Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

To have a good experienced spine to the team we still require the big experienced centre back we have been wishing for for years. We have no experience at the back once again. .. Whats Carlos Puyol doing now?

Groaning at this joke being raised for the billionth time.

The players out of our price range were possibly ex premier players who Mr Murray thought might move down a division, eg. Clarkson and Carey as opposed to first division players who he may have targeted at Dumbarton. That's my initial assumption.

I am looking forward to our more experienced players like Thommo, Goodwin and Gow all buying into the philosophy of the new manager and assistant and in turn influencing the young rising stars of the future. We've seen this previously with experienced league winners such as Tommy Turner, Kevin McGowne and Andy Millen for example. If we can get them playing at their best alongside players such as Naismith, Kelly and Mallan then we have a decent foundation for a title winning team.

I agree that a confident and reinvigorated Thommo, Goodwin and Gow could be great assets. The comparison with our last promotion winning team is a good point. Teams do merge in the memory and I might be wrong but in addition to Turner, McGowan and Millen I think that team also had Broadfoot, Potter, Shuggie, DVZ, Lappin, Mehmet and Sutton. My recollection of the promotion winning team - and I might be guilty of rose coloured specs - is that it was way stronger than what we look like assembling for this campaign.

Steven Saunders is training at Partick but wants to go somewhere that he'll get game time. He lost his way after bad injuries but was a regular in a good motherwell team, and was called up to Scotland squads. He's probably not the big bad no nonsense cb that people want and go on about right enough.

I agree that a confident and reinvigorated Thommo, Goodwin and Gow could be great assets. The comparison with our last promotion winning team is a good point. Teams do merge in the memory and I might be wrong but in addition to Turner, McGowan and Millen I think that team also had Broadfoot, Potter, Shuggie, DVZ, Lappin, Mehmet and Sutton. My recollection of the promotion winning team - and I might be guilty of rose coloured specs - is that it was way stronger than what we look like assembling for this campaign.

Turner was 2000 promotion captain he wasn't in the last promotion team. DVZ, Lappin and Broadfoot, Mehmet and Charlie Adam, Sutton, Chris Smith were all about 19-23 and either unproven or had failed at bigger clubs. We didn't know what sort of careers they were going to go on and have.

Turner was 2000 promotion captain he wasn't in the last promotion team. DVZ, Lappin and Broadfoot, Mehmet and Charlie Adam, Sutton, Chris Smith were all about 19-23 and either unproven or had failed at bigger clubs. We didn't know what sort of careers they were going to go on and have.

Accepted. Lots of big characters though and that showed through early doors as we were always difficult to beat. Anyway, hope I'm wrong and who knows who is still to come in but as things stand we look like a team that other teams will like to play against.