Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Having watched our friendly disaster on Wednesday then witnessed a really poor showing yesterday, I would make these comments on the new players as it relates to their efforts so far. I'm not saying that this is what they will always be like, as hopefully they will improve with good coaching, but these are my current opinions:

Carson - Not as good as Alnwick from what I've seen. Not commanding in his box and seems nervous at corners / cross balls. Wednesday was a good example of the chaos that ensued.

Gallagher - ok, but he has a tendency to try and weave or jink his way out of trouble. He will get caught by sharp Premier Division opponents and he will get found out if that continues. He needs to sharpen up his passing out of defence also.

O'Hara - So far the best of the bunch, but got dragged down yesterday to an ok standard. Looks as though he could add to the team, given the right support in the middle of the field.

Olusanya - Fast but forgets to take the ball with him(!) He shows that he can be occasionally tricky but it's almost as if he is acting faster than his brain and gets the ball taken from him relatively easily. Also goes to ground a little to easily as well.

Ayunga - He is a bit of a handful at times and has the ability to beat players, but then tries too hard to take them all on. He needs to just slow down that little bit, look up and pick a pass. Also cut out the petulance - it will only get himself booked.

As I've said elsewhere we desperately need to find a goal scorer, Grieve has the ability, but the support isn't there in abundance and the weight on his shoulders might eventually weigh him down. Finding someone who can give you a season or two, scoring 12 to 15 goals a season shouldn't be impossible, finding two is a dream which I think is beyond us! :(

Edited by The Original 59er
spelling!

1 hour ago, The Original 59er said:

Having watched our friendly disaster on Wednesday then witnessed a really poor showing yesterday, I would make these comments on the new players as it relates to their efforts so far. I'm not saying that this is what they will always be like, as hopefully they will improve with good coaching, but these are my current opinions:

Carson - Not as good as Alnwick from what I've seen. Not commanding in his box and seems nervous at corners / cross balls. Wednesday was a good example of the chaos that ensued.

Gallagher - ok, but he has a tendency to try and weave or jink his way out of trouble. He will get caught by sharp Premier Division opponents and he will get found out if that continues. He needs to sharpen up his passing out of defence also.

O'Hara - So far the best of the bunch, but got dragged down yesterday to an ok standard. Looks as though he could add to the team, given the right support in the middle of the field.

Olusanya - Fast but forgets to take the ball with him(!) He shows that he can be occasionally tricky but it's almost as if he is acting faster than his brain and gets the ball taken from him relatively easily. Also goes to ground a little to easily as well.

Ayunga - He is a bit of a handful at times and has the ability to beat players, but then tries too hard to take them all on. He needs to just slow down that little bit, look up and pick a pass. Also cut out the petulance - it will only get himself booked.

As I've said elsewhere we desperately need to find a goal scorer, Grieve has the ability, but the support isn't there in abundance and the weight on his shoulders might eventually weigh him down. Finding someone who can give you a season or two, scoring 12 to 15 goals a season shouldn't be impossible, finding two is a dream which I think is beyond us! :(

Very decent summary.

2 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

Pretty much spot on

18 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

I echo these comments, myself and another couple of posters said broadly the same.    

On Carson, it was difficult for me to judge as it was the first time I’ve seen him in action for us but I agree he doesn’t seem as commanding or confident with cross balls as Alnwick . Also , he does look a wee bit on the smaller side, well at least when he stood beside Urminsky . 

On 7/9/2022 at 11:48 PM, billyg said:

Looks like we've accepted their offer , whatever it is , but that might not be a bad move. I'm not sure if he would want to go there and someone else will surely put in a better offer , and with add-ons we'll make much more from him that way than we would by letting his contract expire and us getting a development fee with no add-ons ! One way or other , he's not going to play much for the first team !

This is a fair assessment of the situation. In a perfect scenario, he would have been ready to claim a place in the starting lineup, though I guess he would need to wait his chance. Very few come through at his age and stake a regular place in the starting lineup. Probably have to go as far back as John McGinn, who never done so until he was approaching his 18th birthday. Dylan is out of contract next summer and I am sure he would move on next summer if it wasn't this summer, as interest seems high.

I'd imagine for an offer of £125k, there must be a decent sell-on fee for us.

5 hours ago, kevo_smfc said:

Dylan is out of contract next summer and I am sure he would move on next summer if it wasn't this summer, as interest seems high.

Take the gamble and wait until January window, with possibly more interested parties.  

• 2 weeks later...

A Fake Saint fan on P&B seems think that they and ourselves are interested in signing Stephen O'Donnell from Motherwell.

Would seem strange given that we've got Fraser, Strain and Flynn who can play there.

Although, maybe Robinson is looking to "move on" Flynn and/or Fraser.

Another twist in an already bizarre build up the start of the league season.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

A Fake Saint fan on P&B seems think that they and ourselves are interested in signing Stephen O'Donnell from Motherwell.

Would seem strange given that we've got Fraser, Strain and Flynn who can play there.

Would not rule this out. Robinson is surrounding himself with players he trusts from his time at well. Tanser is injured too often and Flynn and Tait are not up to it. 

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

O’Donnell is under contract at Well till summer 2023 , would require a fee I’d say . He was given Motherwell squad #2 for this season although he spent last night sitting on the bench. 

As for Flynn & Tait ?  Both under contract with us till ‘23 so would need to be mutually consented which would cost us money or loaned out but as far as Flynn is concerned , I’d be surprised as he got a one year extension under Robinson and can play in a variety of positions. 
Tait seems so far out the picture at the moment , he may want to go elsewhere for games. 

18 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

O’Donnell is under contract at Well till summer 2023 , would require a fee I’d say . He was given Motherwell squad #2 for this season although he spent last night sitting on the bench. 

