Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

13 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

It was quite commonly known that in order to get Broadfoot in, Jack Baird's wage had to be freed up, hence him moving on loan to Morton.

Given no-one has since moved in either direction, either GLS is going to increase the budget for another couple of players (which is feasible) or if not, folk will have to go out to come in.

It's not common knowledge at all - my point was the poster is making assumptions about the club's wage bill which he knows nothing of.

By the way, Baird signed for Morton for 6 months. Broadfoot signed for 2 years. McLoughlin was on a 6 month loan and we're trying to keep him...

Are you saying we're about to be over budget?

There will be money in the pot for Goodwin - or we wouldn't be talking to rival players about PCA's for next year or declaring we're about to bring in 5 players.

Edited by W6Saint

5 hours ago, W6Saint said:

It's not common knowledge at all - my point was the poster is making assumptions about the club's wage bill which he knows nothing of.

By the way, Baird signed for Morton for 6 months. Broadfoot signed for 2 years. McLoughlin was on a 6 month loan and we're trying to keep him...

Are you saying we're about to be over budget?

There will be money in the pot for Goodwin - or we wouldn't be talking to rival players about PCA's for next year or declaring we're about to bring in 5 players.

We might not be. Budgets being adjusted in the winter is certainly nothing new but we were having to free at least some money up in summer for Kirk to come in, which was why Baird was shifted really out of the blue. Again, I'm not disagreeing that there is money in the budget to bring players in just now (by way of an increase), just that there was no more budget room for additional faces in the summer. 

A PCA doesn't necessarily mean that there is budget just now either. It just means that wages freed up by guys who we already know definitely won't be here next season like Hladky are being prepped to be spent elsewhere. 

Also, where are we declaring 5 players are arriving? Goodwin has mentioned he wants a couple of strong improvements coming in. Presumably that two he's looking for will now be three if Mcloughlin is really done with us. 

15 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Osman Sow and Simeon Jackson both released by Killie today. 

Hard pass on both. Sow is f**king mince and Jackson, whilst he did us a turn, isn't as good as what we currently have. 

Sow is still a Utd player I think. Hopefully no attempt to make a deal involving S McGinn !!!

16 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Sow is still a Utd player I think. Hopefully no attempt to make a deal involving S McGinn !!!

If Goodwin watched him for 75 mins on Sunday and thought he could bring anything to our squad, he'd need his head looking at. Don't think there's any danger of this.

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

We might not be. Budgets being adjusted in the winter is certainly nothing new but we were having to free at least some money up in summer for Kirk to come in, which was why Baird was shifted really out of the blue. Again, I'm not disagreeing that there is money in the budget to bring players in just now (by way of an increase), just that there was no more budget room for additional faces in the summer. 

A PCA doesn't necessarily mean that there is budget just now either. It just means that wages freed up by guys who we already know definitely won't be here next season like Hladky are being prepped to be spent elsewhere. 

Also, where are we declaring 5 players are arriving? Goodwin has mentioned he wants a couple of strong improvements coming in. Presumably that two he's looking for will now be three if Mcloughlin is really done with us. 

In fairness Tony Fitz mentioned 5 positions we are looking to aff. I think one of the centre half positions is possibly with view of McLoughlin moving on as there was never any guarantee Hull would allow us to extend his stay. Whether the other centre half position is to replace Baird or to add to our options I have no idea, though with GMack being forever injury prone, this is most likely going to be his last season and a long term replacement with similar attributes will be the target of being sourced I'd think.

2 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

In fairness Tony Fitz mentioned 5 positions we are looking to aff. I think one of the centre half positions is possibly with view of McLoughlin moving on as there was never any guarantee Hull would allow us to extend his stay. Whether the other centre half position is to replace Baird or to add to our options I have no idea, though with GMack being forever injury prone, this is most likely going to be his last season and a long term replacement with similar attributes will be the target of being sourced I'd think.

Also in fairness, Fitzy said last January in the 1877 club that we were on verge of signing 4 players by the next game and we got one in by the next match.

