Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah. Note that on BBC Scotland site, JG is also quoted as saying there are 'some very good offers on the table for some very good players'.

There's plenty going on in the background. Folk can say we're 8 players away still (and I do agree) but we still have a month of this window to go.

If we get another 3 or 4 over the line this week, it sets us in good stead for the rest of the window.

Yeah but it doesn’t set us up well for our first few league matches which is a joke. It’s not about building a team once the season starts. It should’ve been built by now

Just because we’ll sign some players now doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be asking questions as to why we’re not prepared in time for the league starting.

Edited by Big Yards

Yeah but it doesn’t set us up well for our first few league matches which is a joke. It’s not about building a team once the season starts. It should’ve been built by now
Just because we’ll sign some players now doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be asking questions as to why we’re not prepared in time for the league starting.
But they've been working hard!
What harm can possibly come from being under prepared for the start of the new season?

59 minutes ago, Big Yards said:
5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah. Note that on BBC Scotland site, JG is also quoted as saying there are 'some very good offers on the table for some very good players'.

There's plenty going on in the background. Folk can say we're 8 players away still (and I do agree) but we still have a month of this window to go.

If we get another 3 or 4 over the line this week, it sets us in good stead for the rest of the window.

I get the impression you are the sort of bloke who would complain if the rope broke that was being used to hang him, how dare they use a sub standard rope to hang me with.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

3 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Stop your moaning big chap it's only a game of fitba,  why don't you try being a bit more positive, you'll feel a lot better for it trust me, look at Ricky, and just think how good yer double cheeseburger will taste a week on Monday when we pick up a point at Easter Road then beat Aberdeen and are sitting in the top 4 just like Tony said we would,  in the meantime al stick with this stuff   :guinness

5 hours ago, Big Yards said:

If it makes you feel any better, we only picked up 6 points from August-December last year (3pts Aug, 1 point Sept Vs Celtic, 1 point Nov and 1 in Dec). This was purely down to not having a squad good enough. 

5 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Because the window closes 4 games in and I dare say that rather than panicking and signing any old shite to make us 'prepared' when initial targets like Verheydt didn't materialise, we're going for alternatives of a similar standard. 

Completely theoretical here but what if someone very good and interested became available for loan in last two weeks of window but we weren't even in position to approach as we'd already beefed the squad out? 

What if we missed out on the lad Durmus (who has played quite regularly at a good level) because we'd already signed Longridge for that position 3 weeks ago just so we were prepared? 

I do understand the concerns but I think that it's always going to be a waiting game for us. It's been a far from ideal pre season but you can only work within the constraints and we were constrained with managerial change and initial targets like Erwin and Verheydt going elsewhere. 

Still plenty of quality out there. 

1 hour ago, kevo_smfc said:

If it makes you feel any better, we only picked up 6 points from August-December last year (3pts Aug, 1 point Sept Vs Celtic, 1 point Nov and 1 in Dec). This was purely down to not having a squad good enough. 

We were pish but not that pish, we took four points in both Nov and Dec, were on 12 points at the mid season break, and not even bottom of the league.

7 hours ago, Big Yards said:

You start the ball rolling and let us know how you get on. :thumbsup 

I for one was very encouraged by the statement from Goodwin yesterday. He wants players who will take us forward not just relegation fodder. A short term pain may benefit long term gain. Being prudent just now will reap benefits. The English deadline closes soon. This will open up a raft of loan and other deals not available just now. Patience is the key. 

8 hours ago, Big Yards said:

You obviously have not been paying attention. We are not prepared because:

1. Unlike other teams we had no idea what League we would be in until literally the last kick of the ball on 26th May. 9 weeks ago.

2. Our manager left the Club on 26th June after weeks of wrangling and no signings as he was unsure if he was staying and the Club didn't want to sign players a new manager did not want. Only 5 weeks ago.

3. New manager appointed only on 28th June. Just over 4 weeks ago.

If we had stability and was not in danger of relegation then we could have started planning months ago like most other clubs in the SPFL but we weren't.

Hope this helps explain the current situation. Any further questions please direct them to Gordon Scott, SMFC.

13 minutes ago, Sonny said:

1. Unlike other teams we had no idea what League we would be in until literally the last kick of the ball on 26th May. 9 weeks ago.

2. Our manager left the Club on 26th June after weeks of wrangling and no signings as he was unsure if he was staying and the Club didn't want to sign players a new manager did not want. Only 5 weeks ago.

If we had stability and was not in danger of relegation then we could have started planning months ago like most other clubs in the SPFL but we weren't.

