Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Heard from good source an experienced striker is coming. Not Stevie May. If my source is right (and he is very well connected) the deal was done at least a week ago. Has played in Scotland  (not Premiership) and Engerland. I'd never heard of him but source said he's decent and experienced but still under 30.  Doubt he'd be first choice and not sure why it wouldn't have been announced so we will see. Has apparently turned down at least one other offer in favour of ours. 

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 3:26 PM, insaintee said:

Yes there is. Similar and smaller clubs St Johnstone, Hamilton, have much more stable set ups that we need to emulate. If we can stop being in the situation of having to rebuild every year then that is moving forward. A bit of stability a bit of squad building, establish as a mid to 10th team with little spurts up the league. That's progress and not unrealistic 

More stable would help but it wouldn't stop us from being a yo-yo club. 

PS - I'd class the Fakes & Accies as yo-yo clubs too.

7 hours ago, shull said:

Football Prices 

1988 - 2.50

If they increased at the same rate as Cab Fares, then admission to Saints matches would be just under a tenner. 

Nearly 30 quid for some games now. 

Cab fares have risen well above average inflation then. At UK inflation rates 2.50 in 1988 is equivalent to just over £6.80 today. Football is a law to itself when it comes to finance.

11 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

From the KFA's you mean!

he always was fat & lazy, hence we made no serious move to get him back aftet the league cup season. Hearts found him out and chucked him.

Load of rubbish. His club Rio Ave wanted 750k. That’s why we didn’t try to get him back.

The guy was an absolute stand out with us. Ran riot in a lot of games. One of the best footballers I’ve seen at the club. He went on to star for the Cypriot team in the Europa league the season after.

The reason he left hearts was Leveins tactics of 1 man up didn’t suit him. Still scored quite a few goals for them, 13 in fact! That’s how found out he was 😄How we could do with that this season. Most hearts fans loved the guy.

id go as far as to say we wouldn’t have won the cup without Isma. Scored in the semi, scored in the final and set up newton as well. If you didn’t like him as a player then you’ll definitely not like any of this seasons lot!!!

Edited by Big Yards

21 minutes ago, Big Yards said:

Load of rubbish. His club Rio Ave wanted 750k. That’s why we didn’t try to get him back.

The guy was an absolute stand out with us. Ran riot in a lot of games. One of the best footballers I’ve seen at the club. He went on to star for the Cypriot team in the Europa league the season after.

The reason he left hearts was Leveins tactics of 1 man up didn’t suit him. Still scored quite a few goals for them, 13 in fact! That’s how found out he was 😄How we could do with that this season. Most hearts fans loved the guy.

id go as far as to say we wouldn’t have won the cup without Isma. Scored in the semi, scored in the final and set up newton as well. If you didn’t like him as a player then you’ll definitely not like any of this seasons lot!!!

Goncalves has been a consistent 1 in 3 striker over his entire career. Guys like that at clubs our level don't come around very often. 

He'd be an absoulte stand out for us, if there is even a slight, slight sniff of getting him back then targeting him should be a priority. 

Edited by djchapsticks

6 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Wouldn't say they were shite , just feel they would want a wage that probably doesn't reflect their ability .

Wouldn’t mind taking a chance on Safranko presuming the wage demand wasn’t ridiculous (as you’ve stated above it could be a concern), he scored a couple of absolute belters last season. However, May hasn’t been good for about 5/6 years now.

7 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Wouldn’t mind taking a chance on Safranko presuming the wage demand wasn’t ridiculous (as you’ve stated above it could be a concern), he scored a couple of absolute belters last season. However, May hasn’t been good for about 5/6 years now.

No chance to be taken, no coming.

Hope there's no more signings today, my heads spinning, can hardly keep track. 

10 hours ago, Big Yards said:

I think theres a big touch of the rose tinted's there!

without doubt scoring on his debut against Celtic in the semi final, and a tap in courtesy of Teale in the final cement edin his pkace in fans folk lore. After the cup games he really couldnt be arsed, and his half season with us fizzled out. As regards "Starring" for a cypriot side? My Granny could have done that whilst knitting!

he 'll be remembered for two crucial goals, but not his abject laziness on cold nights in Dingwall etc...

Edited by Lord Pityme

8 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

As regards "Starring" for a cypriot side? My Granny could have done that whilst knitting!

At the point he went out there, Cypriot teams were qualifying semi-regularly for CL and Europa league groups.

His entire career, he's averaged a goal every three games. Even the three league goals in 11 games you're quite down on translates to 10 or 11 a season, which would be a very good return.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

At the point he went out there, Cypriot teams were qualifying semi-regularly for CL and Europa league groups.

His entire career, he's averaged a goal every three games. Even the three league goals in 11 games you're quite down on translates to 10 or 11 a season, which would be a very good return.

To put it into context, six months into an 18 month contract his club (from the mighty Persian gulf league) have binned him. Feck me Quasimodo could hear those alarm bells miles off!

I'm not sure many, if any Western origin players see their contracts out in places like Iran, Egypt etc. 

Look at Lee Erwin, he was gone within 3 months. Sol Coulibally in Egypt as well.

I certainly don't read into it too much, the cultural differences are massive and most Western players see the money, go out there and then don't fancy it on reflection. Obviously Qatar is the exception there.

Edited by djchapsticks

34 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Yeah... thats why he only managed three in the league for us. Running to the ball, or into positions wasnt his strong suit.

He scored 8 goals - all against Premier League opposition - in 16 games for us, including 2 in 2 games against Celtic and that goal in the League Cup Final.

Getting into goalscoring positions was indeed his strong suit. An extremely strong suit in fact.