Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

All great players/lads. Add Norrie Sutton to that list, he went off to Hong Kong to play if i remember correct, after a spell at feckin Morton..!

I remember him talking about coming up against an ageing John Greig whilst playing for Morton reserves. The old c**t spent the whole game threatening to break everyones legs.

Did he have the stamina to catch anyone.

Craig played a central role in the progress of the fermers in recent seasons, prior to his switch to Embra.

He is a decent player - likewise Ryan Stevenson. Not spectacular, but this is the market we are operating in, and people will need to grasp this.

Well Saintees didn't seem to miss him all that much.

My point was that maybe we should be considering operating in different markets, as our current transfer policy of signing castoffs from relegated teams and SPL reserves is not really paying dividends.

Harkins, Grainger, Magennis etc. etc. This approach smacks of laziness to me.

Time for some more radical thinking in my opinion.

There's plenty of good players available out there, without simply having to resort to the obvious, easy (and frequently poor) options.

In my day there weren't that many from Glenburn made it into senior football. Cockles of course lived in Islay Road and Archie was Langcraigs Drive. And if I remember correctly Davy Provan lived off Grampian Avenue somewhere during his early days with Celtic. We had not a bad team from greenbank Drive and occasionally Archie guested for us. Like you, we sometimes played football morning,noon and night.

Eddie Welsh from greenbank drive,John McCabe from braehead road, Jim Grogan from linnwell crescent , all quality players and should have gone Pro.

Eddie Welsh from greenbank drive,John McCabe from braehead road, Jim Grogan from linnwell crescent , all quality players and should have gone Pro.

I knew all of those and you could add a few names to the list, most especially cockles wilson junior who seemd incredibly gifted yet showed reducing interest in footy after the age of 12 or so. it's harsh to say but for many of them attitude was the problem and it seemed to be fashionable for young guys to tell senior scouts, and even managers, to f--k off when approached. Must have been something in the Glenburn mentality of the day. Even those who signed for senior clubs were let go at a young age, so maybe our hindsight is a little rose-tinted

Rose tinted no.I blame it on Old England white or golden.A favourite tipple of our Glenburn soccer stars.I ran about with John jnr and his ability was incredible but drink and fags done him in and also the fact that he could not really be bothered applying himself.Shame Really.

I remember Eddie very well but you might recall that illness he had when he was about 16 or 17. Can't remember the details now. Might have been kidney. He had massive surgery and years later he still had a huge scar. He was friendly with Davy Hay and Eddie was regarded as a better prospect until his illness. I know Davy is not popular among St.Mirren fans, but he was a great player.

Can't think of John McCabe but JIm Grogan rings a bell.

My point was that maybe we should be considering operating in different markets, as our current transfer policy of signing castoffs from relegated teams and SPL reserves is not really paying dividends.

There's plenty of good players available out there, without simply having to resort to the obvious, easy (and frequently poor) options.

All very well if you have the budget otherwise bigger teams such as Dundee United , Aberdeen ,Motherwell can hold on to their best players and let the duff ones go.

Our market is players out of contract unless we can sign a player from the lower leagues who is in contract. Otherwise you can only deal with a relegated team who are trimming their cost.

Also three bad eggs can make a whole load of other eggs bad in the same bowl. The principle being a few bad players can make a whole team under perform does not make certain other players bad.

We have to remember our place in the top league. We are a small club with not too many fans the budget reflects this.

We have the same arguments every close smile.png

All very well if you have the budget otherwise bigger teams such as Dundee United , Aberdeen ,Motherwell can hold on to their best players and let the duff ones go.

Our market is players out of contract unless we can sign a player from the lower leagues who is in contract. Otherwise you can only deal with a relegated team who are trimming their cost.

Also three bad eggs can make a whole load of other eggs bad in the same bowl. The principle being a few bad players can make a whole team under perform does not make certain other players bad.

We have to remember our place in the top league. We are a small club with not too many fans the budget reflects this.

Aye but don't you know anybody from round the corner who was a great fiba player as a child but didnae make it?

Rose tinted no.I blame it on Old England white or golden.A favourite tipple of our Glenburn soccer stars.I ran about with John jnr and his ability was incredible but drink and fags done him in and also the fact that he could not really be bothered applying himself.Shame Really.

Reminds of the story of Alan Lachlan.

The Sellic manager came to his door about him signing for them

The story goes,he sent the Sellic manager away to get him a fat lady for him to consider it

I know a guy who was tall and lanky he played outside right for Paisley 12th BB and lived in Donaldswood Rd Glenburn he did not make it ether. Now he is tall and well built and still not made it ( that being me ) There were around 20 of us played football every day in the park even in the rain. Not one of them made it ether.

And your point caller !

Eh it's end of season and in Jim Whites words we all write a 'load of pish'

Your right there caller !

I know a guy who was tall and lanky he played outside right for Paisley 12th BB and lived in Donaldswood Rd Glenburn he did not make it ether. Now he is tall and well built and still not made it ( that being me ) There were around 20 of us played football every day in the park even in the rain. Not one of them made it ether.

And your point caller !

Eh it's end of season and in Jim Whites words we all write a 'load of pish'

Your right there caller !

Reminds of the story of Alan Lachlan.

The Sellic manager came to his door about him signing for them

The story goes,he sent the Sellic manager away to get him a fat lady for him to consider it

I played in the same team as Alan for a season or 2, what a smashing player he was, wasted talent, although I

think some versions of that story have grown a few arms and legs over the years..

I never lived in Glenburn but went to school up there, and I remember Bernie Gallagher who lived in Glenburn (I think)

who went on to play for Aston Villa and a few other English clubs, I read last year that he had died aged only 44, very

sad he was a really nice guy at school...

Edited by scrappy coco

And your point caller !

The point is you are still repeating yourself.bangin.gif

I knew a guy called Eddie Welsh.He was heavily involved in P+D Amateur Football and also done a bit of Scouting for Motherwell and Charlton.Wonder if it's the same guy?

I played in the same team as Alan for a season or 2, what a smashing player he was, wasted talent, although I

think some versions of that story have grown a few arms and legs over the years..

I never lived in Glenburn but went to school up there, and I remember Bernie Gallagher who lived in Glenburn (I think)

who went on to play for Aston Villa and a few other English clubs, I read last year that he had died aged only 44, very

sad he was a really nice guy at school...

Sad to hear that, went to school with his brother John, another handy footy player.

I wasn't saying that we should increase what we are spending.

I was saying we should look beyond the obvious candidates, when it comes to securing players.

Even I could trawl through the list of players released from the relegated clubs and pick the best of a bad bunch. However I expect our highly paid professional manger to be able to go (at the very least) a step further than that.

Recruiting players with a track record of failure is hardly likey to bring us much success, and as our own track record shows we haven't managed to haul ourselves from being involved in a relegation battle for at least 7 of the past 8 seasons.

So not time to spend differently, but time to think differently.

I knew a guy called Eddie Welsh.He was heavily involved in P+D Amateur Football and also done a bit of Scouting for Motherwell and Charlton.Wonder if it's the same guy?

There were two Eddie Welsh's involved with P&D Amateur football , one was manager of Initial Star and Edbro United and I think he had a spell at Arthurlie too ! The other was a very good central defender , with both Chrysler Linwood and Belle Amateurs who would defo have played at a higher level in this day and age !