Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

14 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Main and Erwin have both made substantially more appearances and scored far more goals over the last 4 years yet not deemed good enough. And both are younger (Isma is 31 in June).

Maybe the Japanese 3rd Div is better than I am giving it credit for.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

As many have said, and I agree, Main looked like a player reborn in the final games of the season. Isma is a hero here and rightly so but not for me. Not that I am suggesting it but if Ex Hibs, Celtic, Dundee and Scotland striker Leigh Griffiths could sort himself out!!!

5 hours ago, Sonny said:

Naw. Only played 40 games in last 4 years and that was in the Japanese 3rd division, Iran, Bangladesh and Indian Premier Leagues. Scored 8 goals in those 4 years. Let's just keep the happy memories.

Glad we haven't resigned him but he must have a great agent who can get him a 2 yr deal considering where he been playing (sometimes) in the 1st 4 yrs. 

4 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Livi confirmed the transfer today. If he’s deemed good enough by that Livi squad by Martindale, I’d have had him in a shot. Martindale knows how to put together a strong team at this level. 

And don’t forget that, not so long ago, he signed (and made money on) a lower league tattooed player called Dykes.

43 minutes ago, antrin said:

And don’t forget that, not so long ago, he signed (and made money on) a lower league tattooed player called Dykes.

He might be many things but for sure he has an eye for a player, an understanding of the game and the ability to motivate players to get results.

True. But unlike Isma Dykes was only 23 and had scored 43 goals in his previous 4 years of almost continuous appearances with his clubs. His career was on an upward projectory. Isma's isn't.

Who knows it may work out but Martindale has also signed loads of wallopers.

18 minutes ago, Sonny said:

True. But unlike Isma Dykes was only 23 and had scored 43 goals in his previous 4 years of almost continuous appearances with his clubs. His career was on an upward projectory. Isma's isn't.

Who knows it may work out but Martindale has also signed loads of wallopers.

I was it comparing Dykes with Isma - simply underlining that  Martindale has an eye for a player.

Isma for me, despite his historic goal scoring, always seemed half-hearted and lazy.  He got lucky in that short period.

1 hour ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Has their been anymore chat in others we have been linked with?
Reece McAlear, Matt Butcher or Reghan Tumilty? I know the 1st two will be contracted to English clubs, so not available yet I guess as contracts not ended, but Tumilty was at Raith wasn't he?

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

The EFL have decided to fall into line with the Premier league concerning transfer window. Any transfer business can only start on the 10th June so any players we might sign from England won't be made public until then.

The EFL have decided to fall into line with the Premier league concerning transfer window. Any transfer business can only start on the 10th June so any players we might sign from England won't be made public until then.

Awesome thanks for this. One I missed off was Cameron Norman as well. Seemed keen, but went quite and I know he is contracted to summer 2023 too, so would cost.

2 hours ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Reece McAlear, Matt Butcher or Reghan Tumilty? I know the 1st two will be contracted to English clubs, so not available yet I guess as contracts not ended, but Tumilty was at Raith wasn't he?

Correct on Tumilty

3 hours ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

It's already been confirmed that McAleer is being released by Norwich in the summer.

10 hours ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Played well for ICT the first leg v the fakes

He played well in the second half of the first leg after they changed formation. Other than that, i felt he didnt really stand out in the play off games. If its a choice between him or Mallan its a no brainer.

Heard Gogic cannot agree terms and has better offers, ball in his court.
That's a shame. Once Power wasn't playing next to him he seemed to really show how good he was. I wonder what the terms are that we can't sort, but could offer McGrath the best contract in saints history.

7 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

That's a shame. Once Power wasn't playing next to him he seemed to really show how good he was. I wonder what the terms are that we can't sort, but could offer McGrath the best contract in saints history.

I guess that he will be looking to match or better his income at Hibs. For us , that would make him expensive. I would like him to sign if possible. Jim G had tried but lost out at the time. 

Heard Gogic cannot agree terms and has better offers, ball in his court.
We pay the second lowest salaries in the League. Even Ross County were paying £7k more pa 2 years ago and Hibs are paying 2.5 times what we pay. No surprise Gogic has better offers.

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

We pay the second lowest salaries in the League. Even Ross County were paying £7k more pa 2 years ago and Hibs are paying 2.5 times what we pay. No surprise Gogic has better offers.

and will only get worse, if some get their way.

and will only get worse, if some get their way.
Was it a bit sort sighted of us making the away end at the new stadium smaller? Could we have not make it bigger to maximize the money we could make off the OF teams, since it seems so important and the fact they come out and say with giving them the family stand is the difference in 2 additional players wages?
If it was made bigger to house more of them, it wouldn't cost more to run on days other supporters are there, would it? As you would close most if it down and corner bits off no matter the division you are in, meaning needing less catering staff, stewards and police, no?
Would the next thing to look at not be to see if we could fill in the corners or what work would be needed to make it bigger? Look into the costs initially for that and how to raise the funds for that to make the most out of them coming to town and keeping your families happy too?

14 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Was it a bit sort sighted of us making the away end at the new stadium smaller? Could we have not make it bigger to maximize the money we could make off the OF teams, since it seems so important and the fact they come out and say with giving them the family stand is the difference in 2 additional players wages?
If it was made bigger to house more of them, it wouldn't cost more to run on days other supporters are there, would it? As you would close most if it down and corner bits off no matter the division you are in, meaning needing less catering staff, stewards and police, no?
Would the next thing to look at not be to see if we could fill in the corners or what work would be needed to make it bigger? Look into the costs initially for that and how to raise the funds for that to make the most out of them coming to town and keeping your families happy too?

This is insanely rational, practical and sensible.

It would never be allowed to work…

Where’s baz when you need him?  :unsure:

This is insanely rational, practical and sensible.
It would never be allowed to work…

Where’s baz when you need him?  default_unsure.png
Thanks. Instead of the survey they could come out and say short term they get the family stand to allow for better quality players, that keeps us in a division that allows us to maximize profits/cash generated from the OF teams.
3/5 years time we want to have enough money to either fill in the corners or if I remember the design of the new stadium was to allow expansion easily for the stand. This would allow more space to fit them all in 1 stand.

Also to add we talked for years always budgeting for 10th in the top flight. If that's the case we were always thinking of at least 3 rangers and Celtic games a season (not including meeting in the cups), so why make the away stand small and generate less cash?

1 hour ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

For a new build our stadium is poorly designed Corners should have been filled from the start West and Main stands should have been built in 3 sections each with its own toilets and catering facility The stands behind the goals the same but 2 sections Finally the stands should have been elevated rather than the first row of seats being at ground level

1 hour ago, HSS said:

For a new build our stadium is poorly designed Corners should have been filled from the start West and Main stands should have been built in 3 sections each with its own toilets and catering facility The stands behind the goals the same but 2 sections Finally the stands should have been elevated rather than the first row of seats being at ground level

I think the problem we had with the build was that it was done to a Tesco Value rather than Finest budget.

IIRC the club had to push hard just to get 4 stands. I’d have hated it if we had ended up with a 2 or 3 sided stadium. 

I really don’t see the demand for increasing the capacity.

Edited by SuperSaints1877