jimdickloyal

Speculation Thread

On 19/01/2018 at 7:11 PM, Sweeper07 said:

See that Sam Stanton has signed permanent at UTD too - they are really racking up debts to try and gain promotion...

We are still after a striker - Mickelson was not our first or second choice... watch this space...

Yet we offered Mickelson terms strange to do that if he was not the first choice. Anyway hope you are right. 

30 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Yet we offered Mickelson terms strange to do that if he was not the first choice. Anyway hope you are right. 

Offering terms is not the final part of negotiations - we can withdraw offers before signing is completed - as can the other parties...

There are always more targets than we will sign for the above reason... Mickelson was a clear possibility - he was looking to move and we are in the market for a striker. (Trying to lure him away from our No. 1 competitor was also in the mix - but just like when Loy went to Falkirk, we have sensible limits)

Lots of work going on behind closed doors - it may or may not come off - but it is an attractive time to come to Saints and most strikers like the idea of coming to teams that are free scoring... if they think they are good enough to break into our team, and the money is right for them, the pull is much greater....

15 hours ago, class of 76-77 said:

I'm sure he's related to Jim Duffy possibly his nephew and that's why he signed on at cappielow. Alex Rae tried to sign him for us from QOS but he chose Morton through the family connection. 

He is indeed Duffy's nephew, or he wouldn't be there...

8 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Go and get Jai Quitongo! Scored the winner on Saturday 

Great idea, why didn't you say it before? I'm sure if we go and ask Morton really, really, really, really nicely they'll let us have him.

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Great idea, why didn't you say it before? I'm sure if we go and ask Morton really, really, really, really nicely they'll let us have him.

Quitongo's goal celebration from the weekend is a good enough reason not to sign him.

14 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

If he could score 20 goals each season for us then I would forgive the dance. 

I'd be prepared to bet that Quitongo will never, ever score 20goals in a season......I live in Inverclyde in amongst a lot of Morton fans and even they don't rate him all that highly. Decent athlete and quick but made of glass and generally a poor finisher, albeit it with the arrogance of Ronaldo, is the general consensus in these parts!!

Edited by WeeBud

I'd be prepared to bet that Quitongo will never, ever score 20goals in a season......I live in Inverclyde in amongst a lot of Morton fans and even they don't rate him all that highly. Decent athlete and quick but made of glass and generally a poor finisher, albeit it with the arrogance of Ronaldo, is the general consensus in these parts!!

Quitongo has scored 4 league goals in 30 games in his career

McShane this year alone has 5 in 22 league games

Lewis 9 in 22

Cammy 8 in 21

Danny Mullen 4 in 17

Super Gav has 10 in 21

Quitongo is quick and strong but that’s about it, if we want someone like that send Allan McManus round all the gyms in the area and he will find plenty who are strong, quick and can run about with little end product.

Seems like he could be a threat at this level with the right supply, but I don't think he's going to push Reilly for a place and I doubt he'd make an impact next season if we were to secure promotion. Add to that the fact the there would almost certainly be a fee involved and I think it's a non-starter. 

I have not suggested that we sign him.  The club have dome a good job in recruitment and sales since JR and his Management team came in. Recent movements in the present window have certainly made sense to me. The remaining piece of the jigsaw for me would be the big and bustling striker who would eventually replace the apparently out of favour John Sutton. Who that might be......I have to be honest and say that I don't know.

Edited by St.Ricky

51 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I have not suggested that we sign him.  The club have dome a good job in recruitment and sales since JR and his Management team came in. Recent movements in the present window have certainly made sense to me. The remaining piece of the jigsaw for me would be the big and bustling striker who would eventually replace the apparently out of favour John Sutton. Who that might be......I have to be honest and say that I don't know.

I agree with that. I'm not saying we could sign someone as good as Rooney, but I thought he was great at the weekend; exactly the type off player every team should have as an option. Not necessarily quick, just a pain in the feckin arse.

He’s the type of player that at the start of the game you worry about him when he is on the ball, then 15 minutes later you couldn’t care less as you have realised he’s just a hyped up ,very ordinary at best, “might be a player “ but will probably disappear into either oblivion or up his own arse......

Edited by thomsons dropped it

2 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

I agree with that. I'm not saying we could sign someone as good as Rooney, but I thought he was great at the weekend; exactly the type off player every team should have as an option. Not necessarily quick, just a pain in the feckin arse.

Rooney is a much better player that many people realise - For them he is not an option, but a leader from the front and if fit, given the No. 9 shirt - For Aberdeen he has played 135 games and scored 63 goals in 4 seasons - in the top league... and who knows how many assists too... The main reason he was fairly quiet at the weekend was that Baird and Davis did not give him much space (most of the time) those 2 are much better than many people realise too...

Jack Ross would kill for someone like Rooney in our team.... (Hopefully not literally though)

Outside the Tic are there any or many better strikers than Rooney in the Premiership? (Check the stats)

Edited by Sweeper07
correction

My Morton supporting mate thinks he’s utter pish

3 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Rooney is a much better player that many people realise - For them he is not an option, but a leader from the front and if fit, given the No. 9 shirt - For Aberdeen he has played 135 games and scored 63 goals in 4 seasons - in the top league... and who knows how many assists too... The main reason he was fairly quiet at the weekend was that Baird and Davis did not give him much space (most of the time) those 2 are much better than many people realise too...

Jack Ross would kill for someone like Rooney in our team.... (Hopefully not literally though)

Outside the Tic are there any or many better strikers than Rooney in the Premiership? (Check the stats)

With you all the way sweeper.  

If you know where to find a Rooney equivalent them I am sure JR would like to know!