Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

12 minutes ago, mattman said:

McCarthy 200k are they aff their nut? If that’s what we’re valuing our key players then we’d be better off just chucking it the noo!

AB9936BD-D2EB-4DD4-99E1-69873248AF26.jpeg

Looks like figures plucked from sky. 

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Who said the club is valuing them at these figures? They seem made up to me.

The way it’s been worded “up for grabs for 200k” makes it seem that way, also grieve is pretty much spot on with st mirren related stuff. I’d hope the club aren’t that daft, IMO I think he’ll go further than McGrath in his career. 

Edited by mattman

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Who said the club is valuing them at these figures? They seem made up to me.

I would say they're probably quite close to what we would accept. Both out of contract next year , McCarthy IMO unlikely to be a starter in every game. If we could get to a million for the pair I would go with that !

2 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Would be looking for double whats been offered and a decent sell on . Won't be surprised if a team comes in for both . I think we have to let players go if the right bid comes as that encourages others to sign , knowing that they won't be held back if a decent bid comes. Must be others in Ireland keeping an eye on Mccarthy and McGrath,s progress thinking they might fancy a spell at Saints .

1 minute ago, norrie82 said:

200k so much for our vice chairman saying the days of losing players on the cheap are gone. What a joke 200k - you wouldn’t get a decent centre half for 200k anywhere else. 

Speculation. We have had no official comment from the club

12 hours ago, mattman said:

The way it’s been worded “up for grabs for 200k” makes it seem that way, also grieve is pretty much spot on with st mirren related stuff. I’d hope the club aren’t that daft, IMO I think he’ll go further than McGrath in his career. 

Why would that sort of info be made available to a reporter. Surely its just a ball park figure plucked from a guestimation.

10 hours ago, norrie82 said:

200k so much for our vice chairman saying the days of losing players on the cheap are gone. What a joke 200k - you wouldn’t get a decent centre half for 200k anywhere else. 

There is no direct quote from anyone connected to the club and if there was i wouldnt expect them A. to use a phrase such as up for grabs B. Make it public knowledge as we then maximise what we can get as no one would go beyond that. 

6 minutes ago, Clydebanksaint said:

There is no direct quote from anyone connected to the club and if there was i wouldnt expect them A. to use a phrase such as up for grabs B. Make it public knowledge as we then maximise what we can get as no one would go beyond that. 

But Grieve is a St Mirren fan and is usually close to the truth when it involves players coming or going !

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

If Robert Grieve has quoted the figure of 200k, that figure has came from someone at the club. Perhaps McCarthy has asked the club to consider offers?

Here's someone actually from the club .

Goodwin stressed that St Mirren's valuation of McGrath was short of £1m and that they were "quite realistic about the situation".

2 minutes ago, mattman said:

Didn’t that same person from the club say last season we where not selling Magennis, then like 2 days later Magennis was sold ? 

Yes.

I suppose it's possible that manager knows less about the club's valuation of a player than someone who leaked the info to a journalist.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Yes.

I suppose it's possible that manager knows less about the club's valuation of a player than someone who leaked the info to a journalist.

Maybe Goodwin is correct and others at the club have been selling the players at car boot sales.

He is 100% correct on his comments on our previous history of not cashing in on our players appropriately