Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

1 minute ago, HSS said:

Our first home game after taking roughly 30k fans to Hampden in 87 was v Dunfermline and there was a crowd of 4762

First game after taking 15k to Hampden in 2013 was v sellic so can’t really compare Our next game was Dundee Utd with a crowd of 3394

We have a hard core support of 3,500 to 4,500 . The first task surely is to keep us coming back. Winning home games might only be worth 3 points but a winning run at home works wonders for morale. Kids and families are what we need to attract and persuade to commit to the club. Not pointing any fingers here but we could do with a few more mature fans coming back to the stadium too. 

5 hours ago, Rascal said:

We have a hard core support of 3,500 to 4,500 . The first task surely is to keep us coming back. Winning home games might only be worth 3 points but a winning run at home works wonders for morale. Kids and families are what we need to attract and persuade to commit to the club. Not pointing any fingers here but we could do with a few more mature fans coming back to the stadium too. 

I see one of the immature ones responded.  :)

15 hours ago, Rascal said:

To me it's the price of getting into games plus if we could actually win games at home would be a big help.my son went to a top flight game in Portugal a ticket cost him £5 the same day I was sitting in our ground watching us lose again for the price of £12 but most paid £22. And it's going up again to £25 I believe that's not going to help get bums on seats if anything it will drive people away.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/4371225/st-mirren-slap-350000-price-tag-on-aberdeen-signing-target-charles-dunne/

I would hope if Dunne is off then we are looking to get 2 Centre Backs in. I like Dunne's pace as it has got him and us out of trouble a couple times, but his long diagonal passes up the park are shite.
If I was a Dons fan I would be worried on the quality Jim is going for as they have a higher expectation of aiming for 3rd and with their budget too they want better quality as well.
I would hope Robo can find and bring in players like Kipre and Mugabi that he brought into Motherwell. 2 big strong and quick decent no nonsense defenders.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/4371225/st-mirren-slap-350000-price-tag-on-aberdeen-signing-target-charles-dunne/

I would hope if Dunne is off then we are looking to get 2 Centre Backs in. I like Dunne's pace as it has got him and us out of trouble a couple times, but his long diagonal passes up the park are shite.
If I was a Dons fan I would be worried on the quality Jim is going for as they have a higher expectation of aiming for 3rd and with their budget too they want better quality as well.
I would hope Robo can find and bring in players like Kipre and Mugabi that he brought into Motherwell. 2 big strong and quick decent no nonsense defenders.

£350k  !!!     Really ??   For that money I’ll drive him up there and buy him lunch on the way .  
Decent player when fit but can be a bomb scare at times . 

1 hour ago, elvis said:

To me it's the price of getting into games plus if we could actually win games at home would be a big help.my son went to a top flight game in Portugal a ticket cost him £5 the same day I was sitting in our ground watching us lose again for the price of £12 but most paid £22. And it's going up again to £25 I believe that's not going to help get bums on seats if anything it will drive people away.

Price is an issue for many Elvis, I agree. Winning home games is not a right for any team but it makes a difference to how people feel about parting with their cash. I looked at the prices for Ireland v Scotland in Dublin next week and it looks like they start at 90 Euros.

Price is an issue for many Elvis, I agree. Winning home games is not a right for any team but it makes a difference to how people feel about parting with their cash. I looked at the prices for Ireland v Scotland in Dublin next week and it looks like they start at 90 Euros.

It's not a game for everyone these days start at 90 euros.

£350k  !!!     Really ??   For that money I’ll drive him up there and buy him lunch on the way .  
Decent player when fit but can be a bomb scare at times . 
Totally. I would hope that he could find someone maybe lower leagues in England who could replace him and someone to take the place of McCarthy too.

On 6/2/2022 at 10:38 AM, SuperSaints1877 said:

I think the problem we had with the build was that it was done to a Tesco Value rather than Finest budget.

IIRC the club had to push hard just to get 4 stands. I’d have hated it if we had ended up with a 2 or 3 sided stadium. 

I really don’t see the demand for increasing the capacity.

A 2 stand/10k capacity would have been fine with other facilities behind the goals 

the three sided grounds in Falkirk and Hamilton provide a good atmosphere when we’ll fillers 

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

A 2 stand/10k capacity would have been fine with other facilities behind the goals 

the three sided grounds in Falkirk and Hamilton provide a good atmosphere when we’ll fillers 

Out of interest. Who would have paid for these other facilities?

When we sold Love St to clear the debts we had a very limited budget to work with and I personally think we got a good modern stadium that meets our capacity needs. Even when we were promoted we never sold every seat.

It’s all opinions. I personally hate Falkirk and Hamilton grounds with their plastic pitches to boot.

Celtic released Luca Connell. 

I'd take him in a heartbeat. He had broken into the Bolton first team in the championship at 18 and for some bizarre reason, Celtic just wouldn't give him minutes. He's been excellent for Queens Park this season. Far too good for league 1 level.

7 hours ago, elvis said:

Since most, if not all other teams home fans pay at least that amount in walk up price, why would our home support go down and not the other teams home fans ?

We have been the lowest price for years and at the end of the day, it is only an other £3 every 2nd week. 

I agree the cost is expensive but we will still be 1 of the cheapest ground in the top league to get into. 

Certainly more wins at home would be enjoyable.

5 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

€90 for what is effectively the B&Q Cup of international football is a f**king joke .

Taking the piss and driving fans away 👎

Certainly taking the piss, but i still reckon it will be a sell out, or close to it.

2 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Out of interest. Who would have paid for these other facilities?

When we sold Love St to clear the debts we had a very limited budget to work with and I personally think we got a good modern stadium that meets our capacity needs. Even when we were promoted we never sold every seat.

It’s all opinions. I personally hate Falkirk and Hamilton grounds with their plastic pitches to boot.

Building 2 stands would have been the same or similar cost to the 4 we have and money was found pretty quickly for the dome and Ralsto

of course the additional facilities would have taken time to finance and could have been investment opportunities 

I think the atmosphere would have been better with all the fans including opposition in 2 stands

just my opinion and it wouldn’t have been my job to deliver

my recollection is that the 2 stand option was considered at the time because of what it potentially offered for the future but those fans who were consulted wanted nothing less than 4 stands

9 hours ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

How was his Motherwell budget compared to now. Remembering we may have cut our income.