Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

48 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Plans were in place though, made by Oran. I’ve no doubt we wouldn’t be in this situation if we hadn’t changed manager. Can’t exactly cancel the Spain camp just because we’ve changed manager. 

listen to Goody’s most recent interview. Not happy about the lack of pre-season games ahead of the cup. 

Edit: and we can’t exactly have the Spain camp a few weeks later because, eh, we have f**king cup fixtures to play! 

I agree with much of what you are saying and understand there is other stuff that could have been going on too. I think we both have offered valid possibilities as well...

Although we were in Spain the 1st week in July, we played our first match on the 14th - so we could have gone a week later (If we had booked it earlier), but we could also have started pre-season a week or two earlier as well - I know the players and management would not have loved this, especially because the play-offs kept us going so late on this year. I don't know what Dunfermline did, but they surely seem much more together and up-to-speed than us - we must recognise this and improve for the future in this area too.

Goodie has walked into a mess and I still assert that we should have had better things in place, guys to look at and discuss finer details with before jetting them off to Spain. I know theywon't all be willing to be tied down as many want to keep their options open etc. but having some lined up i.e. like we did with Paul McGinn last time is better. It is also rubbish that our new manager did not go to the training camp too.

I hope we play better today, but in only a couple of weeks and we are playing in the league and we have 13 main guys (If we include Tansey - and is he going to get match fit soon?) plus a reserve goalie, Kellerman, MacPherson, and some other younger lads. My worry is Goodie has had 3 weeks and only 2 new signings, plus Lyness - no doubt we have tried with a number of others and in the main it has not proved fruitful so far. P.S. I am not panicking, just highlighting we need things to click into place better than they have been....

All the best to Goodie and the boys - give us the 3 points!!!

Edited by Sweeper07

21 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

One of the main reasons given for the launch of the new group stage format was that clubs would be able to replace friendlies with competitive fixtures during the summer!

I know...and it’s utterly ridiculous.

21 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:
22 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

Are you ITK re Hladky being sold this window, or just got a gut feeling ?
If we are selling him will it be too late for JG to reinvest those funds I the team ?

I am in the KFA camp, its a gut feeling he'll go in the window.

hopefully not. 

46 minutes ago, melmac said:

Relegated before Christmas that is.

To be fair, despite everything, Gretna still picked up 23 points that season, which, pro rata, and adjusted for three points for a win, is more than Morton managed the last time they were up.

It's also better than Dundee managed last season, and only nine short of our total.

Underlines how gash the league was last year. We are unlikely to be so fortunate again.

2 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Plans were in place though, made by Oran. I’ve no doubt we wouldn’t be in this situation if we hadn’t changed manager. Can’t exactly cancel the Spain camp just because we’ve changed manager. 

listen to Goody’s most recent interview. Not happy about the lack of pre-season games ahead of the cup. 

Edit: and we can’t exactly have the Spain camp a few weeks later because, eh, we have f**king cup fixtures to play! 

I'm sure we would be that's the reason Oran is away the budget could not match Oran's list believe that or not nothing to do with commuting.  Oran still wants back into full time management as has been reported.  Think the accounts are going to make interesting reading in late November. You cant go through the staff we have and not take a hit. 

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I'm sure we would be that's the reason Oran is away the budget could not match Oran's list believe that or not nothing to do with commuting.  Oran still wants back into full time management as has been reported.  Think the accounts are going to make interesting reading in late November. You cant go through the staff we have and not take a hit. 

He won’t get back in to full time management. He’s f**ked it now, like Kenny did.

5 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

He won’t get back in to full time management. He’s f**ked it now, like Kenny did.

I agree we both know it will be near impossible for him to get back into full time management.  Was just quoting a N.I. paper who did an interview with him. The rest of my post is guess work on my side which I dont think is too off the mark . 

6 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

One of the main reasons given for the launch of the new group stage format was that clubs would be able to replace friendlies with competitive fixtures during the summer!

And they have. Result has been to offer opportunities for the smaller teams to provide shocks. Good for the game overall. Imo

We are short of bodies and it’s difficult for the players as the majority of them have played three games in a week.