Hope this helps explain the current situation. Any further questions please direct them to Gordon Scott, SMFC.

Or wanted to stay. 

14 minutes ago, Sonny said:

2 minutes ago, pod said:

Or wanted to stay. 

This board have crucified the club on and off the park, destroyed relationships with the support, made families and children not welcome, but choose bigotry... and somehow its akways someone else's fault???

ffs have a wee go at reality! Name me one other team in this league, or even tbe league below in such a poor state they cant field a first choice professional football team able to at least compete?

12 minutes ago, Sonny said:

We "lost" 1 week due to our play off situation, hardly critical by ANY stretch of the imagination. :lol:

Was nothing happening in the weeks after securing safety and Kearney leaving as other clubs were active in this time? 

What if we'd not managed to get another manager so quickly, would we not have signed any players until the new manager was in place? :blink:

Goodwin appointed 4 weeks ago, 2 days according to your dates, after Kearney left, suppose 4 weeks isn't a lot of time to sign the amount of players we need.

I genuinely feel sorry for Goodwin, off to a bad start mostly through no fault of his own, although there is a point we still should have qualified from the group of death.

The good thing is there's not much expectation for the first few games, as we all know football always produces surprises, we could benefit from the low expectation. 

16 minutes ago, Sonny said:

We hired a DoF to avoid this situation - or at least that was what we were told last year...

1. The DoF should've had two lists ready to work on depending on the outcome of the playoff.
  2. All incoming managers inherit a rump of players, if the club is not willing to sign new players on the DoFs sole advice then the position is redundant.

There is still no guarantee on the suitability of any incoming players (no manager gets it correct 100% of the time), we have left ourselves in weak position when it comes to negotiating with our current targets with the season just 3 days away and if you accept there will almost certainly be a gelling period of say 4 weeks then we've written off the first month and are likely to be playing catch-up again.

If any of our targets are playing in England then their FA's decision to close the window early (weekend of the 1st EPL games ie a week on Saturday / Sunday) will help clubs like us. Players will enter the desperation stakes earlier than usual thus speeding up any potential deals at our level as opposed to the old days of waiting until the end of August. We should consider doing likewise imo.

22 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

If any of our targets are playing in England then their FA's decision to close the window early (weekend of the 1st EPL games ie a week on Saturday / Sunday) will help clubs like us. Players will enter the desperation stakes earlier than usual thus speeding up any potential deals at our level as opposed to the old days of waiting until the end of August. We should consider doing likewise imo.

Hmmm that sounds a bit like "PANIC!!!' Signings.. lol

26 minutes ago, Ethan said:

I for one was very encouraged by the statement from Goodwin yesterday. He wants players who will take us forward not just relegation fodder. A short term pain may benefit long term gain. Being prudent just now will reap benefits. The English deadline closes soon. This will open up a raft of loan and other deals not available just now. Patience is the key. 

We have had some cracking transfer windows recently as well as the Stubbs fiasco - mostly January tbf when the stakes are high. The Jack Ross January window and last season with Gus and OK both excellent. The last good summer one  for me - probably  the one with Stevie Thompson and Gary Teale. I still have high hopes that Gus, Tony and Jim will bring in some top players before the transfer window closes - not in time for the start of the season though.

1 hour ago, Ethan said:

There is no "forward" for Smurn, we're a yo-yo team. Let's hope it was just a vague "aim high" statement and that Goody hasn't been smoking the Top4Weed:red with Tony!

I suppose the silver lining is that we are starting with three games that we would normally not be expected to take much from anyway - Privately JG probably wouldn't have budgeted more than a point from them even with a full squad in place (my opinion only of course)

If we can have the squad in place for the first of the realistically winnable games (Livi) a month today then we can still minimise any damage from the managerial change debacle.

So thats a month to get another four or five players in.

1 minute ago, southsidebud said:

I suppose the silver lining is that we are starting with three games that we would normally not be expected to take much from anyway - Privately JG probably wouldn't have budgeted more than a point from them even with a full squad in place (my opinion only of course)

If we can have the squad in place for the first of the realistically winnable games (Livi) a month today then we can still minimise any damage from the managerial change debacle.

So thats a month to get another four or five players in.

While I agree with the logic of the opening fixtures, as a team if we were full strength we should still be aiming to take points from all our games.  Otherwise what's the point of playing football at all.

As a fan I know games v the top 3 points will be hard to come by, I just want to see the commitment on the field even if we get humped in the opening 3 games and have a -10 GD going into the Livi game.  If the players put in a shift that's what matters