Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

24 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Nesbitt is a Shankland type. Touted as very promising at a young age and struggled to live up to it. 

Had to drop a couple of levels to get his rhythm. 

Dunfermline have him tied to two or three years and they would be looking for middle six figures I'd imagine. With clubs bigger than us surely sniffing about him if he became available, we've no chance 

Shankland came from a much higher level of team and hasn't had to drop a couple of levels.

It's a sign of the times that we can't look to sign a player from Dunfermline. 

We don't need Nesbitt, we have Obika. 

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Shankland came from a much higher level of team and hasn't had to drop a couple of levels.

It's a sign of the times that we can't look to sign a player from Dunfermline. 

We don't need Nesbitt, we have Obika. 

Shankland had to drop from Aberdeen to Ayr (via ourselves and Morton loan spells obviously) who were in League One and part time at that point to get his groove.

Nisbett started out at Partick (who were troubling the top 6 in the Premier League at the time) but followed them down to the Championship where he still couldn't cut it. He then also dropped down to League One with Raith to find form and confidence.

Both players needed a boot up the hole to kick start their careers. Stephen Dobbie needed similar around 2007 when he was pushing 17 stone playing for St. Johnstone and papped out to Dumbarton before going to QotS

I agree, it is a sign of the times but a player like Nisbett will inevitably draw a lot of attention and given he still has 18 months on his contract, we'll be priced out....just like we were priced out of Leigh Griffiths when he was doing similar for Dundee in the Championship and Danny Lennon was making public statements about him. I'm also sure the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen fans would have taken the same standpoint when they couldn't have afforded to take Lewis Morgan from ourselves.

Edited by djchapsticks

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Shankland had to drop from Aberdeen to Ayr (via ourselves and Morton loan spells obviously) who were in League One and part time at that point to get his groove.

Nisbett started out at Partick (who were troubling the top 6 in the Premier League at the time) but followed them down to the Championship where he still couldn't cut it. He then also dropped down to League One with Raith to find form and confidence.

Both players needed a boot up the hole to kick start their careers. Stephen Dobbie needed similar around 2007 when he was pushing 17 stone playing for St. Johnstone and papped out to Dumbarton before going to QotS

I agree, it is a sign of the times but a player like Nisbett will inevitably draw a lot of attention and given he still has 18 months on his contract, we'll be priced out....just like we were priced out of Leigh Griffiths when he was doing similar for Dundee in the Championship and Danny Lennon was making public statements about him. I'm also sure the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen fans would have taken the same standpoint when they couldn't have afforded to take Lewis Morgan from ourselves.

Overstating Partick who hardly troubled the top 6 for any sustained period. 

Many players go through periods, Shankland being one, where they don't fulfil earlier promise.

The managers, IMO, play a large part in this, showing they can, or can't, manage to get the best from a player as it's always easy to put all the onus on the player.

Hence your "boot up the arse" point.

Just remembered a comment from Rangers TV on Wednesday that Morias looks more like a weightlifter than a football player, looks like he weighs about 12 stone.................not counting below the waist. 

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Overstating Partick who hardly troubled the top 6 for any sustained period. 

Many players go through periods, Shankland being one, where they don't fulfil earlier promise.

The managers, IMO, play a large part in this, showing they can, or can't, manage to get the best from a player as it's always easy to put all the onus on the player.

Hence your "boot up the arse" point.

Just remembered a comment from Rangers TV on Wednesday that Morias looks more like a weightlifter than a football player, looks like he weighs about 12 stone.................not counting below the waist. 

I mostly agree with what you are saying. The point was that both broke through in Premier league sides who were by and large, very competitive at the times when they were breaking in.

To clarify the boot up the arse though, in these cases, Shankland and Nesbit have both said they needed that reality check after being labelled as promising talents, that they could end up playing at places like Annan and Stirling their entire careers if they didn't work hard. Shankland had become a bit disillusioned in general, put on a fair bit of weight and had seemingly lost his way. Nesbit had fallen into the pitfalls of being around a poor choice of company. The Shankland we saw in his second spell with us was nothing like the one we see today.

I'm glad both players have turned it around and would love both but I think the ship has sailed on them unfortunately.

On the other side of the coin, look at someone like Tony Watt. 26 years old and still living off the back of a goal against arguably one of the best assembled squads the world has ever seen. He scored a goal against Barcelona and he'd made it. He maintains very decent moves despite the fact that in the last 5 years he has scored a grand total of about 13 or 14 league goals across 7 different clubs.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I mostly agree with what you are saying. The point was that both broke through in Premier league sides who were by and large, very competitive at the times when they were breaking in.

To clarify the boot up the arse though, in these cases, Shankland and Nesbit have both said they needed that reality check after being labelled as promising talents, that they could end up playing at places like Annan and Stirling their entire careers if they didn't work hard. Shankland had become a bit disillusioned in general, put on a fair bit of weight and had seemingly lost his way. Nesbit had fallen into the pitfalls of being around a poor choice of company. The Shankland we saw in his second spell with us was nothing like the one we see today.

