Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

10 hours ago, FTOF said:

Two bob outfits don't attract bids from several clubs that could potentially make profits of £500K + on players scouted then signed for peanuts.:wink:

"the days of St.mirren selling players for 100 or 200k are over" quote from Vice Chairman Gillespie  prior to Hamilton away in Scottish cup in April. Now in August it seems that we will sell a top centre half for just that. Sorry mate but I am not convinced.

12 hours ago, Brilliant Disguise said:

Maybe Goodwin is correct and others at the club have been selling the players at car boot sales.

He is 100% correct on his comments on our previous history of not cashing in on our players appropriately. 

It's been a mixed bag IMO.

Goodwin cites McGinn as an example. I'm incredibly grateful in this case that we opted for a huge sell on percentage as opposed to a bigger fee. Given the huge amount money that has been generated, WGAF what the transfer fee was?

McLean went for less than he should have, but wasn't there some agreement that if he signed an extension he could leave if a club matched a certain, albeit on the face of it a very low sum IMO?

I thought we did well out of McAllister, given his injury problems.

Might have wanted a wee bit more for Morgan, but he was into the last six months of his contract.

I also thought we did well with O'Brien and MacNamee, given their eventual career trajectories.

I'm not going to bother delving into 80's transfers as that's ancient history.:whistle

Feel free to point out any others that I've neglected to mention due to old age.:)

14 minutes ago, elvis said:

I don't think there is one person on here  other than yourself who knows we are going to be selling players dirt cheap .Take it you are in the know ?.

Think we are doing a good job of highlighting the fact that the players are available at the right price . Just need a few more teams interested to get the right price up .

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

It's been a mixed bag IMO.

Goodwin cites McGinn as an example. I'm incredibly grateful in this case that we opted for a huge sell on percentage as opposed to a bigger fee. Given the huge amount money that has been generated, WGAF what the transfer fee was?

McLean went for less than he should have, but wasn't there some agreement that if he signed an extension he could leave if a club matched a certain, albeit on the face of it a very low sum IMO?

I thought we did well out of McAllister, given his injury problems.

Might have wanted a wee bit more for Morgan, but he was into the last six months of his contract.

I also thought we did well with O'Brien and MacNamee, given their eventual career trajectories.

I'm not going to bother delving into 80's transfers as that's ancient history.:whistle

Feel free to point out any others that I've neglected to mention due to old age.:)

If Saints get anything over half a million for McGrath bite somebody's hand off for it. Erhahon anything over two hundred and fifty thousand and same for McCarthy...

28 minutes ago, Clydebanksaint said:

I reckon McGrath will go for 500k plus add ons. Ethan not leaving in this window. McCarthy will go for around 300k plus add ons. That is still on the low side as I personally think he will go on to bigger and better things than McGrath. 

I think that's how it will pan out . No hurry to sell Ethan , his time will come . 

Just now, Clydebanksaint said:

Ethan is going no where in this window and will get better for having the likes of power beside him

To play the two of them in same team would be the most negative set up ever...

To play the two of them in same team would be the most negative set up ever...
Of course it would and manager admitted that more than once he sent team out to "not to lose rather than win", including by looks of it our 3 massive games last season.

😂

Power is not a deep sitting holding midfielder. You could actually have worked that out by watching the few games that he's played for us so far. According to Killie fans (see below) he was played alongside Gary Dicker, who was the holding midfielder in the Killie team, when Killie had their best seasons. 

We need to develop Erhahon into a deeper sitting holding midfielder, allowing Power to be winning the ball in the opponent's half.

Power will be really, really good for you if paired with someone tasked with sitting in front of the defence, allowing him to go charging about winning the ball back. If he's played beside someone who isn't disciplined though you'll find yourself without a centre midfield quite regularly. 

He was our man of the match just about every week when he was in there with Dicker (when Dicker was any good). 

He's very much an aggressive, hard tackling number 8 and not so much a disciplined 6.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

😂

Power is not a deep sitting holding midfielder. You could actually have worked that out by watching the few games that he's played for us so far. According to Killie fans (see below) he was played alongside Gary Dicker, who was the holding midfielder in the Killie team, when Killie had their best seasons. 

We need to develop Erhahon into a deeper sitting holding midfielder, allowing Power to be winning the ball in the opponent's half.

A deeper sitting? U cannot be serious...he hardly crosses the halfway line just now. If he sits any deeper he will be in the stand...

3 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Not really a winger but I see Greg Stewart is still available, would definitely take him.

Didn't you mention we had inquired about him and that his wages were too rich for us?

Edited by FTOF