Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

I'd be disappointed if we signed Josh Magennis.

He's a footballer who can't actually play football.

I'd take him, dependent on salary being sensible. Big, strong and fast. I think he could do well given regular football, which he hasn't had for a while.

I felt a lot of our problem last season was trying to accommodate Newton into the team. He suits the Goodwin role at his best IMO, and well, we already have Goodwin. He's not someone that is very good wide. McGinn and McGowan are both better players... and he's not going to settle for a place on the bench.

As much as he is a good player I just don't see a place for him in the starting 11 with what we have and I certainly don't want to see him wasted on the right.

I felt a lot of our problem last season was trying to accommodate Newton into the team. He suits the Goodwin role at his best IMO, and well, we already have Goodwin. He's not someone that is very good wide. McGinn and McGowan are both better players... and he's not going to settle for a place on the bench.

As much as he is a good player I just don't see a place for him in the starting 11 with what we have and I certainly don't want to see him wasted on the right.

if jim takes on more of a coaching role mabye conner will get more playing time in that role?

I'd be very surprised if we can satisfy his wage demands. We paid a tiny fraction of his Newcastle salary while he was on loan.

I'd be surprised if any club took him on and paid him what he was getting at Newcastle. He has found his level and will get paid the going rate for his level. He wasn't exactly player of the year, John McGinn is a far better player was happy to sign a deal with us. I say good luck to Connor in finding a club willing to pay him more than the going rate, we have as good a chance as anyone at signing him should we choose to offer him a deal.

Wouldn't say it was Newton alone. The fact is we had too many central midfielders from McGowan, McGinn, Goodwin, McLean, Newton and Harkins for the first half of the season. These players we're deemed undroppable by Danny and therefore our attack suffered. Our severe lack of pace and movement up top and inadequate support for Thommo was dreadful. Thommo needs a partner but we were too busy trying to accomodate Gowser in the hole. We really have missed Nigel and Isma. Hopefully see more on Wylde next year. I think he has alot to offer.

Wouldn't say it was Newton alone. The fact is we had too many central midfielders from McGowan, McGinn, Goodwin, McLean, Newton and Harkins for the first half of the season. These players we're deemed undroppable by Danny and therefore our attack suffered. Our severe lack of pace and movement up top and inadequate support for Thommo was dreadful. Thommo needs a partner but we were too busy trying to accomodate Gowser in the hole. We really have missed Nigel and Isma. Hopefully see more on Wylde next year. I think he has alot to offer.

For a number 10 playing off the striker McGowans attempts on goal ratio is piss poor, we would get more goals and efforts on goal playing harkins in there, McGowan playing off Thompson slows the play down far too much + McGowan can't shoot.

I would only keep McGowan if it was on vastly reduced wages.

Puyol is leaving Barca, this is the type of defender that could do a job for us, his experience at the back would help Cheesy. I believe he is a better defender than Mair.

Go get him T.C.

Edited by Kendo

I like Higdon. I really do. BUT. A big slow goalscorer. Where would we play him? Alongside our new captain? Drop Thommo? luxury backup given his probable salary level.

TBF , wee Tommy appeased Thommo with the captaincy , and Thommo can't go on forever , as his recent knee op indicates. I would imagine we are already looking for a replacement long term !

Edited by billyg

I like Higdon. I really do. BUT. A big slow goalscorer. Where would we play him? Alongside our new captain? Drop Thommo? luxury backup given his probable salary level.

We'd play him up front of course!

If we signed Higdon - and obviously we won't - then he'd be the main man. It would then be a case of where does everyone else fit in around him!

I liked Higdon but our previous previous manager insisted on playing high balls into the box for him when it was bleedin obvious to anyone watching him play that he liked the ball played to his feet and not in the air for him to get clattered by the centre half.

would be ideal target man who can hold the ball up well and score his share of goals.

I liked Higdon but our previous previous manager insisted on playing high balls into the box for him when it was bleedin obvious to anyone watching him play that he liked the ball played to his feet and not in the air for him to get clattered by the centre half.

would be ideal target man who can hold the ball up well and score his share of goals.

Never mind his goals, he was a lazy Cnut who never ran about like a headless chicken seemingly. :)

They would both play. Higdon would get us 15-20 goals a season as does Thommo. Would be a no brainer for me! Saying that I think there's no chance we will sign him.