Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Obviously the Rang*rs (RIP) winner was great.

But my favourite was his goal against C*ltic at Darkhead. As it was late on I thought it might be the winner and the celebrations that followed left me with a badly gashed shin.

And then feckin' Riordan came on as a sub and equalised. The resultant injured shin was all in vain...

To be honest, with all the new faces, bringing in a player we are all familiar with might be a good move. If it is McGinn as suggested, he is fondly remembered by many of us (I can still vividly picture his shot sailing into the net when he scored against Rangers at Love St). That'll be a good base to start on. He also has experience and this will help the young lads in the midfield - assuming we have any left come the end of the month.
I'd be very happy with a return for the elder McGinn. Though it would be appreciated if someone could clarify if he has any association with a former Celtic chairman.

You mean this goal ? About 4 minutes in .

A roar and atmosphere at Love St , I've never heard at the new ground in our soulless stadium.

14 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

You mean this goal ? About 4 minutes in .

A roar and atmosphere at Love St , I've never heard at the new ground in our soulless stadium.

Superb.

We had been piss-poor in the lead up to that game, and they were flying. I was convinced we were going to be on the end of a hiding.

The players were absolutely brilliant that afternoon, throwing themselves in front of everything. We were sat behind the goal and had a great view of the strike. Many (self included) were screaming to McGinn to pass it through to Dargo. McGinn had other ideas. The rest, as they say, history.

Fantastic memories.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

To be honest, with all the new faces, bringing in a player we are all familiar with might be a good move. If it is McGinn as suggested, he is fondly remembered by many of us (I can still vividly picture his shot sailing into the net when he scored against Rangers at Love St). That'll be a good base to start on. He also has experience and this will help the young lads in the midfield - assuming we have any left come the end of the month.

I'd be very happy with a return for the elder McGinn. Though it would be appreciated if someone could clarify if he has any association with a former Celtic chairman.

Fergus McCann denied they were related IIRC.

1 hour ago, St mirren fan BORED said:

Um this guy ain't match fit

Neither are most of our signings as none of them are getting any regular football at their clubs. It's a burden we have to bear to get folk in at level we want, that some will take 2 or 3 games to get sharp. Thankfully, the 4 new lads we signed last week should be getting up to speed now and the two guys from this week will follow suit.

Mcginn would be a decent signing but don't see what he would bring to the team that we don't already have. Do we halt the development of Magennis to slot him in? He hasn't developed into a goal scorer so wouldn't want him to replace Mallan.

Quinn, Magennis, Storie, Todd, Fjelde all midfielders. Would be looking for the budget to get spent on a decent winger that knows how to cross a ball.

They shall not pass!.jpg

Glad you posted that , I couldn't find it.

It epitomises teamwork. I've always said ( like most of you ) it's not a defeat we mind so much , it's the manner of the defeat. If the boys put in a good honest shift & lose ? I've no issue with that.

Just show us some effort & we will support you week in week out.

That's what that picture says to me, brilliant :)

Now , about this speculation ? I'd say all normal rules are out the 'window' ( pardon the pun ) this is going to be an interesting end to the transfer window for sure , let's just hope it translates into points on the board.

8 hours ago, Drew said:

Superb.

We had been piss-poor in the lead up to that game, and they were flying. I was convinced we were going to be on the end of a hiding.

The players were absolutely brilliant that afternoon, throwing themselves in front of everything. We were sat behind the goal and had a great view of the strike. Many (self included) were screaming to McGinn to pass it through to Dargo. McGinn had other ideas. The rest, as they say, history.

Fantastic memories.

Yet the supporters forced Gus out.

6 hours ago, Dan Is The Man said:

Mcginn would be a decent signing but don't see what he would bring to the team that we don't already have. Do we halt the development of Magennis to slot him in? He hasn't developed into a goal scorer so wouldn't want him to replace Mallan.