I'm glad both players have turned it around and would love both but I think the ship has sailed on them unfortunately.

On the other side of the coin, look at someone like Tony Watt. 26 years old and still living off the back of a goal against arguably one of the best assembled squads the world has ever seen. He scored a goal against Barcelona and he'd made it. He maintains very decent moves despite the fact that in the last 5 years he has scored a grand total of about 13 or 14 league goals across 7 different clubs.

Oh to trouble the top six, even for short periods. You are spot on. Both came through, lost their way, moved down a division and have wakened up to what is required off them to fulfill their potential. I've gone to a few Dunfermline games and definitely rate the lad. Out of our price range? Very likely with DAFC in and around a play off spot. 

On 1/24/2020 at 11:47 PM, djchapsticks said:

Nesbitt is a Shankland type. Touted as very promising at a young age and struggled to live up to it. 

Had to drop a couple of levels to get his rhythm. 

Dunfermline have him tied to two or three years and they would be looking for middle six figures I'd imagine. With clubs bigger than us surely sniffing about him if he became available, we've no chance 

I don’t claim to know anything about Dunfermline’s current financial position, but surely any Championship club other than perhaps Dundee Utd, wouldn’t be in a position to hold out for that kind of money. Would they be able to turn their nose up at £80/90k? Not that I’m saying we can afford that, but I doubt they’d be able to hold out for middle six figures. 

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I don’t claim to know anything about Dunfermline’s current financial position, but surely any Championship club other than perhaps Dundee Utd, wouldn’t be in a position to hold out for that kind of money. Would they be able to turn their nose up at £80/90k? Not that I’m saying we can afford that, but I doubt they’d be able to hold out for middle six figures. 

Well.. Looks like we can't 

33 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Don't think they are in as much peril as they used to be. If I remember correctly, they shelled out about £40-50k for Andy Ryan from Airdrie a couple of years ago. Even at that. If we could offer 80k, there's going to be an Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs who could and would easily come in and shark us.

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Don't think they are in as much peril as they used to be. If I remember correctly, they shelled out about £40-50k for Andy Ryan from Airdrie a couple of years ago. Even at that. If we could offer 80k, there's going to be an Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs who could and would easily come in and shark us.

Doing our business in private has worked well  Said earlier that I think the boy is talented and has an eye for goal. The Pars main financial woes are behind them but still shaky. 

I don’t think their financial position has improved dramatically, and think it would be a good punt.

I don’t think their financial position has improved dramatically, and think it would be a good punt.

17 minutes ago, mattman said:

65A75BAC-11F4-4434-AE13-E9805525C099.png

Personally don't think he is what we need. He's at a good age, though he has been a journeyman and scored very few goals in his career so far. Wasn't overly impressed with him at St Johnstone.
We need someone with a decent goal ratio to their name

my take on recent speculation. 

Nothing short of £200k for P McGinn or I’d be disappointed 

would be happy with Watt, fakes wanted to keep him this season, tells me he could probably do a job. 

hopefully a right back lined up if McGinn goes and with the cash, would love to see a left back, someone to plug the Maggenis gap and maybe an out and out striker which Watt isn’t really. 

8 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

my take on recent speculation. 

Nothing short of £200k for P McGinn or I’d be disappointed 

would be happy with Watt, fakes wanted to keep him this season, tells me he could probably do a job. 

hopefully a right back lined up if McGinn goes and with the cash, would love to see a left back, someone to plug the Maggenis gap and maybe an out and out striker which Watt isn’t really. 

A bit high on the few B.. Although I would love you to be right!  Don't disagree too much with your other comments. 

10 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

As I said, Watt isn't an out and out striker, doesn't make him a bad forward option player.

These fakes... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47861667

But we need an out and out striker. We've got plenty that fit the "decent forward option" category.

Watt is a waste of space who has made a career out of one goal against Barcelona. I hope we don't go near him.

42 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

A bit high on the few B.. Although I would love you to be right!  Don't disagree too much with your other comments. 

We received around £25k for Jason Naismith when Ross County wanted to bring him in early after agreeing a pre-contract. I would expect something similar, though a bonus if we do get more, as we are not exactly in a position to release a consistent great performer without there being something in return for it.

13 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

But we need an out and out striker. We've got plenty that fit the "decent forward option" category.

Watt is a waste of space who has made a career out of one goal against Barcelona. I hope we don't go near him.

Several Jonnies on P&B all say he is not a goal scorer but holds the ball up, brings others into play and works hard. Which is more than our current forward line do. Although we do tick the box for missing lots of sitters.

' I'd have him back in a minute to be honest. Maybe wont solve your goalscoring problem because he was inclined to miss a lot of sitters with us but he was excellent at holding the ball up, bringing others into play and worked hard for the team. Certainly not the work shy trouble maker we were warned about when he played for us.'