Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

I thought McGinn looked tired towards the tail of the season. A good rest and a change of club will probably see him recapture his previous good form. He's not on the downslope of his career yet.

42 minutes ago, munoz said:

I thought McGinn looked tired towards the tail of the season. A good rest and a change of club will probably see him recapture his previous good form. He's not on the downslope of his career yet.

Villa certainly tailed off in the last quarter, McGinn lost some form in that time. 

I agree a wee rest, even if he's not with another team  will see him regain the form he showed for most of the season.

Edited by faraway saint

6 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I think his displays against ROI & Ukraine wiped £20 mill off his value 🙄😂

You have a point CG.  He didn’t add to his value in the games he played that’s for sure. I don’t watch English football (I have no skin in the game)so didn’t see any of his AV performances.

He wasn’t the only one though. Robertson had been in great form but neither he nor McGinn were able to bring it to the table over the past 2/3 games.

I like the fact that estimates on here range from a low of £30m to my high side north of £60m.

But, what do I know? Not a lot clearly as I thought that Celtic were fortunate to get what they did for Van D who was then sold on to Liverpool for what £75m?

If JMCG is sold for Any of these figures it would add significant money to our coffers.

34 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

He's also at an age where clubs will want him on a 4 year contract and at 27 is heading into his peak years .  How do we get money though if he went to his first. 

Because the agreement Hibs made with us is that we get a 30% sell on of any transfer fee Hibs get for McGinn. We already made significant money when he went to Villa and another hefty sum when they went up, so we do get a cut of any clauses as well.

It turns out Hibs negotiated in turn a 15% sell on for any profit made on McGinn which means they are obligated to give us almost a third of their 15% sell on. Hibs chairman confirmed as much at their AGM 2 seasons ago.

In addition to this, there is 5% set aside in every transfer in world football for a solidarity fee to be paid to clubs that train a player up and the cut increases as the player develops.

In our case, we trained John from 13 (when the fees start to kick in) until 20 and are due 3.5% of any future transfer fee involving him. Hibs trained him from 21-23 and so are due 1.5%.

So for example, based on say, a £30m transfer, the money would be broken down as follows:

• £30m transfer less £3m Villa paid = £27m profit.
  • Hibs take a 15% cut of that £27m = £4.05m
  • Hibs pass 30% of that to SMFC = £1.21m
  • 5% of the 30m transfer is also set aside = £1.5m
  • Hibs get 1.5% of that 5% = £450k
  • We get 3.5% of the 5% = £1.05m
  • Hibs make £3.3m in sell on and developmental fee
  • St. Mirren make £2.25m in sell on and developmental fee

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Because the agreement Hibs made with us is that we get a 30% sell on of any transfer fee Hibs get for McGinn.

It turns out Hibs negotiated in turn a 15% sell on for any profit made on McGinn which means they are obliged to give us almost a third of their 15% sell on. Hibs chairman confirmed as much at their AGM 2 seasons ago.

In addition to this, there is 5% set aside in every transfer in world football for a solidarity fee to be paid to clubs that train a player up and the cut increases as the player develops.

In our case, we trained John from 13 (when the fees start to kick in) until 20 and are due 3.5% of any future transfer fee involving him. Hibs trained him from 21-23 and so are due 1.5%.

So for example, based on say, a £30m transfer, the money would be broken down as follows:

Wasn't aware of all that - appreciate the very thorough explanation 👍👍

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Because the agreement Hibs made with us is that we get a 30% sell on of any transfer fee Hibs get for McGinn.

It turns out Hibs negotiated in turn a 15% sell on for any profit made on McGinn which means they are obliged to give us almost a third of their 15% sell on. Hibs chairman confirmed as much at their AGM 2 seasons ago.

Thanks for the explanation that's not too shabby! If he moves I hope we use the money on wisely to ride out this recession and not have any ticket price increases next year. 

13 hours ago, exiledfan said:

He's also at an age where clubs will want him on a 4 year contract and at 27 is heading into his peak years .  How do we get money though if he went to his first. 

I think now is the right time for Villa to sell McGinn before he hits the final year of his contract and is tempted to play it out . 

He looked jaded towards the end of last season , but he did play loads of games , these guys didn't get much rest pre season last year with the Euros do I think clubs will take that into consideration. 

He will get a decent rest during the World Cup . So will be a very good signing for a club aspiring to be top six next season .