Quinn, Magennis, Storie, Todd, Fjelde all midfielders. Would be looking for the budget to get spent on a decent winger that knows how to cross a ball.

Todd is an attacking midfielder, plays wide or behind the striker. So that really just leaves the other 4 for the 2 central midfield roles.

Fjelde also plays in defence, just takes one of the full backs to get injured or a central defence crisis. Quinn is injury prone.

There is also the option to play 3 in central midfield.

I can see a role for McGinn.

23 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

Todd is an attacking midfielder, plays wide or behind the striker. So that really just leaves the other 4 for the 2 central midfield roles.

Fjelde also plays in defence, just takes one of the full backs to get injured or a central defence crisis. Quinn is injury prone.

There is also the option to play 3 in central midfield.

I can see a role for McGinn.

If available, grab him before the opposition. 

Jack Ross in the interview on the OS saying he's still looking to strengthen defensively. Not sure if it's a rightback or a centre-half he's looking for - or both if we get Watson!

I still think we could do with another attacking player too.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Jack Ross in the interview on the OS saying he's still looking to strengthen defensively. Not sure if it's a rightback or a centre-half he's looking for - or both if we get Watson!

I still think we could do with another attacking player too.

Is there still talk of us possibly looking to bring Watson in?

Not convinced McGinn will make a difference , not the energetic youngster he was 10 years ago , I,m liking the look of the type of player Jack Ross has signed to date , which seems to be youing fit players full of running , I still think we,re chasing Waters from Alloa , and won,t be surprised if we offer a couple of players on Loan to Alloa ( with us paying their wages ) in exchange for him , Alloa are now out of the cup , and need to increase the size of their squad to challenge for a play off place.

48 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Not convinced McGinn will make a difference , not the energetic youngster he was 10 years ago , I,m liking the look of the type of player Jack Ross has signed to date , which seems to be youing fit players full of running , I still think we,re chasing Waters from Alloa , and won,t be surprised if we offer a couple of players on Loan to Alloa ( with us paying their wages ) in exchange for him , Alloa are now out of the cup , and need to increase the size of their squad to challenge for a play off place.

We need a balanced squad, and McGinn would be an experienced head in a midfield (Quinn excepted) of young lads. The blend of the squad is likely to be a key factor in terms of how we fare in the run in.

At the moment, one of the biggest issues with the young lads is their decision making and final ball. McGinn was/is an accomplished player who could pick out a pass, and had a composure in his game that could be invaluable.

He hasn't signed yet, and might not, but I would be happy if he did, given time is ticking on and there's every chance that Stevie Mallan will leave within the next few days.

I still reckon we could do with another striker, though.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

We need a balanced squad, and McGinn would be an experienced head in a midfield (Quinn excepted) of young lads. The blend of the squad is likely to be a key factor in terms of how we fare in the run in.

At the moment, one of the biggest issues with the young lads is their decision making and final ball. McGinn was/is an accomplished player who could pick out a pass, and had a composure in his game that could be invaluable.

He hasn't signed yet, and might not, but I would be happy if he did, given time is ticking on and there's every chance that Stevie Mallan will leave within the next few days.

I still reckon we could do with another striker, though.

Think , we,ll have to disagree on McGinn , don ,t necessarily disagree that we need that kind of player , I just think we should be targeting someone that has a better fitness record , just in case we don,t end up with another injury prone player , and Like you I think we need a player that can get goals , maybe a clever player that can play just behind the main striker   , but in general I,m quite happy with how Jack Ross is going about his job

6 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

maybe a clever player that can play just behind the main striker   , but in general I,m quite happy with how Jack Ross is going about his job

You're right, that's exactly what we need - I hope it didn't go unnoticed generally that our amazing performance at the weekend came with a 4-5-1 formation.

Sadly, I can't imagine many players of genuine craft are going to be both available and prepared to come to us in this transfer window.  I think McGinn could be ideal given our current situation. (Though I also take your point about injuries).