jimdickloyal

Speculation Thread

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

I wonder if we tried to send Rodgers back to Aberdeen and they told us we were stuck with him.

Hence the reason we couldn't offer Lyness a contract.

I'd imagine this is the case. One of the two had to go. Lyness is the better keeper but out of contract so we weren't in a position to offer him anything.

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Take that as none then?

It was only one today.. but getting the paperwork right is primary - another on Monday and by then perhaps one or two others..

Remember we were only going to be able to sign 2 or 3... ha  ha

Watch them rolling in  .. .:hammer

37 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I wonder if we tried to send Rodgers back to Aberdeen and they told us we were stuck with him.

Hence the reason we couldn't offer Lyness a contract.

It would be fairly unusual for us not to have a get out clause, but we might have him on the cheap as we are effectively training him and giving him 1st team experience...

I know that is just speculation, but we do not know. 

55 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd imagine this is the case. One of the two had to go. Lyness is the better keeper but out of contract so we weren't in a position to offer him anything.

How were we not able to offer Lyness a contract when we have been able to do so for the Czech. Surely we have opted for the Czech lad over Lyness ?

10 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

How were we not able to offer Lyness a contract when we have been able to do so for the Czech. Surely we have opted for the Czech lad over Lyness ?

Because we have wanted the Czech guy since before Xmas (according to the player himself on Liberec's website, we tried to get him in before Xmas but couldn't get an agreement to bring him over) . Meaning that if all went to plan, we knew he was coming in regardless. 

The 2nd choice would have then been between Rodgers and Lyness. At a guess, we'd have preferably opted for Lyness staying (given he'd risen to first choice) but probably couldn't break the loan deal off with Rodgers going back up north meaning we have to keep him for rest of the season. So with one goalie they couldn't move on and a goalie they knew they definitely  wanted coming in, they weren't in a position to offer Lyness anything. Which makes sense of what Oran said when Lyness was released. 

Edited by djchapsticks

8 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

The Czech 'keeper was signed as first choice.

I'm sure OK would have much preferred to keep Lyness as back up and send Rodgers back to Aberdeen, given that he dropped Rodgers for Lyness.

Just now, FTOF said:

The Czech 'keeper was signed as first choice.

I'm sure OK would have much preferred to keep Lyness as back up and send Rodgers back to Aberdeen, given that he dropped Rodgers for Lyness.

Suspect budget was a factor here - Rodgers the cheaper option

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

If you were to believe it.  That would do a lot for his confidence, assuming we don't  want him and they don't want him back at this time. 

Edited by pod

5 minutes ago, pod said:

If you were to believe it.  That would do a lot for his confidence, assuming we don't  want him and they don't want him back at this time. 

Signing another keeper won't have done much for his confidence either. 

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Suspect budget was a factor here - Rodgers the cheaper option

I think the factor was, Rogers is on loan til the end of the season, and Aberdeen don't want him back, and Lyness,s contract has run out. So we can just say bye bye. Won't be surprised if we sign Lynass as back up next season

Let’s not sign a first choice keeper cos it might damage the confidence of our reserve keeper!

Let’s not sign anymore players in case it damages the confidence of the ones already there!

10 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Unless we were going to stick with our development keeper as backup, we needed to sign another keeper if Lyness was leaving.

10 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I think the factor was, Rogers is on loan til the end of the season, and Aberdeen don't want him back, and Lyness,s contract has run out. So we can just say bye bye. Won't be surprised if we sign Lynass as back up next season

There is no way, I think, that we could not have got out of the Rodgers loan. We might still do so, if we sign another GK..

I think Lyness was most likely on decent money and we did not want to have 2 big wage GK's

Not sure Lyness will be keen to come back - given that he thought he'd be offered a contract extension - especially as he had effectively become our No.1 GK.

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Unless we were going to stick with our development keeper as backup, we needed to sign another keeper if Lyness was leaving.

You are right.  We need to have at least two experienced keepers in the squad.  The comment I made was in reply to a post about Rodgers confidence levels if Aberdeen had turned down him returning to the club now.  We have signed a keeper on an 18 month deal.  Naive as I am,  I would expect our new man to be first choice.  Having recently been our first choice keeper,  I can't imagine this helped his confidence.  But.. Such is football.  Players have to compete for places.  Also agree that Lyness would be unlikely to return ( unless he has another gig lined up) 

Edited by St.Ricky

Derek McInness and his team must have been pissing themselves laughing the day Stubbs signed a season long loan for Rodgers. There is no way they were going to take him back and get saddled with his wages again. He'll be out the door at the end of the season I'm sure.

My only problem is that he isn't actually a goalkeeper. Surely we aren't going to play him if the Czech lad gets injured?

18 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

You are right.  We need to have at least two experienced keepers in the squad.  The comment I made was in reply to a post about Rodgers confidence levels if Aberdeen had turned down him returning to the club now.  We have signed a keeper on an 18 month deal.  Naive as I am,  I would expect our new man to be first choice.  Having recently been our first choice keeper,  I can't imagine this helped his confidence.  But.. Such is football.  Players have to compete for places.  Also agree that Lyness would be unlikely to return ( unless he has another gig lined up) 

Aberdeen signed Cerny allowing Rogers to come to us as they had two experienced keepers. Makes sense they are in no rush to take him back if he is 3rd choice.

19 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Derek McInness and his team must have been pissing themselves laughing the day Stubbs signed a season long loan for Rodgers. There is no way they were going to take him back and get saddled with his wages again. He'll be out the door at the end of the season I'm sure.

My only problem is that he isn't actually a goalkeeper. Surely we aren't going to play him if the Czech lad gets injured?

A weekend bit harsh. After all Aberdeen had signed him in the first place. On the evidence so far however, when Lyness played we looked more secure  IMO.