Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Can't disagree with anything you are saying. I have stated elsewhere it is better to sign the right players, than get guys in quickly who prove not good enough. What I also said is that it seems very much like we have not really managed things well behind the scenes. i.e. Wasn't Gus supposed to spot targets that are good and willing to sign for us within our budget? It seems to me and to others that he has targeted guys, but something is missing in ensuring we don't strike out as often as we seem to be. i.e. Even before we take players on a trial camp or invite them over, the agreement should be in place with their signature on it - then we know we can add ours or not rather than going so far in futility.
I will be very surprised if we pick up a number of players who are better quality than some of the ones who left and went back to their parent clubs. This is a watered down marquee signings line - and we all know how that worked out.
My other concern is how the BOD manage the budget. I suspect they hold back a chunk for a rainy day, like the occasions I highlighted previously which did work, but I am suggesting that if we spend a bit more up front on better players, then we might not need so much in the rainy day fund for as many new players/pay-offs.
It is easy to be critical or over critical. We fans want the best and can fear from various things that don't appear to be handled very well... I have no doubt the BOD are trying their best and I am thankful they put in their time and effort - I do want us to progress though. Stability and success - these are two important targets... :magic

Even before we take players on a trial camp or invite them over, the agreement should be in place with their signature on it - then we know we can add ours or not rather than going so far in futility.

You clearly have absolutely no idea how employment contracts work. No player is EVER going to enter into that sort of arrangement. The Jim McLean era ended 30 years ago ffs. Trials are as much for a players peace if mind as the clubs. Football has moved on clubs simply cannot hold players to ransom these days like you are suggesting.

3 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

So Gus had "absolutely nothing to do" with the signing of any players in January now?

The hole keeps getting bigger and bigger! :lol:

Ok, one more time for bozo- GUS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SIGNINGS OF THE EASTERN EUROPEAN LADS SIGNED IN JANUARY, AS PREVIOUSLY (many times) STATED. 

The only hole that appears to be enlarging,  is the one in your head. 

14 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

So Gus had "absolutely nothing to do" with the signing of any players in January now?

The hole keeps getting bigger and bigger! :lol:

7 minutes ago, munoz said:

Ok, one more time for bozo- GUS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SIGNINGS OF THE EASTERN EUROPEAN LADS SIGNED IN JANUARY, AS PREVIOUSLY (many times) STATED. 

^^^^^^^^^^ The new "baz/BEK" tribute act. :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

I know it has been asked before but why were Gus and Tony in Spain? Yes modern technology etc would allow them to keep in touch but I'd have thought one or other of them being where they were supposed to be ie at the office as it were would have been preferable, sadly not so we wait for further news.

What..?

and miss out on a freebie..?

6 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

I'm not arguing with him though!

All I've done is quote him and he's raging about it! :lol:

And its baz who disagrees with his posts regarding this! :lol:

Does it really matter ? I'd say there is more pressing issues regarding the signing of players now. At the end of the day, I couldn't care less where the signings come from or who is responsible for them - my only hope is that they'll improve the team.

It is quite funny the posters suggesting somehow that its incredibly hard for a football club to sign half decent footballers!

it is so simple to do ffs... people add its harder to get players up to a reasonable standard... what guff..!

the only thing you need to sign a player is the wage/transfer/signing on funds in place, and a telephone. These guys arent hiding in a cave system in Tora Bora..! They want clubs to approach their agent and make an offer. Look at Dun Utd landing Shankland.. they came in late, but fast and direct, met the players expectations on salary... deal done!

our problem is quite obviously MONEY... and not being able to get agents/players to commit on first contact as they feel there is a better deal out there. So we make endless enquiries and are told "is that it? Ok if we dont get a better deal we'll come back to you"

ffs Even Livi can identify and sign players of a decent standard, other than money, are you trying to suggest they are a bigger pull than us?

5 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

It is quite funny the posters suggesting somehow that its incredibly hard for a football club to sign half decent footballers!

it is so simple to do ffs... people add its harder to get players up to a reasonable standard... what guff..!

the only thing you need to sign a player is the wage/transfer/signing on funds in place, and a telephone. These guys arent hiding in a cave system in Tora Bora..! They want clubs to approach their agent and make an offer. Look at Dun Utd landing Shankland.. they came in late, but fast and direct, met the players expectations on salary... deal done!

our problem is quite obviously MONEY... and not being able to get agents/players to commit on first contact as they feel there is a better deal out there. So we make endless enquiries and are told "is that it? Ok if we dont get a better deal we'll come back to you"

ffs Even Livi can identify and sign players of a decent standard, other than money, are you trying to suggest they are a bigger pull than us?

Excuses to hide we are failing, for whatever reason. 

Sorry LPM but I can’t believe this is true, Sweeper who is clearly ITK, has said we have a massively increased budget this year

Or he did back in June, has been a bit quieter about that recently

2 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

Sorry LPM but I can’t believe this is true, Sweeper who is clearly ITK, has said we have a massively increased budget this year

TBH he's been a bit quieter since the news broke about Kearney..............................maybe disappointed he wasn't kept in the loop? :wink:

1 hour ago, foxbar_bud said:

He was mentioning £600k increases at one point...

2 hours ago, munoz said:

Rather than chucking personal abuse, why don't you simply prove this statement you keep making.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

It's that simple IF the player wants to come to the club. In foreign players cases that's an added IF. We are just not attractive enough to be able to sign who we want within our price range and we certainly don't want to start paying a premium for players over their worth simply to get them to sign for SMFC.

Paisley is close to Glasgow which is reasonably attractive to live in but as a club players aren't yearning to play for SMFC. There has to be willing on both sides it's not as simple as wave the cash and they will come.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Actually I there is clearly a lot of truth in this.

It sounds like we are pursuing players who are out of our price range rather than being realistic.

That's two seasons of this in a row we've had to tolerate now.

We'll get decent players in of course but it might be towards the end of the window when other teams have finished buying. This of course means we risk being the thick end of two months behind our nearest competitors.

Ambition is great. I'm all for it. You need to back it up with a decent plan though.

Edited by oaksoft

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

It's that simple IF the player wants to come to the club. In foreign players cases that's an added IF. We are just not attractive enough to be able to sign who we want within our price range and we certainly don't want to start paying a premium for players over their worth simply to get them to sign for SMFC.

Paisley is close to Glasgow which is reasonably attractive to live in but as a club players aren't yearning to play for SMFC. There has to be willing on both sides it's not as simple as wave the cash and they will come.

The problem is that other teams around us are having no problems recruiting good players so that argument falls a bit flat.

Of course, if Gus and Jim manage to sign some fantastic players in time for the first league match then a bit of humble pie eating will be needed but there's simply no excuse for not having SOME decent players on board beyond what we already have. We might not be Rangers or Celtic but we are not East Stirling either.

35 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The problem is that other teams around us are having no problems recruiting good players so that argument falls a bit flat.

Of course, if Gus and Jim manage to sign some fantastic players in time for the first league match then a bit of humble pie eating will be needed but there's simply no excuse for not having SOME decent players on board beyond what we already have. We might not be Rangers or Celtic but we are not East Stirling either.

Eh, who are the good players Hamilton, Livi and RC have recruited? I think the players we recruited in Jan are far better than anything they have signed this close season. Lets see who we have signed by end of August then we can assess properly

34 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Certainly other teams do seem to get players in early but are they any good  ?  There isn't a player that had signed for Livvy or the Accies that I have heard of before so I wouldn't know if they are any good.