Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

13 minutes ago, pod said:

Why, do you think it will only effect us. :unsure:

No it won’t just be us, it will be all countries. It’s just another reason on the long list of cons that players think about before coming here, I.e shit weather, long winter, better pay in England etc 

50 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I just hope that enough teams survive to form a league. I think football in general is going to look very different going forward, I can’t imagine overseas players returning to Scotland if there is any chance of Covid returning every winter. 

Just as well Hladky is still in Scotland.:thumbs2

Just now, ALBIONSAINT said:

No it won’t just be us, it will be all countries. It’s just another reason on the long list of cons that players think about before coming here, I.e shit weather, long winter, better pay in England etc 

All outweighed by the honour of pulling on the stripes.:whistle

3 hours ago, TediousTom said:

I doubt that two of those clubs would be able to prise our asset's from us.  Hearts are facing meltdown in a sea of recrimination and child like tears, St Johnstone are no bigger than us and are unlikely to pose an attractive proposition to any player currently donning the black and white. Motherwell are the only club that are worthy of mention as they are riding the cusp of a wave at this time and may for once be able to throw an extra few quid into the pot.  Our time to finally outperform these clubs is long overdue and surely on the horizon.

Hladky - it would be great to keep him.  A legend in his own contract due in no small measure to the best performance I have ever seen from a goal keep during penalty kicks.  I fear he may well be tempted by the lure of excessive coin.  Although differing in position this reminds me of Tottie Beck leaving us, although many other examples exist my mind is somehow drawn toward Tottie.  I suppose Billy Thompson would be more appropriate but I shall stick with Tottie.

Wallace - You know the lad did very well.  His perfectly picked pass for big Jon Obika's season saving goal was exquisite to the indeed.  At his age though I doubt that a bigger club than us would come a calling. Ross Wallace is set to finish his career at a big club, I would venture that he is very happy and will be going nowhere unless it is either retirement or at our behest.  Does Ross have another season in him? 

I feel good about next season, if I dodge this virus and I am able to see it I hope at last for some progress. 

And yet historically we have lost players to all three teams (Add in Ross County and Kilmarncock) The problem teams like St Mirren have is that usually they have to re build every year and thus there is no traction. I'd be more concerned about keeping players than getting new ones. And to TBF it's not every season I've thought that. 

4 minutes ago, insaintee said:

And yet historically we have lost players to all three teams (Add in Ross County and Kilmarncock) The problem teams like St Mirren have is that usually they have to re build every year and thus there is no traction. I'd be more concerned about keeping players than getting new ones. And to TBF it's not every season I've thought that. 

Why would we be losing Obika?

He's on a two year deal.

None of the teams you have mentioned could afford him, even if we were willing to sell, which I doubt we would be.

He's also a player who has recently expressed a desire to extend his time at the club.

Edited by FTOF

2 hours ago, insaintee said:

I think the club were actively trying to change the cycle by offering longer contracts under Goodwin so maybe this will better enable us to cope.

5 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I think the club were actively trying to change the cycle by offering longer contracts under Goodwin so maybe this will better enable us to cope.

I agree.  It was what was happening.

However, that may also now be a problem as those self-same players now have longer contracts at a time when they have no work to go to.

Earlier mismanagement might have been so much more economical in this circumstance.

On 4/26/2020 at 2:15 PM, FTOF said:

Why would we be losing Obika?

He's on a two year deal.

None of the teams you have mentioned could afford him, even if we were willing to sell, which I doubt we would be.

He's also a player who has recently expressed a desire to extend his time at the club.

If Obika had gone on and scored 15 league goals someone would have broken the bank for him. First they would tap him by "speaking to his agent" then  we'd hear, "there's no point keeping someone who does not want to be here." Then mysteriously there's a buy out clause.  Seen it all before. 

18 hours ago, antrin said:

I agree.  It was what was happening.

However, that may also now be a problem as those self-same players now have longer contracts at a time when they have no work to go to.

Earlier mismanagement might have been so much more economical in this circumstance.

Short term thinking 

1 hour ago, insaintee said:

If Obika had gone on and scored 15 league goals someone would have broken the bank for him. First they would tap him by "speaking to his agent" then  we'd hear, "there's no point keeping someone who does not want to be here." Then mysteriously there's a buy out clause.  Seen it all before. 

Relax, he didn't. :wink:

On 4/27/2020 at 4:58 PM, insaintee said:

Not a chance.

On 4/26/2020 at 12:50 PM, ALBIONSAINT said:

I just hope that enough teams survive to form a league. I think football in general is going to look very different going forward, I can’t imagine overseas players returning to Scotland if there is any chance of Covid returning every winter. 

Football is going to look very different anyway, even before this. Brexit and the probable work permit regulations will essentially wipe out the ability of UK teams to sign players outwith the British Isles for all but the biggest clubs. 

I for one am all for clubs in respective countries having a better chance of keeping hold of players going forward. Maybe then, the elite clubs will not hoard players and young players from places like Holland, Netherlands, Belgium etc won't be swept up at 17 or 18 by clubs in Spain, Italy and England. Dare I say we might see clubs in countries like these actually being able to build sustainable and talented squads. 

The bleed down of that is that smaller clubs in Scotland might have more of a chance in holding onto young talent for significantly longer and building more long term. 

On 4/27/2020 at 4:58 PM, insaintee said:

If teams watched his goals this season would see about ten hit off him and deflected in, won’t be that lucky ever again...gives u 100% and that’s all u can ask.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 12:50 PM, ALBIONSAINT said:

You make a good point in your first sentence. 

On 5/25/2020 at 6:50 PM, TediousTom said:

So apparently Brad Lyons has a month left on his Blackburn contract and has failed to break into the Blackburn first team so he may be available

Hes absolutely shite, fecking terrible footballer, why the f**k would anybody would want to sign him is beyond me, fecking rotten!