Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

12 minutes ago, RossCSmfc said:

For me, Obika is our most effective striker and played a very important part of our success this season. It would be madness to let him go at this stage. I expect Brophy to become our number one striker when he gets up to speed but I can't see him being involved in more goals than Obika does. Dennis is still a bit of an unknown quantity but has showed some promise in the last couple of games but I would definitely be concerned if we were going ahead without that option.

Exactly. I think some people miss or just don't understand what Obika brings to the team. 

10 minutes ago, munoz said:

Exactly. I think some people miss or just don't understand what Obika brings to the team. 

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate what he did for us in the last game of last season but, Obika saunters around middle to front without actually affecting anything. He very seldom wins a high ball and, recently, carries almost no goal threat so, in comparison to the newer lads and with the possibility of youth promotion and further newbies, IMO, he appears to be as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

2 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate what he did for us in the last game of last season but, Obika saunters around middle to front without actually affecting anything. He very seldom wins a high ball and, recently, carries almost no goal threat so, in comparison to the newer lads and with the possibility of youth promotion and further newbies, IMO, he appears to be as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

and age is not on his side. 

3 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

He held the ball up brilliantly against Celtic in the corner when we were in an extremely perilous position with them flooding players forward searching for the equaliser, also does an effective job winning the ball deep in the pitch even when he's the lone striker, wouldn't classify that as "sauntering from middle to front without affecting anything". He does that on a regular basis whereas we have other strikers that will hang about up front waiting on things to happen for them. Don't understand the "almost no goal threat either". He has the best goal/game ratio of any of our strikers apart from maybe Dennis but he hasn't played anywhere near enough to form a proper opinion on. My initial thoughts on Dennis FWIW is that he's a good penalty box striker that can make intelligent runs but again - not seen enough of him to warrant getting rid of a tried and trusted attacker like Obika. We need an Obika type if we are ever going to get anything out of Brophy. His link up play is better than a lot of people give him credit for.

1 minute ago, pod said:

and age is not on his side. 

He's 30, that's a good age for a striker. Certainly has another few years left in him, its not as if pace was ever one of his assets if that's what you're getting at?

24 minutes ago, RossCSmfc said:

He held the ball up brilliantly against Celtic in the corner when we were in an extremely perilous position with them flooding players forward searching for the equaliser, also does an effective job winning the ball deep in the pitch even when he's the lone striker, wouldn't classify that as "sauntering from middle to front without affecting anything". He does that on a regular basis whereas we have other strikers that will hang about up front waiting on things to happen for them. Don't understand the "almost no goal threat either". He has the best goal/game ratio of any of our strikers apart from maybe Dennis but he hasn't played anywhere near enough to form a proper opinion on. My initial thoughts on Dennis FWIW is that he's a good penalty box striker that can make intelligent runs but again - not seen enough of him to warrant getting rid of a tried and trusted attacker like Obika. We need an Obika type if we are ever going to get anything out of Brophy. His link up play is better than a lot of people give him credit for.

He's 30, that's a good age for a striker. Certainly has another few years left in him, its not as if pace was ever one of his assets if that's what you're getting at?

I think what is forgotten is that we took quite a punt on obika as most of last season at oxford utd he had a serious injury and would have been well short of match fitness on signing for us. 

37 minutes ago, RossCSmfc said:

Are you sure you were watching the same game? I can think of only one time he got the ball cleanly. The very last seconds and he ran at goal and took a shot. The very last kick of the game. Yes. Unusual for him, he did win a couple of headers without jumping but I can't think of a single incident where he "held the ball".

If you can, watch the game again and see how many times Obika is seen just casually going from side to side, or following a player with the ball with no intent to close him down.

As for his link up play. I would argue that the other players we have are more adept than he.

All I'm saying is we now have other options and the rumour is we are actively pursuing another striker and anticipating bringing through our home grown talent. This, again, IMO, means we won't need Jonathon.

Edited by stlucifer

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

Are you sure you were watching the same game? I can think of only one time he got the ball cleanly. The very last seconds and he ran at goal and took a shot. The very last kick of the game. Yes. Unusual for him, he did win a couple of headers without jumping but I can't think of a single incident where he "held the ball".

