Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Ridiculous to think we’re going into this season with just Baird, McLoughlin and MacKenzie as our centre half’s. Nobody had heard of Mcallister until a couple of weeks ago. Gary Mac is injury prone and McLoughlin is only here for 6 months. Another centre half is needed more than a striker now that Cooke isn’t as bad as first feared.

34 minutes ago, Dan Is The Man said:

Ridiculous to think we’re going into this season with just Baird, McLoughlin and MacKenzie as our centre half’s. Nobody had heard of Mcallister until a couple of weeks ago. Gary Mac is injury prone and McLoughlin is only here for 6 months. Another centre half is needed more than a striker now that Cooke isn’t as bad as first feared.

None of us have ever heard of McLoughlin until a couple of weeks ago. 

56 minutes ago, Dan Is The Man said:

McLoughlin is here for an initial six month spell. I'd guess if he's a success then it shouldn't be too difficult to have that extended to the end of the season.

If it doesn't work out, or he returns to Hull in January, we have another window in which to replace him.

Need to remember the budget we are working with here. A team like us can't afford to carry five central defenders in the first team squad. We have four options for two positions, and at a push five as Paul McGinn could also play there. I daresay the development team must also have some central defenders?

We're only going to have one left back and yet we're worrying about only having four central defenders?

I think people have to realise that in implementing the Manager's plan and signing a better quality of player that it must have an effect on the playing budget.  Expecting to sign another 4 or 5 players is a nice thought but I have to agree with Div and another two, possibly three is the most we can expect.  We have to put some faith in our younger players otherwise they'll never progress.  We've never been afraid of it in the past, why are so many talking it down now.

There is a picture of Fergies Furies on another thread.  There's 14 of them - does anybody think we had another 10 in the first team squad in those days?

Edited by rabuddies
Fergies Furies

It's also pretty clear that Jim (and the board) are embarking on a building strategy here.

Foley, Durmus, Obika and McAllister all on 2 year deals is a signal of intent.

It will take us a while, but the hope has to be that over the next 2-3 transfer windows we can get away from the endless cycle of mass change that we've been in ever since the famous transfer window of Jan 2016.

Bringing in good players though comes at a price.

I'd expect those four to all to be on good wages given where they have come from. 

Even the lower reaches of the English leagues pay significantly more than we do.

So, spend what limited budget we do have on a smaller more manageable squad, but with decent quality.

Use the quality players to help bring on the academy kids, and hopefully those same quality players will also help establish ourselves in the top flight where year on year we can get incrementally stronger.

We're obviously not talking international class players here, but it's a step change from the V9 and non-league model that nearly killed us last Summer.

1 minute ago, div said:

It's also pretty clear that Jim (and the board) are embarking on a building strategy here.

Foley, Durmus, Obika and McAllister all on 2 year deals is a signal of intent.

It will take us a while, but the hope has to be that over the next 2-3 transfer windows we can get away from the endless cycle of mass change that we've been in ever since the famous transfer window of Jan 2016.

Bringing in good players though comes at a price.

I'd expect those four to all to be on good wages given where they have come from. 

Even the lower reaches of the English leagues pay significantly more than we do.

So, spend what limited budget we do have on a smaller more manageable squad, but with decent quality.

Use the quality players to help bring on the academy kids, and hopefully those same quality players will also help establish ourselves in the top flight where year on year we can get incrementally stronger.

We're obviously not talking international class players here, but it's a step change from the V9 and non-league model that nearly killed us last Summer.

Has Kyle signed yet Div ,and not announced yet?

54 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

Played 1, scored 2 actually. 

On his debut. Last game of the season when we got relegated. 

3-1 v The pars. 

Other goalscorer in the game was Stickroth. 

He actually played a few games before that too. Think it was 3 starts and 2 sub appearances, with all but one coming at the tail end of the season when we were already down.

28 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

I think people have to realise that in implementing the Manager's plan and signing a better quality of player that it must have an effect on the playing budget.  Expecting to sign another 4 or 5 players is a nice thought but I have to agree with Div and another two, possibly three is the most we can expect.  We have to put some faith in our younger players otherwise they'll never progress.  We've never been afraid of it in the past, why are so many talking it down now.

There is a picture of Fergies Furies on another thread.  There's 14 of them - does anybody think we had another 10 in the first team squad in those days?

