Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

We had a 10+ Goal per season striker(probably as good as we will get at our level) who was absolutely awful in his first 6 months but we just released him.

Under Goodwin we have now played over 10 different strikers let's just say not many have been that good.

If you are referring to Obika, then no, we didn't.

Jonathan Obika | Football Stats | Morecambe | Season 2020/2021 | Soccer Base

21 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
51 minutes ago, FTOF said:
If you are referring to Obika, then no, we didn't.
Jonathan Obika | Football Stats | Morecambe | Season 2020/2021 | Soccer Base

Going by the link you shared he scored 20 goals in 2 seasons (57 appearances) so thank you for clarifying that I was right.

He did indeed score 20 goals . 12 first season 8 in second when he ( probably) didn’t play as many minutes so yes, a 10 goal a season player . 

From the St.Mirren site . 

312D21C7-2431-4589-A751-CBEFDCCA8DDD.png

2 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

He did indeed score 20 goals . 12 first season 8 in second when he ( probably) didn’t play as many minutes so yes, a 10 goal a season player . 

From the St.Mirren site . 

312D21C7-2431-4589-A751-CBEFDCCA8DDD.png

I was assuming that it was 10+ each season.

Not an average.

Silly me.:rolleyes:

We had a 10+ Goal per season striker(probably as good as we will get at our level) who was absolutely awful in his first 6 months but we just released him.

Under Goodwin we have now played over 10 different strikers let's just say not many have been that good.

League goals in two seasons was 13. So averages at 6.5 goals a season in the league.

36 minutes ago, alansaint said:

League goals in two seasons was 13. So averages at 6.5 goals a season in the league.

The previous poster never said 10+ goals a season in a the league just said 10+ goal per season. The article about McGrath calls him a 17 goals scored midfielder not a 17 league goals scored midfielder moot point to be honest in your post. 

The previous poster never said 10+ goals a season in a the league just said 10+ goal per season. The article about McGrath calls him a 17 goals scored midfielder not a 17 league goals scored midfielder moot point to be honest in your post. 
Correct Clydebank he was a 10+ goals per season striker he will go down in Scottish Football History and as a St Mirren legend for relegating Hearts as the person who scored the last goal in Scottish football as Covid took sport off the world map for over a year.

He also had 8 more matches to add to his tally which I'm pretty sure he would have.

I don’t really care what the previous poster said to be honest, but league goals are how top flight strikers should be judged as heightening goals per season record when playing against lower league oppo gives a false impression. By the way, not having a go at obika. We have a lot to thank him for, but we haven’t had a 10+ league goals a season player on the top flight since thommo and obika was not the long term answer. Most teams outside the top two don’t generally have a 10+ goals a season player.

Just speculation I know, but what's the general feeling about the likelihood of Jamie McGrath still being a St Mirren player until January or beyond ? I'm just wondering if Jim Goodwin is planning for the season ahead with McGrath as a key part of his midfield or is he already accepting that he'll possibly be offski (presumably to Hibski like so many others)? Pre-season work could be bolloxed if McGrath goes without us having a robust Plan B in place.

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Just speculation I know, but what's the general feeling about the likelihood of Jamie McGrath still being a St Mirren player until January or beyond ? I'm just wondering if Jim Goodwin is planning for the season ahead with McGrath as a key part of his midfield or is he already accepting that he'll possibly be offski (presumably to Hibski like so many others)? Pre-season work could be bolloxed if McGrath goes without us having a robust Plan B in place.

Hibs couldnie afford him.

I think we're in a situation where McGrath is in no rush to leave , but won't be signing a new contract. Pretty sure if we get a half decent offer for him , and McGrath wants to talk to that club , then he'll be off . JG has previous in this type of situ with P McGinn and Magennis . 

5 hours ago, alansaint said:

I don’t really care what the previous poster said to be honest, but league goals are how top flight strikers should be judged as heightening goals per season record when playing against lower league oppo gives a false impression. By the way, not having a go at obika. We have a lot to thank him for, but we haven’t had a 10+ league goals a season player on the top flight since thommo and obika was not the long term answer. Most teams outside the top two don’t generally have a 10+ goals a season player.

Well they arent just judged on league goals, goalscorers are just pure and simply judged on scoring goals and get paid to do just that irrespective of who its against. Clearly you did care what was previously said to try and correct something that wasnt said. Your right most teams dont have players to get 10+ goals a season we’ve had Obika and last season McGrath so we are a tad fortunate. This season hopefully will be the turn of Dennis or McGrath again should we keep hold of him. 

Well they arent just judged on league goals, goalscorers are just pure and simply judged on scoring goals and get paid to do just that irrespective of who its against. Clearly you did care what was previously said to try and correct something that wasnt said. Your right most teams dont have players to get 10+ goals a season we’ve had Obika and last season McGrath so we are a tad fortunate. This season hopefully will be the turn of Dennis or McGrath again should we keep hold of him. 
Well things are looking good for Brophy and Dennis. 3 goals each and the League hasn't even started!