Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

JG on Sky Sports saying 4 or 5 more in, primarily defenders.

Also looking for another centre forward to compete with Jon Obika and Morias.

Personally, I think 2 centre halves, a left back and two forward options are a must.

Thought having 4 striking options last season was too much, ended up with 5😂 wouldn’t be sad seeing morias replaced but seems to be in the managers plans.

Edited by mattman

7 minutes ago, mattman said:

Thought having 4 striking options last season was too much, ended up with 5😂 wouldn’t be sad seeing morias replaced but seems to be in the managers plans.

We actually ended up with six!

Obika, Jakubiak, Morias, Cooke, Mullen and Chabbi.

Obika and Morias are all that's left and given Goodwin enjoyed going with 2 up quite a lot last season, I'd be hopeful of Jakubiak returning to the club and another forward option.

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Obika and Morias are all that's left and given Goodwin enjoyed going with 2 up quite a lot last season, I'd be hopeful of Jakubiak returning to the club and another forward option.

Forgot all about Chabbi😂😂 

yeah true, he does go with the two quite a lot, but even when we had the 4, Cooke never got a sniff, could be a wasted wage as it’s hard to find proper quality up top.

5 minutes ago, mattman said:

Forgot all about Chabbi😂😂 

yeah true, he does go with the two quite a lot, but even when we had the 4, Cooke never got a sniff, could be a wasted wage as it’s hard to find proper quality up top.

Agreed but if you are going 2 up top even 50% of the time, you definitely need a 4th forward in the squad. You saw last season what injuries and a lack of cover can do in devastating a squad.  There are a lot of good options without clubs down south and you need to believe that the choice of clubs available to an out of contract player down there has narrowed significantly.

I've said it before, we might get one or two players coming aboard that we'd normally have been beaten all ends up to getting.

13 hours ago, mattman said:

Morias gives the impression that he tries too hard.

If JG can get him to relax a bit there might still be a future for him here.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. 25 year old Mitch Rose, a box-to-box midfielder most recently with Notts County is a target accordingly to one of the tabloids.
He is the brother of Spurs player Danny Rose.

On the subject of strikers, could we possibly run with Obika, Morias and one more (hopefully Jakubiak) if budget was stretched? There may be one or two midfield options who can play high up off the one striker as an alternative option? I'm not sure if there is potentially a striker within our reserves who could make up a 4th striker position. 
Morias gives us flexibility in games to either move out wide or partner Obika. A player with similar attributes would be good.

5 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. 25 year old Mitch Rose, a box-to-box midfielder most recently with Notts County is a target accordingly to one of the tabloids.
He is the brother of Spurs player Danny Rose.

On the subject of strikers, could we possibly run with Obika, Morias and one more (hopefully Jakubiak) if budget was stretched? There may be one or two midfield options who can play high up off the one striker as an alternative option? I'm not sure if there is potentially a striker within our reserves who could make up a 4th striker position. 
Morias gives us flexibility in games to either move out wide or partner Obika. A player with similar attributes would be good.

It has, but not as good as your post.

On 6/25/2020 at 10:45 PM, djchapsticks said:

Please note we were the lowest scorers in the league last season, by a few goals, however we stayed up due to a meaner defence.

We need to freshen up the front line with someone who can get 12 + goals a season and keep Obika. I would have liked Cooke to have made it, and I know he had a bad injury, but I'm just not sure he has the ability to step up and really worry defences in this league. 

I go with the argument that you need probably at least 5 strikers (a) to cover for injuries and (b) to freshen things up if anyone isn't making the grade.

2 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

Please note we were the lowest scorers in the league last season, by a few goals, however we stayed up due to a meaner defence.

We need to freshen up the front line with someone who can get 12 + goals a season and keep Obika. I would have liked Cooke to have made it, and I know he had a bad injury, but I'm just not sure he has the ability to step up and really worry defences in this league. 

I go with the argument that you need probably at least 5 strikers (a) to cover for injuries and (b) to freshen things up if anyone isn't making the grade.

Shame we didn't hang onto Ross Stewart rather than sell him to Ross County. He's proved he can score goals at this level.

Of all the stupid things that Stubbs did in his less than 3 months in charge the sale of Ross Stewart to Ross County was by far the stupidest and frankly amateurish decision he made.  It's now wonder that JR, who brought him to us, is now trying to lure him to Hibs (if they can find the money obviously).

On 6/25/2020 at 8:18 PM, munoz said:

According to newspaper reports in the last couple of months, Naismith wants a permanent move back to Easter Rd.

He was doing some running on his own down at Ferguslie CC this afternoon.

1 hour ago, nedflanders123 said:

Shame we didn't hang onto Ross Stewart rather than sell him to Ross County. He's proved he can score goals at this level.

Stewart proved at County that he is one of the major cheating diving cnuts in Scottish Football.

We dinnae need his fecking sort at St Mirren Park. We are well rid of that fud.

FECKEM !!!

31 minutes ago, shull said:

Stewart proved at County that he is one of the major cheating diving cnuts in Scottish Football.

We dinnae need his fecking sort at St Mirren Park. We are well rid of that fud.

FECKEM !!!

Behave yourself,  it's not like you. :whistle

On 6/26/2020 at 12:03 PM, oaksoft said:

Morias gives the impression that he tries too hard.

If JG can get him to relax a bit there might still be a future for him here.

Afraid I disagree. I don't think Morais is good enough. We need to get at least one more decent striker in to play alongside Obika.

Not overly convinced on the Mitchell Rose signing either if it happens.

Edited by lenziebud

I go with the argument that you need probably at least 5 strikers (a) to cover for injuries and (B) to freshen things up if anyone isn't making the grade.
Please note that in the early part of the season, Goodwin was shoring up the defence which cut the strikers adrift... and Obika was well short of match fitness following months out.

1 minute ago, kevo_smfc said:

Is Shaughnessy the next defensive target following any potential deal for Gogic gone?

Gogic was going to be playing midfield. Going by Goodwin's comments in the media today, if anything Mitchell Rose is our alternative option to Gogic.