Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

2 hours ago, W6Saint said:

Shocked and slightly disappointed we never went for Dario Zanatta - looked a good one and Goody rated him. Still got faith in the forwards he's brought in that look useful.

Never on as Hearts (aka Levein) don't give players to clubs in the top division except for a fee.  We wanted to keep Smith when we got promoted but they weren't interested yet they let him go to Ayr. They seem happy to free him and sign for Thistle as they don't think they're going to get promoted so won't come back to haunt them.  Bet there's a hefty sell on fee in the deal?

So, with the window closing in less than a week, any signings you’d like to see ?

Having been extremely frustrated at the lack of signings in July I now find myself struggling to think of players I’d see join is before the window shuts. Popescu is the only name I can think of.

Of course, I may feel very different after Saturday ...

1 hour ago, turrabuddie said:

So, with the window closing in less than a week, any signings you’d like to see ?

Having been extremely frustrated at the lack of signings in July I now find myself struggling to think of players I’d see join is before the window shuts. Popescu is the only name I can think of.

Goalkeeper is, for now, well covered. Midfield looks well covered. We now have pace down both wings. I wouldn't say no to Popescu or to someone like Naismith to add to defence. Up front, Cody is out for a while to come so another striker, with pace. So at most two. Who this might be, I'm not sure. 

1 hour ago, turrabuddie said:

I'm the same; I think even Popescu would be a luxury at this stage. 

The running concern is that we don't have a 15-goal striker, and that instead we have three five-goal strikers, but that's not me saying I think we should get a striker in. No way are we going to have five strikers (incl Cooke when fit) fighting over one position. (Edit: just saw @St.Ricky's post - opinions are like arseholes, I guess :thumbs2 )

But honestly, given the strength in depth we now have, especially compared to last year, I'm not sure where it would be worth strengthening. Maybe if a loan player of supreme quality became available, we should consider it.

Edited by Magic Monkey

1 minute ago, gstretchuk said:

What ones look useful?

Clearly you don't rate any of the strikers brought in. I'm happy to give them a chance. What we certainly are up front and centre now is physically strong. The two new lads will not be bullied. That we didn't have. 

5 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Clearly you don't rate any of the strikers brought in. I'm happy to give them a chance. What we certainly are up front and centre now is physically strong. The two new lads will not be bullied. That we didn't have. 

See them both as non-scoring strikers..Obika looks very poor so far to me...

Just now, gstretchuk said:

All about opinions. Certainly look to them to score a few this season. Too soon for me to dismiss. Both had chances to score in their debut games. Obika at Hibs and Junior on Sunday. 

The running concern is that we don't have a 15-goal striker, and that instead we have three five-goal strikers, but that's not me saying I think we should get a striker in. No way are we going to have five strikers (incl Cooke when fit) fighting over one position. (Edit: just saw [mention=15134]St.Ricky[/mention]'s post - opinions are like arseholes, I guess :thumbs2 )
But honestly, given the strength in depth we now have, especially compared to last year, I'm not sure where it would be worth strengthening. Maybe if a loan player of supreme quality became available, we should consider it.

I think Obika and Junior will both score more than 5 goals this season. Hopefully starting this weekend.

1 hour ago, gstretchuk said:

In the short time he was on Junior looked good. Strong, held it up well, won free kicks and had a drive and shot then the chance he missed. 

I had just commented before he came on that we didn't have a striker who could control and turn with the ball the way Defoe does and then junior came on and did exactly that!

The running concern is that we don't have a 15-goal striker, and that instead we have three five-goal strikers, but that's not me saying I think we should get a striker in. No way are we going to have five strikers (incl Cooke when fit) fighting over one position. (Edit: just saw [mention=15134]St.Ricky[/mention]'s post - opinions are like arseholes, I guess :thumbs2 )

Obika scored 12 & 10 goals in his first 2 seasons with Swindon

If he manages that with us then that will be a success

Morias has a record of a goal every 4 league games, including sub appearances. It’s a decent record.

We now have 4 strikers for 1 place in the team

I can’t see us signing another one unless someone leaves

6 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Obika scored 12 & 10 goals in his first 2 seasons with Swindon

If he manages that with us then that will be a success

Morias has a record of a goal every 4 league games, including sub appearances. It’s a decent record.

We now have 4 strikers for 1 place in the team

I can’t see us signing another one unless someone leaves

Difficult to argue too strongly with you. Cody Cooke injury might a part. 

On 8/27/2019 at 6:12 PM, W6Saint said:

Shocked and slightly disappointed we never went for Dario Zanatta - looked a good one and Goody rated him. Still got faith in the forwards he's brought in that look useful.

Shocked seems a tad dramatic. 

Looked ok at Alloa and a decent enough spell at QP. Thistle will be a step up and an interesting test, but nothing there to say he’s better than what we have.

What I hear is that things are stalled. working on two to come in. Centrehalf and winger. I know what your all going to say. We don't need another winger. But as Jim says, if there is someone who is going to improve us then he;s interested no matter where he plays.

2 minutes ago, insaintee said:

What I hear is that things are stalled. working on two to come in. Centrehalf and winger. I know what your all going to say. We don't need another winger. But as Jim says, if there is someone who is going to improve us then he;s interested no matter where he plays.

I know it probably a non starter but hope the CH is Mihai .

Just now, linwood buddie said:

I know it probably a non starter but hope the CH is Mihai .

I don't have a name, all I've been told is that's a player I will have heard off. I've heard of a lot of players to it could be anyone.  CH is not popsecu.   Mystic Meg has spoken.

While Popescu was good he tailed off on form especially in the play offs. I actually think we already have better in McLoughlin. This lad is a real prospect and will go onto bigger and better things. What we need is another experienced CH in the same mould as McKenzie. 

What are the chances of us getting Lewis Morgan back on loan?

Heard he's been struggling so far this season for Celtic so they may opt to send him out on loan again.