Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Make the offer give them 2 weeks to sign it if they don't cheerio

exactly it's up to the management to offer what they reckon is reasonble and affordable, hopefully they get it right and we keep tess and nigel if not then good luck lads and thanks for everything you done this season

I was talking to my mates about the Ginga Ninja on Saturday saying the club should get him signed on an improved deal with an additional year added. One of our best and most consistent players this season and fully deserving of a new improved contract. I don't think any St Mirren fan would begrudge him getting an improved deal.

I disagree.

Using that philosophy, first-team players would all be paid the same wages. Craig Samson has played every match this season and has been arguably one of our most important players, but I'm willing to bet Thompson, Teale, Goodwin, McGowan and Mair are all on higher wages than him.

Different players lend themselves to different circumstances - to say that it should be one signing-on fee or none at all is unrealistic and unproductive, surely. We pay Thommo higher wages because that's probably what we needed to pay him to get him to sign.

Similarly, we had to pay £35,000 for Imrie because that's what it took to make him a Saints player.

If we wanted either player to stay with us, we may have to pay more for the privilege. After all, we only gave them one-year deals at the start of the season.

I suppose it depends on how much we want to keep them and how much they're demanding, and indeed whether the club has a strict policy over it, but there surely must be room for negotiation here.

You know who I'd love...Farid El Alagui. He's quick, scores goals and would be a great dressing room addition as he gets on well with his team mates and supporters. I think we're missing a trick not going for him to be honest, he'd be great playing off Thompson.

You know who I'd love...Farid El Alagui. He's quick, scores goals and would be a great dressing room addition as he gets on well with his team mates and supporters. I think we're missing a trick not going for him to be honest, he'd be great playing off Thompson.

Heading dahn saaf, I believe.

rolleyes.gif You didn't use those exact words but you said there were plenty of players "at least as good". So, come on, who are they?

Surely, if you know such a vast amount of available talent exists, you will be sending a list to Danny Lennon in due course?

I'm not saying either player is irreplaceable either, but if we are to let players go - unless we are absolutely powerless to avoid it - we have to have others lined up to replace them. IMO, both Tesselaar and Hasselbaink are important players and have been key to the progress we've made this season. I feel that letting them go could have a detrimental effect on the way we perform next season.

I don't think it's as easy as just saying we can sign someone else. Almost every player is replaceable - but it's being able to replace them with the right player that is the difficult part.

I agree with you despite you consistently conflating my words. It might not be easy, but it's clearly possible. Yes it's a shame when good players move on, but that is football. Look at it this way, who'd heard of Tesselaar before he signed for us? And yet, there's the evidence on the pitch of good (maybe better) players who were out there. I don't need a list (nor did I claim to have one) to know that.

I agree with you despite you consistently conflating my words. It might not be easy, but it's clearly possible. Yes it's a shame when good players move on, but that is football. Look at it this way, who'd heard of Tesselaar before he signed for us? And yet, there's the evidence on the pitch of good (maybe better) players who were out there. I don't need a list (nor did I claim to have one) to know that.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but the way some people post on here it's as if we're replacing a screw in a piece of machinery and not a football player. No two footballers are the same, so to replace someone like-for-like is indeed a very difficult task.

Anyway, we're not in the situation of needing to 'replace' anyone yet, and I hope we still aren't come August. We need to build on the quality we have, not simply build a new squad every season. Thankfully, we do look like doing the former at the moment.

Edited by Sunny Saint

I'm not saying it's impossible, but the way some people post on here it's as if we're replacing a screw in a piece of machinery and not a football player. No two footballers are the same, so to replace someone like-for-like is indeed a very difficult task.

Anyway, we're not in the situation of needing to 'replace' anyone yet, and I hope we still aren't come August. We need to build on the quality we have, not simply build a new squad every season. Thankfully, we do look like doing the former at the moment.

Fair enough mate. You are right there, and point taken, though the other side of that coin is people who post on here as if the world has ended because this or that player looks like moving on. Anyway, I'll not make throw-away comments in future! We all want the Saints to do well and better. I totally agree we should be looking to build on what we've got, whichis good and I think probably the strongest squad / team I've seen since the late 70's team of my youth. With some tweaking, bit of player development etc they might hopefully achieve as much before too long.

Fair enough mate. You are right there, and point taken, though the other side of that coin is people who post on here as if the world has ended because this or that player looks like moving on. Anyway, I'll not make throw-away comments in future! We all want the Saints to do well and better. I totally agree we should be looking to build on what we've got, whichis good and I think probably the strongest squad / team I've seen since the late 70's team of my youth. With some tweaking, bit of player development etc they might hopefully achieve as much before too long.

This is by far the strongest Saints squad I've ever seen, both in terms of potential and current ability - it's great!

I know what you mean. I do make strong cases for trying to keep players like Hasselbaink but of course we shouldn't break the 'Hasselbaink' (whistling.gif) to keep him. Replaceable, of course he is. But perhaps it's because I haven't seen a player like him who can beat a player with such ease EVER in a Saints jersey that I may sound like it's the end of the world - I kind of want to keep that!

Your either very young or have a bad memory

Junior Mendes and our wee circus act Quitongo both like Nigel were either sublime or murder!

I don't think either are as good as Nigel and certainly didn't possess the skill to do that on a regular basis, as well as scoring goals - particularly at the age of 21.

And I have a bad memory. :P

Nigel has potential of that there is no doubt I certainly wouldn't say however that he is up there on a regular basis, his whole mid season was terrible and that's no dig that's fact.

For what its worth Junior and Quitongo both has loads of skill but sadly no real end product and like Nigel both inconsistent.

his arse

As well as my rear end, it was announced he was pretty much signed up with an SPL club next season (few minor things to tie up) an interview with Tommy Craig on Tuesday, he said we had a big named striker coming in who would provide extra firepower. However, he was not going to discuss names as he didn't want another Craig Beattie situation on his hands.