Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Liam Buchanan from partick thistle - apparently a great wee player. I'm pretty sure he's mid twenties and not prone to injuries, so i don't know where the appeal to st mirren would come in :P

Comes from a family of drug dealing criminals(allegedly).Not the type we need at St Mirren Park.

Yip, we have done all those things, very big achievements, but we have also gone through 2009 with just one home league win,

We've won 7 home matches in the past 13 months. :D

and finished in the bottom three for three seasons in a row.

Which is what you would expect when consolidating in the SPL after years of struggling at the wrong end of the First Division.

Gus has made a lot of poor signings in the last couple of years.

Apart from Paul Gallacher, Jack Ross, Chris Innes, Steven Thomson and Andy Dorman.

We currently have no wide midfielders that aren't injury-prone.

Apart from Andy Dorman.

We have one left-back who Gus has seemingly fallen out with.

Yeh, let's sack Gus because he's "seemingly" fallen out with the left back. :lol:

Our home attendances are terrible

They are better now than when we last qualified for the UEFA Cup in the 80s! They are better under Gus than they have been for most of the past 20 years!

and a worrying number of fans are on the team's back.

So what's new? They'd be on the managers back even if we were Champions of Europe!

Maybe with a manager who could actually pick a starting 11, we could be aiming for the top 6 in a couple of seasons?

We've already got one. :D

You can't deny that a lot of fans want a new management team.

Yes I can. I deny it. :D

Or maybe you're too thick and stupid to listen to opinions other than your own :wink::rolleyes:

What, like you? :wink:

Thicko. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Ah I see, you must be really clever as you've made a statement to counter all of my points. I'll join in :wink:

We've won 7 home matches in the past 13 months. :D

That's two home league wins in that time, and I think SPL games are more important than friendlies and early round cup games.

Which is what you would expect when consolidating in the SPL after years of struggling at the wrong end of the First Division.

Ah, but not when we've made so many 'great' signings...

Apart from Paul Gallacher, Jack Ross, Chris Innes, Steven Thomson and Andy Dorman.

In my opinion: barely better than Howard, inconsistent and a poor free kick taker, no better than Haining/Cuthbert, excellent signing, lazy and very inconsistent.

Apart from Andy Dorman.

Signed as a central attacking midfielder, has had several injuries.

Yeh, let's sack Gus because he's "seemingly" fallen out with the left back. :lol:

One mistake by a man who's made many... one of them being signing Mo instead of a left back who could pass.

They are better now than when we last qualified for the UEFA Cup in the 80s! They are better under Gus than they have been for most of the past 20 years!

But they are significantly lower than they were about a year ago.

So what's new? They'd be on the managers back even if we were Champions of Europe!

I think most of them would be happy with good performances most weeks and a top 6 finish. :)

We've already got one. :D

Personally I disagree, with another manager and this year's squad we could be aiming for 6th. Just what I think :)

Yes I can. I deny it. :D

Well... you can :lol::lol::lol:

What, like you? :wink:

Thicko. :rolleyes:

I respect your opinion. I don't personally think Gus should go right now, but I understand why people do think so, and I will agree with them if our lineups and performances don't improve. Playing McGinn in the middle for 90 mins would help.

Edited by Gareth_Glasgow

That's two home league wins in that time, and I think SPL games are more important than friendlies and early round cup games.

No, its 4 home league wins in that time, no friendlies included. :1eye We've won 8 home games in the past 13 months and lost 4 home games to non Old Firm teams. In the last full season before Gus became manager - in the First Division - our record was worse than 50/50. Its a remarkable improvement.

Ah, but not when we've made so many 'great' signings...

Yes we have, all of the players mentioned. If Gus's signings have all been so poor home come he's taken us from struggling against relegation to the Second Division to an SPL side?

In my opinion: barely better than Howard, inconsistent and a poor free kick taker, no better than Haining/Cuthbert, excellent signing, lazy and very inconsistent.

IMO Gallacher is our best goalkeeper since Campbell Money. Who sign Howard?

Jack Ross is our best right back we're had since Steve Clarke

Who sign Hanning/Cuthbert? For a cheap signing, Innes has been excellent.

Yes, Steven Thomosn has indeed been an excellengt signing.

Andy Dorman was the top goalscoring midfielder in the SPL last season. He's our best goalscoring midfielder since Billy Stark. He's been a brilliant signing. He makes a lot of runs - without the ball - into attacking positions that mostly don't get noticed unless the ball falls to him. He probably does more running that anyone else in the side. Its a big mistake to label someone like Dorman as lazy - as many St. Mirren fans were guilty of labelling Billy Stark.

Signed as a central attacking midfielder, has had several injuries.

He was signed as an attacking midfielder and has done that job brilliantly. He hasn't suffered several injuries.

One mistake by a man who's made many...

If he's made so many mistakes with his signings then how has he managed to turn us around from a bottom half First Division side into an SPL side?

But they are significantly lower than they were about a year ago.

