Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Dorman , Carey and Hughes , all very good players who should be playing regularly for teams that finish regularly in the top six , I would be delighted if we signed one of them , and over the moon if we could sign two .

I,m delighted with the quality of the squad we are putting together , and bearing in mind the quality of the loan signings we made last season , I,m quite confident we can get a couple of decent players in on loan this season.

Give the guy a break - he's not said we're going to sign him.

He's a really talented striker - strong, quick and good finisher - suspect he'll be off down south this summer.

Almost everywhere in the known football world is south of Inverness.

So looks like DL is looking at players who have had SPL experience this time round, if we look at the players he has signed, rather that unproven players.

Who is out there then to fill rolls we need that have SPL experience in

Centre back, Left back, Creative midfielder, Striker?

Centre back

Brian McLean was with Motherwell and Falkirk in the SPL. Always thought he was good in the air.

Chris Hogg was with Hibs and ICT in the SPL. Always thought he was pretty solid.

Left back

Jim Paterson - played in the SPL before and is an experienced player.

David Buchanan - released from Accies after they went down. what I have seem of him he seems alright.

Creative midfielder

Stephen Hughes - Able to chip in with a few goals in their time in SPL.

Andy Dorman - Able to chip in with a few goals in their time in SPL.

Striker

Colin Nish - he has played most of his time in the SPL. I think of him like a Higdon type. If we were to get him, could DL make him have a season like Higdon's?

Strikers that have been released by SPL sides

The Fakes

Peter MacDonald (Released)

Collin Samuel (Released)

Scott Dobie (Released)

Hibs

Darryl Duffy (Released)

Derek Riordan (Released)

Colin Nish (Released)

Who else is out there that could have the SPL quality that we need and are looking for?

edited to add in other strikers that have been released by SPL sides.

Edited by Mainstand Sweary Mob

I agree that we need a centre half, left back, Midfielder, and striker, but all but the left back could be squad players, I wouldn't mind starting with Mair & McGregor for example. But the glaring shortfall is Left Back again, either Paterson or buchanan or (preferably) both would fit the bill - but are we close?

So looks like DL is looking at players who have had SPL experience this time round, if we look at the players he has signed, rather that unproven players.

Who is out there then to fill rolls we need that have SPL experience in

Centre back, Left back, Creative midfielder, Striker?

Centre back

Brian McLean was with Motherwell and Falkirk in the SPL. Always thought he was good in the air.

Chris Hogg was with Hibs and ICT in the SPL. Always thought he was pretty solid.

Left back

David Buchanan - released from Accies after they went down. what I have seem of him he seems alright.

Creative midfielder

Stephen Hughes - Able to chip in with a few goals in their time in SPL.

Andy Dorman - Able to chip in with a few goals in their time in SPL.

Striker

Colin Nish - he has played most of his time in the SPL. I think of him like a Higdon type. If we were to get him, could DL make him have a season like Higdon's?

Strikers that have been released by SPL sides

The Fakes

Peter MacDonald (Released)

Collin Samuel (Released)

Scott Dobie (Released)

Hibs

Darryl Duffy (Released)

Derek Riordan (Released)

Colin Nish (Released)

Who else is out there that could have the SPL quality that we need and are looking for?

edited to add in other strikers that have been released by SPL sides.

With 2 of Thompson, Hasselbaink & McShane battling for strikers positions with Paul McGowan also able to play up front and McQuade in reserve, I can't see us signing another striker.

As for the "creative midfielder", we already have McLean & Mooy.

I think that a centre half and a left back are the priorities.

I agree that we need a centre half, left back, Midfielder, and striker, but all but the left back could be squad players, I wouldn't mind starting with Mair & McGregor for example. But the glaring shortfall is Left Back again, either Paterson or buchanan or (preferably) both would fit the bill - but are we close?

With Thompson, Hasslbaink, McShane and McGowan already on the books, do you really think Lennon is after another striker?

As for left back, David Barron can play there if need be.

With Thompson, Hasslbaink, McShane and McGowan already on the books, do you really think Lennon is after another striker?

As for left back, David Barron can play there if need be.

I know Barron can if need be, but I would prefer a player who can play there comfortably.

Also noticed for centre back Kovacevic was released by Dundee Utd, wasn't he? Could he fit the bill?

I know Barron can if need be, but I would prefer a player who can play there comfortably.

Barron won a stack of POY awards at left back - I'd say that was fairly comfortable.

St. Mirren operated for most of the 80s without a left footed left back - the most successful era in our history. We won the Scottish Cup in 1959 & 1987 without a left footed left back.

c*ltic won the European Cup with a right footed left back, Aberdeen won the European Cup Winners Cup with a right footed left back, Dundee United reached the European Cup Semi Final and UEFA Cup Final and won the Premier League with a right footed left back, Manchester United won the Champions League in 1999 with a right footed left back, etc, etc.

