Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

1 minute ago, kevo_smfc said:

We received around £25k for Jason Naismith when Ross County wanted to bring him in early after agreeing a pre-contract. I would expect something similar, though a bonus if we do get more, as we are not exactly in a position to release a consistent great performer without there being something in return for it.

Also.. As a guide... Aberdeen paid £70k to get Mattie Kennedy in this transfer window 

4 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Several Jonnies on P&B all say he is not a goal scorer but holds the ball up, brings others into play and works hard. Which is more than our current forward line do. Although we do tick the box for missing lots of sitters.

' I'd have him back in a minute to be honest. Maybe wont solve your goalscoring problem because he was inclined to miss a lot of sitters with us but he was excellent at holding the ball up, bringing others into play and worked hard for the team. Certainly not the work shy trouble maker we were warned about when he played for us.'

Fair dos.

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

As I said, Watt isn't an out and out striker, doesn't make him a bad forward option player.

These fakes... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47861667

You were on about Fakes fans, not Tommy Wright.

We have enough of these strikers who do other things well but can’t find the net. Danny runs around a lot, Morais does the same thing as Watt, Cooke doesn’t get a chance but scored more in one league match than Watt did all season. Fans slate Obika but he’s already one goal off matching last season’s top scorers.

Watt isn’t going to add anything we don’t already have. We had some fans wanting May and Miller and they both turned out to be total gash at the Fakes and Dundee.

54 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

But we need an out and out striker. We've got plenty that fit the "decent forward option" category.

Watt is a waste of space who has made a career out of one goal against Barcelona. I hope we don't go near him.

I think Watt would add to the team overall, could see him being a big player for us. That’s not me denying we could use a striker, as Goody has said many times, they aren’t easy to come by. We shouldn’t take it for granted we’ll get one that fits.

You’ll likely get your wish if he goes anywhere near our fan sites or social media. Ripping a potential signing is ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

You were on about Fakes fans, not Tommy Wright.

We have enough of these strikers who do other things well but can’t find the net. Danny runs around a lot, Morais does the same thing as Watt, Cooke doesn’t get a chance but scored more in one league match than Watt did all season. Fans slate Obika but he’s already one goal off matching last season’s top scorers.

Watt isn’t going to add anything we don’t already have. We had some fans wanting May and Miller and they both turned out to be total gash at the Fakes and Dundee.

No I wasn’t “Fakes wanted to keep him” In other words the team, I was referring to them offering a new contract. That’s just pure word spinning from you. But TBH Tommy Wright would be the first opinion I’d go for in Scottish football regarding him at the fakes last season, certainly ahead of any St Johnstone fan. Same as I would take people like Gus, Tony and Goody’s opinion if they’ve evaluated the player over any St Mirren fan.

I personally think Watt would be a step up on Danny and Cooke, potentially on Morias as well, although he is showing shades of his ability. Comparing Cooke scoring in one game to Watt is irrelevant, I already said he isn’t an out and out goal scorer. Also, that hat-trick definitely has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I don’t slate Obika, can be frustrating at times but like Morias I think he’s very close to being a really good player for us.

That’s your opinion, I think he will and as above, I’ll trust the people at the club over the fans who have very likely seen much less of him.

No I wasn’t “Fakes wanted to keep him” In other words the team, I was referring to them offering a new contract. That’s just pure word spinning from you. But TBH Tommy Wright would be the first opinion I’d go for in Scottish football regarding him at the fakes last season, certainly ahead of any St Johnstone fan. Same as I would take people like Gus, Tony and Goody’s opinion if they’ve evaluated the player over any St Mirren fan.

I personally think Watt would be a step up on Danny and Cooke, potentially on Morias as well, although he is showing shades of his ability. Comparing Cooke scoring in one game to Watt is irrelevant, I already said he isn’t an out and out goal scorer. Also, that hat-trick definitely has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I don’t slate Obika, can be frustrating at times but like Morias I think he’s very close to being a really good player for us.

That’s your opinion, I think he will and as above, I’ll trust the people at the club over the fans who have very likely seen much less of him.

Actually fair enough, you didny mention the word “fans”, I’ve just re-checked.

I do disagree with your hat trick comment though. He’s the first and only player to score one in the top flight for us since Thompson, and I canny even remember who managed a similar feat before Thommo. It’s most definitely not “pinch of salt”.

The same people at the club tried landing Miller (apart from obviously Goodwin) and May - both were/are shite signings as we’ve seen at their respected clubs. Of course it’s just football, they ain’t going to get it right 100% of the time and I’m not going to claim otherwise. For every Djorkaeff there’s a McLoughlin. I do believe Watt would be a mistake though.

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I do disagree with your hat trick comment though. He’s the first and only player to score one in the top flight for us since Thompson, and I canny even remember who managed a similar feat before Thommo. It’s most definitely not “pinch of salt”.

The same people at the club tried landing Miller (apart from obviously Goodwin) and May - both were/are shite signings as we’ve seen at their respected clubs. Of course it’s just football, they ain’t going to get it right 100% of the time and I’m not going to claim otherwise. For every Djorkaeff there’s a McLoughlin. I do believe Watt would be a mistake though.

That’s fine, I personally don’t think the keeper or defenders will want to see any of the goals back, amateur mistakes for at least two.