No they aren't. The average has dropped because of the last game at Love Street, first game at the new stadium and the bigger capacity for Old Firm. Like for like gates are no different.

And who was manager a year ago? :1eye

I think most of them would be happy with good performances most weeks and a top 6 finish. :)

The realistic fans will be happy with us retaining our SPL place.

Personally I disagree, with another manager and this year's squad we could be aiming for 6th. Just what I think :)

We're already aiming for a top 6 place and a spot in the League Cup Final. Going by the record of previous managers, a new manager could have us back at the wrong end of the Second Division. Its not a gamble worth taking.

I respect your opinion. I don't personally think Gus should go right now, but I understand why people do think so, and I will agree with them if our lineups and performances don't improve. Playing McGinn in the middle for 90 mins would help.

McGinn has been playing in the middle most of the season. IMO he should be playing wide left - that's where he was playing when he scored 3 of his goals this season and when he was playing well.

St. Mirren's aim should be as a lower half SPL side that will fight against relegation some seasons and hopefully fight for a top 6 spot other seasons and in a fantastic season qualify for Europe plus have some decent cup runs. After years of struggling at the wrong end of the Second Division, Gus has almost got us to that point. We were only 8 pts away from a top 6 spot at the split last season and we're not that far away this season.

I took would like to see different line ups, more attacking football, indeed, I'd love to see us abandon the passing game and go for a direct route one long ball game. I fundamentally disagree with the way Gus has us playing football - probably more so than virtually everyone else on this board. My problem though is that a new manager might not be marginally better than Gus but could in fact be much much worse.

I don't think its a gamble worth taking.

Edited by Gary Blues

Don't want to quote your whole post but I agree that it would be a risk to get a new manager. Also we've won our last 2 games without being at our best so hopefully we can get a good run in the league going and any cup runs IMO would be a nice bonus. :)

However... clicky1 clicky2

Falkirk (H) - 14/02/09 - 5,504

Falkirk (H) - 12/12/09 - 4,033

Hibs (H) - 13/04/09 - 5,151

Hibs (H) - 21/11/09 - 4,681

Hamilton (H) - 23/05/09 - 6,747

Hamilton (H) - 31/10/09 - 4,022

To me those decreases are quite worrying, especially when the Hamilton one was the last game of the season and we we safe (although it ended up pretty close :rolleyes: )

Not enough fake tan or sunbed in paisley for him :P

Paisley's the sunbed capital of Europe - in terms of sunbeds per head of population.

The title was 'proudly wrested' from Glasgow's grasp at some time last year, IIRC.

So a dearth of sunbeds is not what would be stopping Mr Calderwood, as he'd hacked the sunbeds-situation in granite town.

Really? And, er..., what exactly did Aberdeen win under his stewardship then?

3rd spot in the league on two separate occassions. A far cry from their usual bottom 6 finish.

I appreciate they had a pretty decent budget in which to do that on the first time but in his last season he had lost most of the experienced and better players.

I think Calderwood would be a good appointment for any of the 3 SPL clubs currently looking for one. Just my opinion though. :P

3rd spot in the league on two separate occassions. A far cry from their usual bottom 6 finish.

I appreciate they had a pretty decent budget in which to do that on the first time but in his last season he had lost most of the experienced and better players.

I think Calderwood would be a good appointment for any of the 3 SPL clubs currently looking for one. Just my opinion though. tongue.gif

So 3rd spot in the league on two separate occassions, despite zero finals let alone zero trophies, makes Calderwood

Aberdeens most succesful manager since fergie!!

does it? Hmmm. Something tells me someone's not been paying too much attention to the Dandies in the last twenty odd years.wink.gif

I think Calderwood would be a good appointment for any of the 3 SPL clubs currently looking for one. Just my opinion though. :P

David,

JC was a successful manager for a while at both Dunfermline and Aberdeen.

Jim Jefferies had success for a while at Hearts and Killie.

I could probably carry on inserting several other names into similar sentences, all with the proviso "for a while". But when the money they were getting to spend on player transfers and inflated wages dried up the success dried up too. Just about any semi-competent or largely-incompetent football manager (Rowan Alexander FFS !!) can produce decent results when they have the wherewithal to outbid and outspend other less fortunate managers but they crash like Icarus when the dosh evaporates and (IMO) JC and JJ are no better managers (indeed probably less talented) than a shitload of guys that lost their jobs over the years because they were competing against teams bolstered by fantasy money. The fact that Calderwood and Jefferies are currently jobless should come as no surprise as they failed to cut it when their financial crutch was whipped away. Appointing either of these at a club with zero money to spend would be a disaster.

Re the January transfer window GM usually has his business done prior to the window opening with players like Thomson and Dorman being registered on the 1st IIRC. The only time we've done business at the death was when we got Malone & O'Donnell from Clyde but even that was in response to Lappin being sold. So I reckon it's unlikely we'll see any new faces unless someone is shipped out - maybe one at the most.