At this time of the season that’s not ideal preparation. They’re not anywhere near as fit as what they should be at the moment and you would like to have more options there to freshen things up like some of the bigger clubs can.

But I knew taking on the job that we had a job on our hands to get people in. But we’re doing all we can to make that happen before the league starts.

There’s not enough in the squad at the moment. It would be unfair throw kids in at this stage as they’re not quite ready. We need good first-team pros who can come in and make a difference.

We’re confident of getting one or two over the line soon but it takes time. I wouldn’t have thought we’d have any in before Tuesday. There’s none close enough to say they’ll be over this weekend to sign papers. Easter Road is the priority.

We are short of bodies and it’s difficult for the players as the majority of them have played three games in a week.

At this time of the season that’s not ideal preparation. They’re not anywhere near as fit as what they should be at the moment and you would like to have more options there to freshen things up like some of the bigger clubs can.

But I knew taking on the job that we had a job on our hands to get people in. But we’re doing all we can to make that happen before the league starts.

There’s not enough in the squad at the moment. It would be unfair throw kids in at this stage as they’re not quite ready. We need good first-team pros who can come in and make a difference.

We’re confident of getting one or two over the line soon but it takes time. I wouldn’t have thought we’d have any in before Tuesday. There’s none close enough to say they’ll be over this weekend to sign papers. Easter Road is the priority.

5 minutes ago, Ethan said:

One or two is nowhere near enough we need 6 or 7 before the Hibs game. 

By the sound of things,  it looks like 5 will be the most. In his interview,  he said 4 or 5 again.  Worrying. 

2 hours ago, munoz said:

By the sound of things,  it looks like 5 will be the most. In his interview,  he said 4 or 5 again.  Worrying. 

I'm not sure how many we need but it's clear to JG and to Fans that some solid, experienced pros need to be signed. But.. We are not the only top league team to experience trouble with lower league opponents so I won't get on anyone's case. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

I'm not sure how many we need but it's clear to JG and to Fans that some solid, experienced pros need to be signed. But.. We are not the only top league team to experience trouble with lower league opponents so I won't get on anyone's case. 

But we are the only ones with half a squad and a bad one at that

3 hours ago, munoz said:

This time last season will still be fresh in the boards mind from the cluster f**k of bad signings we made. We are trimming the squad this year though looking to spend on better quality. 5 would still take us close to the numbers we tried to bring the squad down to in January. Still think if we move one or two on, that will free up space for a couple more.

I don't believe we are skint, just trying to be shrewd, however frustrating the length of time it is taking to get more bodies in.

Edited by kevo_smfc

15 hours ago, kevo_smfc said:

This time last season will still be fresh in the boards mind from the cluster f**k of bad signings we made. We are trimming the squad this year though looking to spend on better quality. 5 would still take us close to the numbers we tried to bring the squad down to in January. Still think if we move one or two on, that will free up space for a couple more.

I don't believe we are skint, just trying to be shrewd, however frustrating the length of time it is taking to get more bodies in.

5 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

I'm hoping for four or five signed, plus 1-3 loans on top. But the loans are likely to be towards the end of the window.

2 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I'm thinking 8 signings required in total . Five to strengthen the first team , and three to give cover .

IT is plain to see to most fans and surely also to our management team and BOD.

We currently have 16 1st team players including a back up keeper (Lyness), Tansey, Kellerman, MacPherson and Erhahon.

The Fakes had 26 1st team players last season. So 5 new signings would take us to 21 plus some youths apart from those above...

I am all for making 5 top signings, but what happens if we pick up long term injuries and have little cover?

We clearly and desperately need - LB, CB x2, CF x2, DM, Creative M, and at least 1 more winger type like McAllister.... I make that 9 not 5

So one option must be to let younger lads go out on loan, possibly including Kellerman, MacPherson, Erhahon, Breadner, Glover, McAllister etc. IF they are not going to play often for us, it is best they are picking up 1st team experience in lower leagues... it could also save us some dosh for the first team budget.

Anywhere near only 5 new signings or loanees has disaster written all over it....and panic buying in the January window...