jimdickloyal

Speculation Thread

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Does Stubbs not rate Scottish players ?

Tbh there dosnt seem to be many about within our wage structure  that will improve us. This is probably why ex players like L Smith and players like Quitongo are getting mentioned on here. Unfortunately I think you get better quality elsewhere(obviously exceptions to that).

Edited by munoz

15 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Looking at the signings of the likes of Hearts, Hamilton, Dundee, Hibs and Aberdeen, neither do their managers.

It is a slightly worrying trend from the perspective of the domestic game and the development of home grown players.

What concerns me is that this is happening against a backdrop of clubs closing down their youth academies.

Are we going back to the days of the influx of mediocre, non-Scottish players being favoured over the development of lads brought through from the grassroots?

How I long for the golden era when senior teams could build a formidable first X1 that could hold their own in the top league built from recruits from the likes of Johnstone Burgh, Cambuslang Rangers, Cumbernauld United, Shettleston and Baillieston Juniors.

Old-fartedness can still be enjoyable.

:P

25 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Looking at the signings of the likes of Hearts, Hamilton, Dundee, Hibs and Aberdeen, neither do their managers.

A lot of teams seem to be going down the physical route , and there dosnt look like there's an abundance of 6ft 3 Scottish players. 

Looks like what Gordon Strachan highlighted about us being a wee nation is now having an effect on our top league. 

18 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Croatian centre back Ricardo Bagadur currently training with us, could sign this week. Thoughts....

saw clips of him on youtube and also of Alfie Jones , both seem quite similar and footballing central defenders who can carry the ball and make a pass , can see us playing against the better teams with three central defenders .

Also I don't think many teams will bully us this season as we seem well capable of putting a team on the pitch that can look after itself .

A bit of pace up front and we,ve got quite a decent squad.

Edited by MenstrieSaint
spelling

57 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

saw clips of him on youtube and also of Alfie Jones , both seem quite similar and footballing central defenders who can carry the ball and make a pass , can see us playing against the better teams with three central defenders .

Also I don't think many teams will bully us this season as we seem well capable of putting a team on the pitch that can look after itself .

Yep - agree with all of that. Pace is the missing ingredient for me...

On 8/14/2018 at 5:50 PM, Drew said:

It is a slightly worrying trend from the perspective of the domestic game and the development of home grown players.

What concerns me is that this is happening against a backdrop of clubs closing down their youth academies.

Are we going back to the days of the influx of mediocre, non-Scottish players being favoured over the development of lads brought through from the grassroots?

Maybe it will mean youth taking the route of playing for lower league teams after moving through the boys clubs like it used to be, getting their experience that way before being snapped up by the bigger clubs for a fee, which would be no bad thing. The likes of Rangers and Celtic especially have an enormous amount of young boys on their books, almost all of whom are stifled there, before being released for not being big enough. Andy Robertson for one, Lewis Morgan another.

As long we still have boys playing football then hopefully players will still come through. That's the difficult part though as clubs like ours do a lot of work in the community coaching kids. Interesting times ahead, hopefully kids aren't put off the game.

On 8/14/2018 at 5:51 PM, Wilbur said:

How I long for the golden era when senior teams could build a formidable first X1 that could hold their own in the top league built from recruits from the likes of Johnstone Burgh, Cambuslang Rangers, Cumbernauld United, Shettleston and Baillieston Juniors.

Old-fartedness can still be enjoyable.

so long as one is not indoors; yes :lol:

3 hours ago, Soctty said:

Maybe it will mean youth taking the route of playing for lower league teams after moving through the boys clubs like it used to be, getting their experience that way before being snapped up by the bigger clubs for a fee, which would be no bad thing. The likes of Rangers and Celtic especially have an enormous amount of young boys on their books, almost all of whom are stifled there, before being released for not being big enough. Andy Robertson for one, Lewis Morgan another.

As long we still have boys playing football then hopefully players will still come through. That's the difficult part though as clubs like ours do a lot of work in the community coaching kids. Interesting times ahead, hopefully kids aren't put off the game.

Over here my local is the Galatea it's the Celtic supporters pub & St Mirren they tell me :D. They were well impressed with the game he played said he changed the game. Morgan is currently injured they seem genuinely excited by him looking forward to seeing him in the team. This from season tickèt holders. 

36 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

This from season tickèt holders. 

What difference does it make if its from season ticket fans or pay at the gate fans?

55 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Over here my local is the Galatea it's the Celtic supporters pub & St Mirren they tell me :D. They were well impressed with the game he played said he changed the game. Morgan is currently injured they seem genuinely excited by him looking forward to seeing him in the team. This from season tickèt holders. 

Celtic supporters getting excited about anything makes me want to puke.

5 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Any more signings and I can see us playing with 5 central defenders and 5 sitting midfielders!