Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

That's true about the midfielders and defenders just fustrating that we can't produce equal quality strikers. but I would like to see us at least pick up a younger striker.i didn't think much of Clarkson last season.also will never know if Shankland needed half a season under Murray to get going.

Murray seldom gave him sufficient game time. So hardly surprising it took until Alex played him to see his talents.

Steven McGarry but aye, we seem to be poor at producing forwards compared to other areas of the team. Guys like Reilly and McKenna come into the fringes of the team and look impressive in their wee bursts but then, for whatever reason, fall by the wayside. Then there are other players like Smith and Brady who appear from the bench a few times then vanish back to the reserves.

I reckon McGarry, Lavety, McKenna and Reilly are the only strikers to have come through the youth set-up to have scored for us this century, which is crap considering that's their main role. By comparison, three home grown defenders (Baird, Stewart and Kelly) scored for us just last season and it would probably have been four had Naismith not got injured.

jon mcshane?

Jimmy Nichol and Alex Rae (and me) would not agree with that. Nichol had Gallagher at Cowdenbeath and played him wide saying that Gallagher needed space to control the ball and run and people. He could be ineffective when tightly marked as a striker. Murray played him as a striker and he was poor. Rae moved him wide and he looks a far better player. We do need legs through the middle but I do not think Gallagher is the answer.

Jamie Vardy seemed to do okay playing through the middle by running at people with Leicester.

And he had plenty of space.

If we played the game properly, ie sit back, give away possession and lump the ball forward when we win it the Gallagher would be good through the middle.

If we persist with attempting to keep possession and pass our way through a defence where Gallagher is tightly marked, then yes, Gallagher is better out wide.

Edited by nosferatu

Ok we don't seem to do well producing striker.but you wonder how teams like peterhead seem to have an abundence of strikers who are banging in goals.are we to slow at spotting talented forwards.

Not really a true comparison as many of these guys who bang them in in the lower leagues don't hack it in the Championship or the Premiership. Mind you, that puts a lot of clubs off giving them a chance these days. Damned if you do .............!

Mcallister was always going to be the exception but nobody wants to buy out his wages from his full time job - but the north east is in a bit of a tailspin these days so perhaps his wage packet is a bit lighter these days.

QoS fan on P&B suggesting that we're back in for striker Gary Oliver. One also has heard that we've signed him already.

Apparently he knocked us back last season in favour of QoS.

Out of contract as of yesterday.

Apparently been played out of position a lot this season, which has had a negative effect on his performances.

Signed a two year deal with soapdodgers, for a nominal fee.

Believed to have knocked back both Saints and Plymouth.

Hopefully no great loss.

If Morton is the height of his ambition then good luck to him. I would assume the Soaps offered a better deal than us if we did in fact offer a deal.

Yeah, could have been a 2year deal compared to a one year with us. His stats dont exactly fill you with excitement so no great loss

As Rae is after a left sider, I wonder if we'll go after De Vita, who was released from Ross County. We had him on trial in Jan 2015 when Teale was here, think we offered him a deal but then Ro$$ County came in.

Left back Rory McKeown of Raith Rovers is yet to sign a new deal with them.

He'd be a great signing IMO.

Declan McManus released by Fleetwood, Morton want to sign him but would be funny to nick him from under their noses.

Apparently a certain west London club were also interested but he didn't want to go to Chelsea.

FFS, what have you started....

I hope you're happy now!

Declan McManus released by Fleetwood, Morton want to sign him but would be funny to nick him from under their noses.

Apparently a certain west London club were also interested but he didn't want to go to Chelsea.

Chances of us signing McManus......less than zero.