Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

We might yet squeeze another striker in but I think it would need someone to go out the way if we were to do that.

Looking at the squad the only wages I think we could free up sensibly would be by moving on Jim Kellermann or loaning Ethan out.

A loan spell for Ethan, playing in his proper position, would probably not do him any harm at all.

2 minutes ago, div said:

We might yet squeeze another striker in but I think it would need someone to go out the way if we were to do that.

Looking at the squad the only wages I think we could free up sensibly would be by moving on Jim Kellermann or loaning Ethan out.

A loan spell for Ethan, playing in his proper position, would probably not do him any harm at all.

Maybe give the boy a chance to build up his confidence away from the usual boo boys. 

11 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

LB, RW and CF and CB   minimum before our window closes...

Even that still leaves us with Erhahon and MacPherson as our back up FB's ...

Absolutely no chance of us adding another four players.

McAllister and our new Left Back will take the squad to 21.

At an absolute push I could see one more, but we won't sign another Centre Half IMO.

We've got Baird, MacKenzie, McLoughlin and Nick McAllister who can play there.

2 hours ago, div said:

Expect 2 players in before Sunday. That will take us to a squad of 21.

I don't see there being much room for anyone else unless we're very creative with a loan or we can move someone else out the way.

We definitely won't have the funds for a Stevie May or a Kyle Lafferty type signing, no chance at all.

Will have to rely on some of the kids at times this season but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The squad will be looking pretty good once these two are in IMO.

14 minutes ago, div said:

This is what I'm hearing ^^^^ Plus one more loan winger (if it pans out)

Just now, MenstrieSaint said:

At risk of upsetting a few , I think him and Erahon should go out on loan , and given game time in their preferred position .

Erahon certainly should, we have enough central midfielders it is safe to say he won't get a game there.

7 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Erahon certainly should, we have enough central midfielders it is safe to say he won't get a game there.

Couldn't say as I have never seen Ethan play centre mid. How good is he at centre mid? He has top flight experience and handles the pressure well even though left back is not his position. 

32 minutes ago, magnus said:

Couldn't say as I have never seen Ethan play centre mid. How good is he at centre mid? He has top flight experience and handles the pressure well even though left back is not his position. 

He is a bit of a bombscare as a full back to be honest. He has played centre mid for the U21s, and played there for Scotland. He seems very intelligent on the ball, not particularly great at winning it back from the full back position. 6 months or a season playing centre mid somewhere like Alloa would do him a power of good Im sure.

19 hours ago, div said:

At an absolute push I could see one more, but we won't sign another Centre Half IMO.

Only time will tell.. but if we go with such a small squad and so many youngsters - its either bold and brave or highly risky... and a strategy than no other Premiership team goes with... all will have more in their squads...

Given that Cooke is out for most of the season, Kellerman is out yet again and does not have a great record of keeping fit, and Gary Mac with his history, it is not so far fetched that we will need to bring in someone as an emergency loan if injuries and suspensions kick in...

Possible scenario, Gary MacK is injured, McLoughlin gets a straight 2 match ban - so do we play Baird and McAlister at CB or Paul McGinn and put in MacPherson at RB? It might be okay for a couple of matches -though depends on who we are playing against - if it means losing to a team we should be beating etc...

If the scenario is worse than that it would be even more serious . . .

Edited by Sweeper07

41 minutes ago, magnus said:

He is young so always getting a dig. He did a good job in the most part at left back considering it's not his natural position.  He was picked over pop-muzik on a few occasions.  Would like to see him in his natural position also. Baird another good player who the boooo boys like to have a dig at. Glad I dont sit in the west bank you dont hear so much abuse at players there. 

18 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Only time will tell.. but if we go with such a small squad and so many youngsters - its either bold and brave or highly risky... and a strategy than no other Premiership team goes with... all will have more in their squads...

Given that Cooke is out for most of the season, Kellerman is out yet again and does not have a great record of keeping fit, and Gary Mac with his history, it is not so far fetched that we will need to bring in someone as an emergency loan if injuries and suspensions kick in...

Possible scenario, Gary MacK is injured, McLoughlin gets a straight 2 match ban - so do we play Baird and McAlister at CB or Paul McGinn and put in MacPherson at LB? It might be okay for a couple of matches -though depends on who we are playing against - if it means losing to a team we should be beating etc...

If the scenario is worse than that it would be even more serious . . .

Numerically it looks like we have plenty players that can play centre half but like you I would feel a lot better about this season with another really solid experienced centre half. Same with a proven centre forward. We have a great goalie, several very good midfielders. Good right back, Waters would mean we have a good left back. We look to have two great wingers (if Kyle signs) Just a couple of key men short - albeit two of the most difficult positions to fill.

If we get a good LB and another winger (KM?) and can get a proven striker somehow, I think we are good to go.

We need to able to offer a chance to a couple of our younger academy players otherwise we might as well shut the thing down.

I think we will be in a very good position going forwards.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If we get a good LB and another winger (KM?) and can get a proven striker somehow, I think we are good to go.

We need to able to offer a chance to a couple of our younger academy players otherwise we might as well shut the thing down.

I think we will be in a very good position going forwards.

This is looking like our major problem right now. 

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

He is young so always getting a dig. He did a good job in the most part at left back considering it's not his natural position.  He was picked over pop-muzik on a few occasions.  Would like to see him in his natural position also. Baird another good player who the boooo boys like to have a dig at. Glad I dont sit in the west bank you dont hear so much abuse at players there. 

Interesting. Could you name the games where Ethan was picked before before Popescu or Muzek (considering Mihai started every single game after joining the team and there was only 1 League game when Muzek did not start after getting his debut)?

3 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

We don't have good enough forwards in the youths

Other areas we can get away with

We will need another forward to come in

I don't think we have brought through a forward since Basher and McGarry

Think it might have been young Thierry John Baird, although he never had as much impact as basher or Mcgarry

Edited by mattman

3 minutes ago, mattman said:

Think it might have been young Thierry John Baird, although he never had as much impact as basher or Mcgarry

I don't think John Baird came through our academy system. IIRC he was a free transfer from Clyde.

7 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Interesting. Could you name the games where Ethan was picked before before Popescu or Muzek (considering Mihai started every single game after joining the team and there was only 1 League game when Muzek did not start after getting his debut)?

Not popescu never wrote that. Was Muzik not on the bench a few times ? 

David McKenna was a reasonable lower league striker after leaving us. Think the problem for him and Baird was promotion came at the wrong time for them - had we stayed in the first division a bit longer they'd maybe have got more game time.

I think Basher, McGarry, McKenna and Reilly are the only strikers to come through our youth set-up to have scored for the first team since the turn of the century, which is pretty poor considering we've produced decent players in every other position. And of that four Basher was in his mid twenties when he came back and Reilly has ended up in midfield.

Surly we need more options more up front? With greg tansey going, did that not free a wage for someone who isn't a midfielder? [emoji12]