I love the guy but I'm very much in the 'believe it when I see it' category when it comes to what he tells supporters pre and post match in the bar.

We should go and sign Gavin Reilly. He wouldve scored a barrel load in that killie game. Hes not the best footballer but give him a chance in the box and more often than not he'll bury it. A bit like in the shankland mould. Could be the answer to all these missed chances and dropped points in games.

Bring him back Jim!

1 hour ago, Big Yards said:

We should go and sign Gavin Reilly. He wouldve scored a barrel load in that killie game. Hes not the best footballer but give him a chance in the box and more often than not he'll bury it. A bit like in the shankland mould. Could be the answer to all these missed chances and dropped points in games.

Bring him back Jim!

Out on loan.. One level up from the Conference. 

3 minutes ago, Big Yards said:

We all know what he can do, doesnt matter who hes playing with down south. We all witnessed him score over 30 goals and help us win the championship. Why all the doubters??

because he did it with Lewis Morgan and Cammy Smith in the side providing ..... we dont have those types of players anymore hence we must play differently and sign appropriately.

1 hour ago, Big Yards said:

We all know what he can do, doesnt matter who hes playing with down south. We all witnessed him score over 30 goals and help us win the championship. Why all the doubters??

22 > 30

:lol:

Also half of those 22 goals were in cups against likes of Airdrie, Hearts U20s and Hutchy Vale.

In reality he scored 11 league goals in 35 league games. A decent return but let's not f**king kid on the boy is Pele. Stewart Kean was objectively  a better championship striker than Gavin Reilly and he couldn't cut it in the top league either. Reilly grabbed 4 goals in a full season at Hearts who had a better side than we have currently. 

Gavin Reilly is a decent championship centre forward. He's absolutely not the answer for us. 

Edited by djchapsticks

When was that? Or are you just making things up, again?

[emoji28]

I believe the season you are referring to was our league winning year of 17/18. Reilly struggled to get a game after we had signed Mullen and scored 11 league goals.

He did also score 11 cup goals, including those mentioned against LTHV and Hearts under 20’s for a season total of 22 in all competitions.

The reason Mullen kept him out the team is cause Mullen is better than him. That’s the same Danny Mullen who is currently our 4th choice striker.

Ergo, we shouldn’t be touching that dud with a ten foot barge pole.

4 minutes ago, Stockholmbud said:

Linked with striker Blair Lyons from Montrose 

Quite a few clubs been linked with him, according to my Montrose mole.

Very good player, although he would say that. 

Quote...........He is more of a winger than a striker to be honest. Good old fashioned winger with skill who will run at folk all day. As far as I know Dundee, St Johnstone and Partick Thistle also linked

Edited by faraway saint

On 12/30/2019 at 1:02 PM, djchapsticks said:

It was quite commonly known that in order to get Broadfoot in, Jack Baird's wage had to be freed up, hence him moving on loan to Morton.

Given no-one has since moved in either direction, either GLS is going to increase the budget for another couple of players (which is feasible) or if not, folk will have to go out to come in.

Apparently we had a bigger crowd against Killie than expected - things like that can bring in another £20,000 - so a few more of these and we can afford another player surely.

Also McLoughlin's wage now freed up and perhaps some of the younger guys out on loan too....

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Quite a few clubs been linked with him, according to my Montrose mole.

Very good player, although he would say that. 

Quote...........He is more of a winger than a striker to be honest. Good old fashioned winger with skill who will run at folk all day. As far as I know Dundee, St Johnstone and Partick Thistle also linked

Interestingly, he started off at Glennifer Thistle in 2015 before he went out on a scholarship to the USA so you'd imagine his ability will at least be known within the club.

3 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Surely any decent player would prefer to come to us next season than spending a season in the Championship with those two. 

I doubt St Johnstone will be in the championship and many players will chose a club for all sorts of reasons, could be sure of more game time, financially and winning games :rolleyes:could all be factors in choosing a club.