If its good enough for them then its good enough for us! :P

Centre back

Left back

Striker

I'd take all these players. I haven't seen enough of Buchanan to comment. Paterson and one of Hogg/McLean would be decent additions to our squad, in my opinion. I'm surprised at Hogg, actually - he was Hibs' captain after Jones left and always seemed half decent. Maybe for a club like us he'd be good cover. I don't remember him being the tallest though, so perhaps McLean would fit the bill.

Given who we've already got on the books, I'd take Nish too. I was always impressed by him at Killie, he seemed to give our defences a hard time and was probably better with the ball at his feet than in the air. His wage demands may be too high for a squad like ours, though.

I can see why people would be happy with Barron at LB, he was decent there, but with Thomson in the team I think we need players on either wing who can ping the ball into the box comfortably. Div can't really do that on his right side, never mind his left. LB has to be THE main priority before going any further.

I can see why people would be happy with Barron at LB, he was decent there, but with Thomson in the team I think we need players on either wing who can ping the ball into the box comfortably. Div can't really do that on his right side, never mind his left. LB has to be THE main priority before going any further.

I agree that we need a left sided player who can ping balls into the box. Whether it be a left back or a left sided midfielder I don't think matters greatly.

For example, Barron at left back and Graham carey at left midfield would suit me. :)

I don't think that 2 right footed players on the left would be ideal though (albeit it worked for Dundee Utd in the 80s - Malpas / Bannon).

Maybe McLean can emerge as the left footer?

I agree that we need a left sided player who can ping balls into the box. Whether it be a left back or a left sided midfielder I don't think matters greatly.

For example, Barron at left back and Graham carey at left midfield would suit me. :)

I don't think that 2 right footed players on the left would be ideal though (albeit it worked for Dundee Utd in the 80s - Malpas / Bannon).

I'm right footed but I like to think I could hit the ball pretty well with my left too. In fact I er practiced it to improve... Does this thread perhaps highlight the limitations of modern coaching tending to work on players' strengths rather than perceived weaknesses?

He was offered a new contract but wants to return to the central belt !

I've said before he could be a good addition to our squad. I get the feeling he's one of these players who needs to be loved and hasn't really enjoyed the kind of support to bring out the best in him so far in his career. (So maybe we're not the best club for him....) . I for one would like to see him in the stripes.

I remember watching Hogg whilst playing for Hibs against Hearts on ESPN and he was rank that day and was blamed by the commentary team for one of the goals, it was not surprising that not long after, Hibs offloaded him to Caley.

As for Nish is that the same guy who got continually booed by his own Hibs fans because he is gash!

To be fair Baldy Bannon was comfortable with either foot and switched wings quite often like the great Scanlon did for us

I remember watching Hogg whilst playing for Hibs against Hearts on ESPN and he was rank that day and was blamed by the commentary team for one of the goals, it was not surprising that not long after, Hibs offloaded him to Caley.

As for Nish is that the same guy who got continually booed by his own Hibs fans because he is gash!

Never rated Hogg as i think he isn't strong enough especially in the air.

Reminds me too much like John Potter, we need a centre half in the mould of McLaughlin at the Accies.

We don't need Nish as we have two big target men in Thompson and McShane, we need a forward with pace and movement to play beside these two.

We need a midfield player who can break with pace at the moment our midfield are far too slow.

Moving the ball around we are too slow and without the ball to support the front men we need to inject pace into our midfield

Reminds me too much like John Potter, we need a centre half in the mould of McLaughlin at the Accies.

We don't need Nish as we have two big target men in Thompson and McShane, we need a forward with pace and movement to play beside these two.

We need a midfield player who can break with pace at the moment our midfield are far too slow.

Moving the ball around we are too slow and without the ball to support the front men we need to inject pace into our midfield

Thompson will bring a lot to the team because he will be good at winning balls up that end of the park and others will feed off that, including the midfield who should be piling in to support him. We might get more out of the guys already at the club just by having someone like Thompson up there who has the ability to win stuff, hold it up when required and has the ability to feed decent balls to his team mates. He was never a golascorer but I reckon he could do for us what the likes of Brewster did for a few teams when he came back to Scotland. Higdon was never much good at that kind of thing, he had other qualities.

Hasselbaink has outright pace off the mark and will be able to turn defences at times.

I want us to be more solid at the back than we were last season. If we do bring in a decent midfielder then fair enough but I think the priority now is to sort out the defence if possible.

My sentiments exactly.

As you say i believe we should get a big towering central defender who will cut out alot of cross balls and will be a key figure at defending corners and up at the other end when we have corners. Would also like the defender to have better distribution of the ball compared to Potter which i feel is a real weakness in Potter's game (too many aimless punts).

Edited by Railwalker