If you can, watch the game again and see how many times Obika is seen just casually going from side to side, or following a player with the ball with no intent to close him down.

As for his link up play. I would argue that the other players we have are more adept than he.

All I'm saying is we now have other options and the rumour is we are actively pursuing another striker and anticipating bring through our home grown talent. This, again, IMO, means we won't need Jonathon.

Thankfully the manager doesn't agree with your view of his performance on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, munoz said:

Thankfully the manager doesn't agree with your view of his performance on Saturday. 

A good manager never slates a player unnecessarily so I wouldn't take that as an endorsement. Did I miss where he said Jonathon was a standout? 

As I say. My opinion of what will happen at the end of the season is just that but AFAIC, It's telling that JG continues to bring in and seek to bring in players who play in JO's position.

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:

A good manager never slates a player unnecessarily so I wouldn't take that as an endorsement. Did I miss where he said Jonathon was a standout? 

As I say. My opinion of what will happen at the end of the season is just that but AFAIC, It's telling that JG continues to bring in and seek to bring in players who play in JO's position.

He praised both Jon and Eammon b saying that they came in to replace McAllister and Dennis and did exactly the same excellent job of harrying the Celtic defence as they did.

Jon played extremely well on Saturday. I'm not sure what game you were watching.

16 hours ago, oaksoft said:

He praised both Jon and Eammon b saying that they came in to replace McAllister and Dennis and did exactly the same excellent job of harrying the Celtic defence as they did.

Jon played extremely well on Saturday. I'm not sure what game you were watching.

Same game. Different opinion. That's what football is about. Not one player was a failure in the game. I felt Jonathon was one of the least effective in as much as tracking back to help. 

That's neither here nor there in the discussion about who'll be here at the start of next season. I think if Goodie really thought so much of JO he wouldn't have scoured the leagues looking for strikers such as Erwin, Dennis, Brophy and Quaner. AND he was rumoured to have been looking to add another in the window just closed. This suggests to me he's not confident in Obika.

Edited by stlucifer

1 minute ago, saint in exile said:

Not really. Cost Hearts £200K. We were never in the running at that level.

It was really. We had him on trial and the great Ian Murray didn't think he was better that Agnew or Howieson so didn't sign him after playing as a trialist against ICT.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the squad we are now definitely light in numbers owing to the recent injuries some long term hopefully Jim is looking at out of contract players who have just been released.In January we lost three and only brought in two.One player up for grabs is Ravel Morrison 28 year old attacking midfielder.Ravel started at Man U and has been at at few clubs most recently with Dutch club might be worth a try short term.

10 hours ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Looking at the squad we are now definitely light in numbers owing to the recent injuries some long term hopefully Jim is looking at out of contract players who have just been released.In January we lost three and only brought in two.One player up for grabs is Ravel Morrison 28 year old attacking midfielder.Ravel started at Man U and has been at at few clubs most recently with Dutch club might be worth a try short term.

Honestly, at this stage I think I would rather we looked to our younger players to see if they had anything about them. Otherwise, we may as well release them.

Honestly, at this stage I think I would rather we looked to our younger players to see if they had anything about them. Otherwise, we may as well release them.
Out of curiosity are we able to use youth players? I thought we couldn't as they are not getting tested? That is why we couldn't play games with the positive tests. Likes of Celtic can as they have a first team squad of like 40 players as they can afford it.

I agree. If it's possible, get them in or what's the point in them. This season there are a lot of side that are poor to test them against.

20 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Out of curiosity are we able to use youth players? I thought we couldn't as they are not getting tested? That is why we couldn't play games with the positive tests. Likes of Celtic can as they have a first team squad of like 40 players as they can afford it.

I agree. If it's possible, get them in or what's the point in them. This season there are a lot of side that are poor to test them against.

We recalled Jay Henderson (attacking mid) from Clyde and have Lewis Jamieson (centre forward) in the squad. Maybe time to give them a wee runout now and then particularly Jamieson.