As for Flynn & Tait ?  Both under contract with us till ‘23 so would need to be mutually consented which would cost us money or loaned out but as far as Flynn is concerned , I’d be surprised as he got a one year extension under Robinson and can play in a variety of positions. 
Tait seems so far out the picture at the moment , he may want to go elsewhere for games. 

Motherwell 🤔

21 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Robinson will already know he's got a major job on to get things right. If that means he's got to offload before he brings others in , then so be it. If the SOD  story is true then Fraser and Tait must be on the way out. Also hearing he is looking to bring in another forward who played for him before , but it will cost us , and he'll need to move others out !

19 minutes ago, billyg said:

Robinson will already know he's got a major job on to get things right. If that means he's got to offload before he brings others in , then so be it. If the SOD  story is true then Fraser and Tait must be on the way out. Also hearing he is looking to bring in another forward who played for him before , but it will cost us , and he'll need to move others out !

Any ideas on the rumoured forward ? 

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Any ideas on the rumoured forward ? 

These are the players that Robinson signed whilst he was at Motherwell. Take your pick.:rolleyes:

I've highlighted the ones that I know are forwards.

20/21 (Robinson) - 11 (Lamie, White, McGinley, Fox, O'Hara, O'Donnell, Cole, Chapman, Hastie (loan), Lang (loan) Crawford (loan))
19/20 (Robinson) - 13 (Gallagher, Polworth, Carroll, Sloth, Hylton, Long, Seedorf, Ilic, Manzinga, MacIver, Cole (loan), O'Hara (loan) Mugabi)
18/19 (Robinson) - 8 (Gillespie, Donnelly, Johnson, Taylor-Sinclair, Gorrin, Mbulu, Sammon (loan), Aldred (loan))
17/18 (Robinson) - 14 (Fisher, Bigirimana, Tanner, Carson, Rose, Griffiths, Dunne, Kipré, Newell, Plummer, Ferguson, Petravicius, Grimshaw, Hartley (loan))

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

These are the players that Robinson signed whilst he was at Motherwell. Take your pick.:rolleyes:

20/21 (Robinson) - 11 (Lamie, White, McGinley, Fox, O'Hara, O'Donnell, Cole, Chapman, Hastie (loan), Lang (loan) Crawford (loan))
19/20 (Robinson) - 13 (Gallagher, Polworth, Carroll, Sloth, Hylton, Long, Seedorf, Ilic, Manzinga, MacIver, Cole (loan), O'Hara (loan) Mugabi)
18/19 (Robinson) - 8 (Gillespie, Donnelly, Johnson, Taylor-Sinclair, Gorrin, Mbulu, Sammon (loan), Aldred (loan))
17/18 (Robinson) - 14 (Fisher, Bigirimana, Tanner, Carson, Rose, Griffiths, Dunne, Kipré, Newell, Plummer, Ferguson, Petravicius, Grimshaw, Hartley (loan))

Seedorf is an out n out winger ,  Devante Cole is contracted till 2024  and on Championship wages. Callum Lang seems back in favour at Wigan and tied till 2025. 

As for the others, no better than what we have . 

Eta info mainly from wiki , so apologies if it’s not 100% 

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Don’t know where the money is coming from.

I heard from someone who was at the SMiSA meeting last night that the club made a 7 figure loss last season.

Was anyone at this meeting that can confirm this story?

Worrying. 

Just now, SuperSaints1877 said:

I heard from someone who was at the SMiSA meeting last night that the club made a 7 figure loss last season.

Worrying. 

Seven figures, I've just checked, fingers come in handy, a £1m quid loss? 

2 hours ago, billyg said:

21 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Forwards/Wingers that have played under him I think are:

Morecambe

• Arthur Gnahoua
  • Cole Stockton
  • Shayon Harrison (with Hayes & Yeading Utd)
  • Josh McPake (was on loan from rangers)
  • Wes McDonald (transfer Listed by club)
  • Jonathan Obika (transfer listed by club)
  • Courtney Duffus (transfer listed by club)

Motherwell

• Nadir Çiftçi (Last with the fake saints)
  • James Scott (last season on loan from Hull to Hibs)
  • Christy Manzinga (last played for Linfield)
  • Jermaine Hylton (last with Newport County)
  • Sherwin Seedorf (Last with Motherwell)
  • Alex Fisher (now with Yeovil Town)
  • Craig Tanner (Now with Ebbsfleet Utd)
  • George Newell (now with Southport)
  • Deimantas Petravičius (Now with Águilas FC)
  • Ryan Bowman (now with Shrewsbury Town)
  • Danny Johnson (now with Mansfield Town)
  • Chris Long (now with Crewe Alexandra)
  • Ross MacIver (Now with Alloa)
  • Tony Watt (now with Dundee Utd)
  • Devante Cole (now with Barnsley)
  • Rolando Aarons (with Huddersfield)
  • Jordan White (at Ross County)
  • Jake Hastie (was loaned from Rangers, now at Hartlepool)
  • Callum Lang ( at Wigan)
  • Harry Smith (at Leyton Orient)
  • Jordan Roberts (now at Stevenage)
  • Louis Moult (now with Burton Albion)

Oldham

• Aaron Amadi-Holloway (last with Burton Albion)
  • Michael Ngoo (last with Tirana)
  • Darius Osei (now with South Shields)
  • Tope Obadeyi (Just back at Oldham)
  • Billy Mckay (with ICT)
  • Freddie Ladapo (now with Ipswich)

19 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Worrying. 

That sounds made up to me.

1 hour ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Worrying. 

Pretty sure it would have been all over this site , P&B and Twitter if that had been true ?