Could argue the same people also landed Popescu, Hladky, Foley, Muzek, Dreyer . If credit is to be taken away from players linked to the club (we’ll never know if either of them would have been a success at St Mirren), it has to be given for the good ones. You’re right though there is no easy formula in signing players. I think Watt is a suitable enough gamble, will he pay off? Time would tell.

47 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

That’s fine, I personally don’t think the keeper or defenders will want to see any of the goals back, amateur mistakes for at least two.

Could argue the same people also landed Popescu, Hladky, Foley, Muzek, Dreyer . If credit is to be taken away from players linked to the club (we’ll never know if either of them would have been a success at St Mirren), it has to be given for the good ones. You’re right though there is no easy formula in signing players. I think Watt is a suitable enough gamble, will he pay off? Time would tell.

Either way a hat trick is a hat trick and if errors were being made, then credit to Cody for being in the right place. That’s what you want from a striker, someone who knows where to be when it matters. People keep going on about Obika and the ball smacking off him into the goal - simple fact is he knows where to be when it matters most.

Its exactly why I said for every Djorkaeff there’s a McLoughlin. I wasn’t having a full on dig at the management team, hence why I mentioned Sam. I did try to strongly imply no management team gets it right all the time. The only one I’ll have a dig at is Stubbs because most of the guys he signed are playing non-league football in England now.

Either way a hat trick is a hat trick and if errors were being made, then credit to Cody for being in the right place. That’s what you want from a striker, someone who knows where to be when it matters. People keep going on about Obika and the ball smacking off him into the goal - simple fact is he knows where to be when it matters most.
Its exactly why I said for every Djorkaeff there’s a McLoughlin. I wasn’t having a full on dig at the management team, hence why I mentioned Sam. I did try to strongly imply no management team gets it right all the time. The only one I’ll have a dig at is Stubbs because most of the guys he signed are playing non-league football in England now.
Cooke, Coulson, Jones, Hodson, Willock ... not playing non league football.

14 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:
23 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Cooke, Coulson, Jones, Hodson, Willock ... not playing non league football.

In fairness four of those guys were loanees, and the other is still with us (the one remaining Stubbs signing).

It was more aimed at the permanent signings like Kpekawa and Heaton.

2 hours ago, NB18 said:

New goalie signed today emoji106.pngIMG_20200127_155709.jpeg

Goodwin’s words according to the Daily Record:

He's got fantastic attributes. He's around 6 foot 4 and Jamie Langfield likes the look of him. Technically he's got a lot to do and a lot to learn. He's a long way off playing for our first team.

200k for a guy almost out of contract get real ! It will be "nominal fee" it he goes this window likely sub 50k.

my take on recent speculation. 

Nothing short of £200k for P McGinn or I’d be disappointed 
would be happy with Watt, fakes wanted to keep him this season, tells me he could probably do a job. 

hopefully a right back lined up if McGinn goes and with the cash, would love to see a left back, someone to plug the Maggenis gap and maybe an out and out striker which Watt isn’t really. 

15 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I agree a hat trick is a hat trick and don’t want to take anything away from him. My point is in using that single game as a benchmark in comparing a possible signing. If we want to look at stuff in isolation, Watt scored six goals in nine league games last season for the Fakes. When was the last saints player to score six in nine? i agree on Obika. 

I will go with whatever the management think, if they want Watt, great, I can definitely see why he’d be on the radar. Does it mean he’ll be a success? As you’ve eluded to, no. 

13 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

200k for a guy almost out of contract get real ! It will be "nominal fee" it he goes this window likely sub 50k.

If it’s a nominal fee I would be saying no, this is my point. I’d rather keep him until the summer if we’re only getting a silly wee fee. 

To clarify, I’m not saying that will be the case, I’m saying I would be very disappointed if we let him go for less. 

I agree a hat trick is a hat trick and don’t want to take anything away from him. My point is in using that single game as a benchmark in comparing a possible signing. If we want to look at stuff in isolation, Watt scored six goals in nine league games last season for the Fakes. When was the last saints player to score six in nine? i agree on Obika. 

I will go with whatever the management think, if they want Watt, great, I can definitely see why he’d be on the radar. Does it mean he’ll be a success? As you’ve eluded to, no. 
Where are you seeing that? Looks to me like Watt scored just 3 league goals for the Fakes, and that he's scored just 11 league goals in total over the last 4 years!

30 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:

Where are you seeing that? Looks to me like Watt scored just 3 league goals for the Fakes, and that he's scored just 11 league goals in total over the last 4 years!

Six goals in opening nine games sorry, not league only. 

1 - Montrose

1 - Forfar

1 - Hibs

2 - QOS

1 - Dundee

Still a better start than any St Mirren player of the last two seasons as far as I can see. 

Six goals in opening nine games sorry, not league only. 

1 - Montrose

1 - Forfar

1 - Hibs

2 - QOS

1 - Dundee

Still a better start than any St Mirren player of the last two seasons as far as I can see. 

Ah. In my opinion you can't interpret much from goals against Montrose, Forfar, QotS, etc. Obika could well score a barrel load against them on a nice Autumn evening.
Watt's league record for the Fakes was 22 starts, 7 subs, 3 goals. Pretty bad.