Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Spoke to a few people today and its still being muted that 2 strikers incoming are imminent, one for 100k.  Heaton looks decent and I'm sure he cost 45k.

For me we never replaced Mallan, when we get a free kick no one wants it.  We need a bit of creativity in the middle of the park, we got the steel in McGinn.

We need a 25 goal striker IMO and the sooner the better, or we will be down by Xmas.

We’ve always had double figure strikers in seasons we’ve survived in the Premiership/SPL.

We had Sutton, then Higdon, then Thompson. Our final season - when Thompson got injured - we didn’t have one and we got relegated.

We don’t have anyone anywhere near the caliber of those 3 just now. Unless we find one between now and the end of August we are going to really struggle.

9 hours ago, GeordieBuddie said:

Spoke to a few people today and its still being muted that 2 strikers incoming are imminent, one for 100k.  Heaton looks decent and I'm sure he cost 45k.

For me we never replaced Mallan, when we get a free kick no one wants it.  We need a bit of creativity in the middle of the park, we got the steel in McGinn.

We need a 25 goal striker IMO and the sooner the better, or we will be down by Xmas.

There is zero chance of St Mirren paying 100k for a striker. You’ll be lucky If we have 100k left of the overall budget to spend on recruitment.

10 hours ago, GeordieBuddie said:

From what i believe, Jeff King hits a decent free kick. Also, Magennis chipped in with a few last season, may be back on those duties on his return from injury.

19 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

There is zero chance of St Mirren paying 100k for a striker. You’ll be lucky If we have 100k left of the overall budget to spend on recruitment.

Scott etc will be viewing the goings on, and as long as he thinks an incoming player will be instrumental in helping us stay in the division , he won't blink at another £100k.

The last 25 goal top flight striker we had was Doug Somner in 1980. He finished as the Premier League’s top scorer and we finished 3rd!

Even the likes of McAvennie, McGarvey, McDougall and Torfason never came anywhere near scoring 25 goals! [emoji23]

24 minutes ago, billyg said:

Scott etc will be viewing the goings on, and as long as he thinks an incoming player will be instrumental in helping us stay in the division , he won't blink at another £100k.

Do we have a ready made replacement for a Morgan type of player, who can single handedly win a game on his own, or supply the ammo for a 100k striker.

4 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

Do we have a ready made replacement for a Morgan type of player, who can single handedly win a game on his own, or supply the ammo for a 100k striker.

Think that’s where the lad Johnston from Celtic comes in.

wonder if we were in for Kennedy that just signed for the Jonnies? Played on loan for Hibs when Stubbs was there.

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

We’ve always had double figure strikers in seasons we’ve survived in the Premiership/SPL.

We had Sutton, then Higdon, then Thompson. Our final season - when Thompson got injured - we didn’t have one and we got relegated.

We don’t have anyone anywhere near the caliber of those 3 just now. Unless we find one between now and the end of August we are going to really struggle.

That's not actually correct. 

According to St.Mirren.info;

2009-10;

Mehmet, 3 League goals [13 all comps]

Dorman, 7 league goals [ 8 all comps]

2007-08;

Mehmet, 6 League goals [ 8 all comps]

Dorman, 3 League goals [ 5 all comps]

I'm struggling with the notion that the club would be lining up a possible 6 figure fee for a striker when there were two forwards as trialists on Saturday. Why bother, unless they were only likely to be squad players if signed?

I suspect that Stubbs did have irons in the fire, but they didn't materialise so it is a case of implementing Plan B (including looking at trialists). That was certainly the sense I got from his post match interview last night.

Edited by Drew

32 minutes ago, Drew said:

I'm struggling with the notion that the club would be lining up a possible 6 figure fee for a striker when there were two forwards as trialists on Saturday. Why bother, unless they were only likely to be squad players if signed?

I suspect that Stubbs did have irons in the fire, but they didn't materialise so it is a case of implementing Plan B (including looking at trialists). That was certainly the sense I got from his post match interview last night.

It does look like he has missed out on the guys he wants and its back to the drawing board. I think he mentioned looking at videos of prospects which indicates that he is having to start all over.

1 hour ago, Langbank said:

Jim Duffy on radio last week saying he can’t understand why a club the like of St Mirren don’t at least test the water with a bid for him.

That would be too sensible. Dobbie would be hard to get from Queens but worth a shot. 

3 hours ago, Langbank said:

Jim Duffy on radio last week saying he can’t understand why a club the like of St Mirren don’t at least test the water with a bid for him.

When was the last time Jim Duffy kicked a ball. :whistle :P

Edited by pod