Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

The performance tonight was on a par with the first half of last season.

I don't think I could stand a repeat of that dismal form and run of depressing results.

It is difficult to be positive about anything I observed tonight other than Harry Davis entering the ground!

Our defence looked fragile, our midfield disjointed and our attack powder puff.

5 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

The performance tonight was on a par with the first half of last season.

I don't think I could stand a repeat of that dismal form and run of depressing results.

It is difficult to be positive about anything I observed tonight other than Harry Davis entering the ground!

Our defence looked fragile, our midfield disjointed and our attack powder puff.

It was nowhere near the depths of last season where the primary objective seemed to be to allow other teams to have all of the ball and dominate us.

Yes, we were shite tonight but can anyone honestly say Livingston were on top of us for any period of time other than the first 7 or 8 minutes?

We huffed and puffed and came up with nothing to show for it but last season I recall we were quite content to let other teams have the ball and be terribly stand-off in our style. That's nothing like how we're playing.

The only real worrying thing for me was when Carrick went off injured and Livi brought a defender on in his place, we simply didn't know what to do to break them down.

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

It was nowhere near the depths of last season where the primary objective seemed to be to allow other teams to have all of the ball and dominate us.

Yes, we were shite tonight but can anyone honestly say Livingston were on top of us for any period of time other than the first 7 or 8 minutes?

We huffed and puffed and came up with nothing to show for it but last season I recall we were quite content to let other teams have the ball and be terribly stand-off in our style. That's nothing like how we're playing.

The only real worrying thing for me was when Carrick went off injured and Livi brought a defender on in his place, we simply didn't know what to do to break them down.

We didn't know how to break them down because the person that did was playing for Barnsley....

3 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

We didn't know how to break them down because the person that did was playing for Barnsley....

You wouldn't have been saying that in the first half of last season, though?

McShane is literally just in the door. He needs time to develop an understanding with McGinn (it was obvious that this is a work in progress going on their showings last night).

We are also missing Magennis, who is a sharper, more incisive type of player and would have made a significant difference last night, in view.

Players who we know from experience can perform considerably better were well below par last night. The positive point is that we know they are better than that.

4 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

What difference does that make? :huh:

The point being that Mallan took a while to get going last season and would most likely have struggled in similar circumstances to last night, so perhaps we need to give the players in there now a wee bit of grace.

32 minutes ago, Drew said:

The point being that Mallan took a while to get going last season and would most likely have struggled in similar circumstances to last night, so perhaps we need to give the players in there now a wee bit of grace.

You think that, with a wee bit of grace, some of the players playing last night might turn into Stevie Mallan? :P

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Spot on. Season just starting, last night's lineup had 5 new faces who weren't there last season. While they have been training together, it takes a number of competitive matches to really get your rhythm, and also for Jack to decide his best 11. It will have Eckersley and Magennis in it for sure, and probably Davis and whichever striker we sign as well.

Let's hope for a step forward in terms of approach and performance on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

Spot on. Season just starting, last night's lineup had 5 new faces who weren't there last season. While they have been training together, it takes a number of competitive matches to really get your rhythm, and also for Jack to decide his best 11. It will have Eckersley and Magennis in it for sure, and probably Davis and whichever striker we sign as well.

It doesn't matter how many competitive matches they play... Stevie Mallan is still away!

And all of the above also applies to Livi and all other teams.

2 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

It doesn't matter how many competitive matches they play... Stevie Mallan is still away!

And all of the above also applies to Livi and all other teams.

Doesn't mean all teams will be of the same comparative quality once their squads have gelled and are fit. We play a more expansive game than Livi, so there's more to getting it right than there is with their physical approach and men behind the ball way of playing. Sometimes you just need a player to be off the boil for it to suffer a bit. McGinn was as ineffective as I've seen him since coming back last night. I'm sure that won't happen again. I also expect McShane to get better the more he plays as well. Those two need to be creating more for us, getting the ball to the front four to make things happen - didn't get it forward quickly or often enough to them in good positions last night.