Agree with this in terms of centre half to be fair. The centre forward shortage will continue to leave me with the fear, though and we don't have someone you could really call on from youths for that position. Breadner looks the part but is definitely more winger than centre forward from what I've seen.

Even if we can magic up a 6 month loan deal for a young lad in his early 20s in a similar vein to the McLoughlin deal, I'd be a lot more confident. An inexpensive option like a Zak Rudden or a Dario Zanatta who both had very decent seasons in the championship last year would be just the ticket to give that breathing space and flexibility.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, linwood buddie said:

Has Kyle signed yet Div ,and not announced yet?

McG is saying in pieandbovril........................................ "Double announcement tomorrow I’m told, we should hear of 1 early morning.

It  seems like those might be last two to come in as permanent signings .....................glenburn bud thinks

The Killie left back and ?????????????????? hopefully an ex Derby county man  ........ finger legs and everything else crossed.

Not according to the Newport County manager who was raging that we nabbed Foley. He said “ The offer to him from the Scottish club blew us out the water”

12 hours ago, oaksoft said:

If we get a good LB and another winger (KM?) and can get a proven striker somehow, I think we are good to go.

We need to able to offer a chance to a couple of our younger academy players otherwise we might as well shut the thing down.

I think we will be in a very good position going forwards.

Aye getting in the bakery theme.

10 hours ago, Dan Is The Man said:

The back four at present for a premier league club is fecking horrific...

14 minutes ago, gstretchuk said:

The back four at present for a premier league club is fecking horrific...

horrendous as our back four was last season, we did not finish as the team with most goals conceded. Part of that was due to the good work in the Jan window, (which has been almost all undone.) We will be stronger at the back this year simply on the basis of not playing Jones, Ikepwa, Clouston etc. Baird, McKenzie,  McColgan and McGinn are all decent defenders. Would I prefer to have an other experienced CH.  But I think we look decent at the back 

Cammy McPherson has played a couple of games at right back and looked very good considering he is a midfielder. And Paul McG can play LB if needed so we have some full back cover. And young Nick McAllister player RB against Albion Rovers and although he is a CB he didn't let anyone down although against poor opposition.

horrendous as our back four was last season, we did not finish as the team with most goals conceded. Part of that was due to the good work in the Jan window, (which has been almost all undone.) We will be stronger at the back this year simply on the basis of not playing Jones, Ikepwa, Clouston etc. Baird, McKenzie,  McColgan and McGinn are all decent defenders. Would I prefer to have an other experienced CH.  But I think we look decent at the back 

I have no idea who Clouston or McColgan are but pretty sure they didnt/dont play for St Mirren.

You said "our defence got better in January but that is almost undone then you claim our new defensive line up is decent".

Our defence was better in January and is far weaker now due to a certain Mr Popescu not being signed again and DECENT really won't do at this level.

Decent loses goals and as good a game as Mcloughlin played on Saturday relying on a 21 year old to be your main defender really is asking for trouble.

3 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

It's from CSS so inch of salt and all that...

Pleasing. I really can't believe we have managed to get Kyle back. Speaks volumes that he was very keen to come back on a permanent switch. He will be a huge asset to our squad if he can avoid injury. 

I think if anyone comes in beyond these two signings, we now have up to the transfer window closing date if we really did need 1, 2 at a push more to come in. It would most likely be loanees imo to bulk the squad up.

Happy with our dealings so far and I believe we will have our sights firmly set on the next window as this one passes, giving us more of breathing space to scout the right type of player available.

Looking very good for Sunday now :)

16 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

pop-muzik

14 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Not popescu never wrote that. Was Muzik not on the bench a few times ? 

You stated pop-muzik. And no Muzek started all but 1 League game after he joined.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

I have no idea who Clouston or McColgan are but pretty sure they didnt/dont play for St Mirren.

You said "our defence got better in January but that is almost undone then you claim our new defensive line up is decent".

Our defence was better in January and is far weaker now due to a certain Mr Popescu not being signed again and DECENT really won't do at this level.

Decent loses goals and as good a game as Mcloughlin played on Saturday relying on a 21 year old to be your main defender really is asking for trouble.

To me McKenzie has always been our best defender and the rest of the defence looks a lot better when he plays

Just a pity we don't get     enough games out of him

Edited by windae cleaner