Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

16 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

When we signed Main I was happy. I thought he’d be ideal for us. 
He then proceeded to be absolutely shite for virtually a whole season (like comically shite) and I developed a massive Erwinesque downer on him. 
Since Robbo came in he’s been a transformed player and I’ve been very vocal in his praise and also my lack of faith. 
For me this is different as I don’t want Watt to sign in the first place. 
Like you say though, if he does, I’ll put my faith in the fact that Robbo knows what he’s doing. 👍

Don't forget  Main was carrying an injury and playing under pain killer medication. Since Robbo came in, Main finished last season early and then underwent the surgery required on his injury. 

A good reason IMHO for the better performances we are now seeing from Main

I’m a wee bit undecided if a striker is what we need. I know our lack of goals suggests it, but is that necessarily the case? It’s not like our strikers are constantly missing barrowloads of sitters. I think it’s more our general decision making in the final third and for me that is more often about the final ball than the finish. Our delivery from wide areas and from set plays is generally pretty bad. If we can improve that then I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that Main, Ayunga and Grieve will score a lot more goals. That’s not to say those 3 haven’t missed some great chances, but all strikers do that. 

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’m a wee bit undecided if a striker is what we need. I know our lack of goals suggests it, but is that necessarily the case? It’s not like our strikers are constantly missing barrowloads of sitters. I think it’s more our general decision making in the final third and for me that is more often about the final ball than the finish. Our delivery from wide areas and from set plays is generally pretty bad. If we can improve that then I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that Main, Ayunga and Grieve will score a lot more goals. That’s not to say those 3 haven’t missed some great chances, but all strikers do that. 

Couple of things missing imo from our play in terms of players. 

I think we need someone more consistent on the left who can deliver crosses into the box. Imo Tanser hasn't done it often enough over the course of the season so far.

If we had a midfielder who can hit a ball, get into goalscoring positions like Ronan, McGrath and even going as far back as Mallan and Hammill, then that would be great. 
I think Baccus and O'hara are capable of doing so here and there and Kiltie can too, though not often enough.

8 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

Couple of things missing imo from our play in terms of players. 

I think we need someone more consistent on the left who can deliver crosses into the box. Imo Tanser hasn't done it often enough over the course of the season so far.

If we had a midfielder who can hit a ball, get into goalscoring positions like Ronan, McGrath and even going as far back as Mallan and Hammill, then that would be great. 
I think Baccus and O'hara are capable of doing so here and there and Kiltie can too, though not often enough.

Yes, our shooting from any sort of distance is particularly bad. 

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Suppose its relative to what we hope to achieve this season ...

Our strikers & midfield to date have cobbled together enough goals to see us almost a constant around mid table where we are comfortably removed from the relegation pains ...

Most fans are not looking over their shoulders and instead focusing on a top 6 finish

🤞🤞

With Brophy now off the books and Erahon potentially going I would like to think that Robbo will get the chance to freshen up with either  1 creative type option  or a finisher ( aye I know they don't grow on trees) 

I think top 6 is within our capability but whilst others strengthen i fear if we stand still we may ultimately just fall short unless we get another one ( of course has to be the right one) through the door 

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I agree with this. I don't think a striker is what we need. I don't think we create enough clear cut chances.

The way we set up is generally with 8 defensive-minded players (1GK, 3CB's, 2 FB's & 2DCM). It keeps us solid, but doesn't really inspire attacking play and lots of chances.

Hearing we’ve agreed a deal with Kilmarnock to take Calum Waters until the end of the season. Definitely a position we need cover/competition in. Looks likely to be announced tomorrow to soften the blow of Erhahon’s departure announcement. Makes sense for all parties considering he’s been out the picture there recently. 

10 minutes ago, RossCSmfc said:

Hearing we’ve agreed a deal with Kilmarnock to take Calum Waters until the end of the season. Definitely a position we need cover/competition in. Looks likely to be announced tomorrow to soften the blow of Erhahon’s departure announcement. Makes sense for all parties considering he’s been out the picture there recently. 

He was decent last time but we have got better and I'm not sure he is right for us now. Struggling to get into a struggling Killie side. In Robbo we trust but this looks a bit budget.

Oh you.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, RossCSmfc said:

🤣 why would we be doing them a favour. 😂

For any team in any match the decision making in final 3rd has biggest impact on whether you win the match or not imo.

Our play isn't free flowing attacking football but generally we do get into really good positions but most of time the pass isn't there.

Saturday was the prime example where we actually did it right Strain got into great position great run from striker right pass at right time = goal.

Later in that half we had a breakaway and a 2 v 1 on the left Kiltie underhits pass and the chance is gone.

Sent from my T671H using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, RossCSmfc said:

Triple signing along with John Rankin and Robbie Winters.