Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Wonder if there is any substance in those Charles Dunne to Aberdeen rumours from earlier in the summer.

He was pictured at Pittodrie on Sunday but apparently his old pal just signed for them from Wycombe so in insolation, maybe nothing in it.

But then it has come out today that David Bates - the man with the best agent in football - is leaving for Legia Warsaw and is getting his medical today so Aberdeen might well be in the market for another centre half.

Non starter apparently

4 hours ago, Rascal said:

It certainly looks like the two players and the club are taking the long view. Given that both were fit and on form they might be important players for us in the season ahead.

Just a thought, I'm not 100% on this one but I'm sure somebody will remember. When we signed brophy I think he was out injured at killie. For a player of 26 to be as injury prone is either a worry or there is something amiss with the player. Can make a comparison with Dennis when he was here, suffered a serious injury but obviously work hard with rehab to get back into the team and indeed is still doing well at carlisle and ready for a 46 league game season.

1 hour ago, JJ McG said:

Fantasy stuff.

The additional £10 million on any fee he might command is guesswork on my part - call it speculation if you like but He has been made captain of Aston Villa. Fact. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11054719/amp/Steven-Gerrard-STRIPS-Tyrone-Mings-Aston-Villa-captaincy-names-John-McGinn-instead.html

Edited by Rascal

10 hours ago, Rascal said:

Not Speculation. John McGinn named as Captain at Aston Villa. (Another £10m on his price tag).

Unfortunately it means that there’s next to no chance that McGinn will be leaving them this summer now, if Gerrard has just made him captain.

If there was any doubt about his future there, he wouldn’t have been given the armband. We’ve been waiting a couple of years to cash in on him again, but it’s looking less likely now. Shame, as it would be a big windfall for us and I’d love to see him get a crack at a top club down there, especially a year or two ago when he was on fire. . 

1 hour ago, Balmullo Bud said:

Unfortunately it means that there’s next to no chance that McGinn will be leaving them this summer now, if Gerrard has just made him captain.

If there was any doubt about his future there, he wouldn’t have been given the armband. We’ve been waiting a couple of years to cash in on him again, but it’s looking less likely now. Shame, as it would be a big windfall for us and I’d love to see him get a crack at a top club down there, especially a year or two ago when he was on fire. . 

I take your point that it’s less likely in the immediate future. Agreed

Edited by Rascal

On 7/26/2022 at 3:36 PM, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Apart from the Glasgow 2, the Edinburgh 2 and Aberdeen probably don't feel the need to sell potential future assets for lets face it ridiculous sums like the 125k allegedly for Dylan Reid who could be worth so much more in future or indeed sell for low amounts with God knows how many sell on clauses which no guarantee of future payments. 

According to the SMISA meeting notes, Celtics offer included a 30% sell-on fee.  Selling at his development fee just now with a big sell-on fee now, whilst we have a bargaining tool, is better than having no negotiation other than the dev fee next summer.Interested clubs will see less risk in this model, instead of paying a larger upfront fee plus a sell-on as good as that for us.

7 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

According to the SMISA meeting notes, Celtics offer included a 30% sell-on fee.  Selling at his development fee just now with a big sell-on fee now, whilst we have a bargaining tool, is better than having no negotiation other than the dev fee next summer.Interested clubs will see less risk in this model, instead of paying a larger upfront fee plus a sell-on as good as that for us.

Thanks. As I understand it, we accepted the offer but the player decided to stay, as is his right.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Having forwards and having forwards who scan score are not the same thing,  we are creating chances , we are having attempts at goal , 25 shots in league , 7 on target - 1 goal . 

And thwarted by one goalkeeper in amazing form (Motherwell)

From watching yesterday I'm not sure what else we need to help add to the squad. Before I still thought we needed a Gogic type and a more creative type like Ronan. From yesterday I thought Erhahon, Baccus and Kiltie played really well (though looked f**ked like anyone would in that heat playing at that tempo). I'm now thinking, even if it's the loan market, maybe cover for both wing backs who can get up and down all day at that tempo would be good. Tanser is good and a great option on his day, but is injured a fair bit. Tait did well yesterday and his goal was great, but he is seen as backup on both sides. With Tanser out and him in, we are light there with players.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

From watching yesterday I'm not sure what else we need to help add to the squad. Before I still thought we needed a Gogic type and a more creative type like Ronan. From yesterday I thought Erhahon, Baccus and Kiltie played really well (though looked f**ked like anyone would in that heat playing at that tempo). I'm now thinking, even if it's the loan market, maybe cover for both wing backs who can get up and down all day at that tempo would be good. Tanser is good and a great option on his day, but is injured a fair bit. Tait did well yesterday and his goal was great, but he is seen as backup on both sides. With Tanser out and him in, we are light there with players.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Tanser far too injury prone, maybe JG thought his training regime would have been able to help. Maybe this is why the fakes were glad to get him off their books. Anyway as for Tait, it wouldn't surprise me if he knows he is now a backup player as he is into his 30s now. Not a bad type of players to have as back up as in gives 100% every game. Certainly puts some of the younger ones to shame..................

28 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Maybe this is why the fakes were glad to get him off their books.

Tanser was out of contract and we offered more (wages & signing on fee) than St Johnstone.

31 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Tanser far too injury prone, maybe JG thought his training regime would have been able to help. Maybe this is why the fakes were glad to get him off their books. Anyway as for Tait, it wouldn't surprise me if he knows he is now a backup player as he is into his 30s now. Not a bad type of players to have as back up as in gives 100% every game. Certainly puts some of the younger ones to shame..................

Tanser was never really injured at St.Johnstone.

His injury problems seem to have developed with us.

We do need to bring in a LB/LWB.

With Fraser filling in for Gallagher yesterday, we had no real cover for Strain either.