after ........... which is probably players of a slightly higher quality than those we have signed in the past (hopefully).  We do have a budget and while I for one have no idea what it is, rest assured JG will and x amount of players into xxxx amount of budget defines what we can afford.  We simply need to keep the nappies dry; trust JG and the management team and even Elvis will be happy.  😎

Can't disagree with anything you are saying. I have stated elsewhere it is better to sign the right players, than get guys in quickly who prove not good enough. What I also said is that it seems very much like we have not really managed things well behind the scenes. i.e. Wasn't Gus supposed to spot targets that are good and willing to sign for us within our budget? It seems to me and to others that he has targeted guys, but something is missing in ensuring we don't strike out as often as we seem to be. i.e. Even before we take players on a trial camp or invite them over, the agreement should be in place with their signature on it - then we know we can add ours or not rather than going so far in futility.

I will be very surprised if we pick up a number of players who are better quality than some of the ones who left and went back to their parent clubs. This is a watered down marquee signings line - and we all know how that worked out.

My other concern is how the BOD manage the budget. I suspect they hold back a chunk for a rainy day, like the occasions I highlighted previously which did work, but I am suggesting that if we spend a bit more up front on better players, then we might not need so much in the rainy day fund for as many new players/pay-offs.

It is easy to be critical or over critical. We fans want the best and can fear from various things that don't appear to be handled very well... I have no doubt the BOD are trying their best and I am thankful they put in their time and effort - I do want us to progress though. Stability and success - these are two important targets... :magic