Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

10 hours ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Aiden Fitzpatrick ? 

It was in the news weeks ago that The Fakes were running the rule over Aiden Fitzpatrick.

Aidan Fitzpatrick training with St Johnstone after Norwich City exit - Not The Old Firm

Given that they currently have O'Halloran and Middleton, it would seem unlikely that they'll be after another wide player.

Edited by FTOF

I was the 1st on here that said McAllister was coming back and the 1st that mentioned Alnwick, amongst other things... so stir that in your coffee bud...
You were also the first on here to say that it was good that God gave babies cancer, but let's not make this a competition.

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

I was the 1st on here that said McAllister was coming back and the 1st that mentioned Alnwick, amongst other things... so stir that in your coffee bud...

U r a walloper!

Watch a fair bit of A league and he's a good player. Definitely more of a winger/wing back, gets forward often

Seems nailed on that we'll be playing 3 at the back with wing backs

Only thing that concerns me is that we'll have to commit to that formation and hope it works (& other teams will know that)

2 hours ago, Doakes said:

Watch a fair bit of A league and he's a good player. Definitely more of a winger/wing back, gets forward often

Only thing that concerns me is that we'll have to commit to that formation and hope it works (& other teams will know that)

Just now, Mid Calder Saint said:

St Johnstone played with three centre backs and two wing backs all season and won two major trophies 

Yeah and Livi had a certain style of play that worked well for them too, so can see the advantage to sticking with 1 system. Doesn't give us much room to change formation if we get a few injuries etc. Relying very heavily on wing backs

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

Yeah and Livi had a certain style of play that worked well for them too, so can see the advantage to sticking with 1 system. Doesn't give us much room to change formation if we get a few injuries etc. Relying very heavily on wing backs

We could still play a back 4 with Tait at LB and Marcus at RB and Kyle or Henderson at right side of midfield.

4 hours ago, Doakes said:

Hopefully that could adapt to a 442 if required . 

If the rumours are true and we are signing Matt Millar this is a step in the right direction if we are set to play 3-5-2 system. 

What I know about Millar is he can play right back but seems more natural at getting forward like a right wing back. He might not be incredibly creative but has pace, which we really need, he seems to be able to get forward and can cross a ball in. He seems to have a good engine as well to continually get forward and back. Likes to get forward like Tanser does, so would hope this balance the side out and gets us what we have needed (pace), but fits the system we are playing now. 

My take on it, but last season was pretty good finish, but this was playing with what was a soild 4 at the back formation. I like the signing for people that can play multiple positions as should then allow for th eformation to change depending if at home or away or depending on the other teams set up. Early days yet to see if this will happen as we continue with 3-5-2 no matter what. 

What we lost from last season and have found replacements for:
LWB - Mason = Tanser
CM Doyle-Hayes = Ronan
ST - Obika = Main
CDM - Sheron/Foley = Power

Lost and potentially signing a replacement to fit the system:
RM - Connolly = Matthew Millar (RWB/RB)

Potentially going & replacement:
CAM - McGrath = Kiltie

Players we are yet to replace:
Durmas
Quaner/Morias

We then needed maybe 2 more in to build on last season's form, but to either fit this system or to allow the ability to change it up.
Needs not met:
* Pace/Creativity - LWB/LM/LW
* either/or Tall/Strong/Fast Striker

What we could look like if Millar comes in (Starter / Backups)
3-5-2
GK - Alnwick / Lyness / Urminský
RCB - Fraser / Finlayson
CCB - Shaughnessy / McCarthy
LCB - Dunne / 
RWB - Millar / Henderson
LWB - Tanser / Tait
CDM - Power / Erhahon / Reid
CM - Ronan / Flynn
CAM - McGrath / Kiltie / McAllister
ST - Brophy / Dennis
ST - Main / Erwin