Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Overheard someone at the game on Saturday say the we were in for O'Connor. Apparently he's the mystery SPL based striker, can't see there being any substance to it, but this is the speculation thread so I just wondered if anyone else had heard similar?

O'Connor has two serious court cases at the end of the season and could quite easily get jailed if found guilty.

Even if not, I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

From the players i know that will be free in the summer, we should make a move for Jonny Hayes and Ian Black. Hayes is a great player and the Dons, Hibs and the fakes are also interested, think he could be tempted here though. As for Black, fair enough he is a prick and all that, but he is a good player who could do a shift for us in midfield

Overheard someone at the game on Saturday say the we were in for O'Connor. Apparently he's the mystery SPL based striker, can't see there being any substance to it, but this is the speculation thread so I just wondered if anyone else had heard similar?

O'Connor and substance in the same post... and it's about a possible signing rather than anything else, now that's a first ;)

From what I've heard neither Tesselaar or Hasslebaink are anywhere near re-signing, with one of the 2 demanding a five figure signing on fee for starters I guess they will both be moving on now as it's doubtful that the club will be able to meet their wage demands.

Is 10k really that much for an SPL signing on fee? I would have thought that to be pretty run of the mill - I know a lot of average junior players can get 1-2k signing on fees, and I also know a certain first division clubs ex-manager managed to sign most of his players thanks to signing on fees approaching 50k, that the club could ill-afford - as you can imagine. Even if the figure was 20k - and I'm speculating at the wages theyre asking for here - then that could be less than 10% extra spread over a 2 year contract. I've never been involved in running a club before but thatt seems a fair enough cash advance to me.

Would be a shame to lose either player, but as ever there are plenty out there at least as good.

Such as?... rolleyes.gif

Tesselaar's the best left-back we've had since we got into the SPL. Hasselbaink's probably one of the most exciting players we've had playing for us in the SPL and when he plays well, the whole team plays well.

Still, it's good to know there are several other Hasselbainks and Tesselaars lining up at our door, ready to sign on for the same wages.

dry.png

Such as?... rolleyes.gif

Tesselaar's the best left-back we've had since we got into the SPL. Hasselbaink's probably one of the most exciting players we've had playing for us in the SPL and when he plays well, the whole team plays well.

Still, it's good to know there are several other Hasselbainks and Tesselaars lining up at our door, ready to sign on for the same wages.

dry.png

Is that supposed to be sarcasm? At no point did I say there were players 'lining up at our door' as you imply. I just mean no-one is irreplaceable. I agree they've been good players for saints and admire Tesselaar in particular. Travner was considered pretty good too I think; and many on here were sorry he didn't re-sign, yet the replacement has if anything been an improvement. In my view, with our resources the players we will attract will tend to be around the same quality.

Is that supposed to be sarcasm? At no point did I say there were players 'lining up at our door' as you imply. I just mean no-one is irreplaceable. I agree they've been good players for saints and admire Tesselaar in particular. Travner was considered pretty good too I think; and many on here were sorry he didn't re-sign, yet the replacement has if anything been an improvement. In my view, with our resources the players we will attract will tend to be around the same quality.

Would be a shame to lose either player, but as ever there are plenty out there at least as good.

rolleyes.gif You didn't use those exact words but you said there were plenty of players "at least as good". So, come on, who are they?

Surely, if you know such a vast amount of available talent exists, you will be sending a list to Danny Lennon in due course?

I'm not saying either player is irreplaceable either, but if we are to let players go - unless we are absolutely powerless to avoid it - we have to have others lined up to replace them. IMO, both Tesselaar and Hasselbaink are important players and have been key to the progress we've made this season. I feel that letting them go could have a detrimental effect on the way we perform next season.

I don't think it's as easy as just saying we can sign someone else. Almost every player is replaceable - but it's being able to replace them with the right player that is the difficult part.

Is 10k really that much for an SPL signing on fee? I would have thought that to be pretty run of the mill - I know a lot of average junior players can get 1-2k signing on fees, and I also know a certain first division clubs ex-manager managed to sign most of his players thanks to signing on fees approaching 50k, that the club could ill-afford - as you can imagine. Even if the figure was 20k - and I'm speculating at the wages theyre asking for here - then that could be less than 10% extra spread over a 2 year contract. I've never been involved in running a club before but thatt seems a fair enough cash advance to me.

No one else that re-signed asked for one, so why make an exception for one and set a precedence

No one else that re-signed asked for one, so why make an exception for one and set a precedence

Absolutely. Asking for a signing on fee from the club you are already with seems like tearing the arse out of it. I'd be telling them so take it or leave it now.

I disagree.

Using that philosophy, first-team players would all be paid the same wages. Craig Samson has played every match this season and has been arguably one of our most important players, but I'm willing to bet Thompson, Teale, Goodwin, McGowan and Mair are all on higher wages than him.

Different players lend themselves to different circumstances - to say that it should be one signing-on fee or none at all is unrealistic and unproductive, surely. We pay Thommo higher wages because that's probably what we needed to pay him to get him to sign.

Similarly, we had to pay £35,000 for Imrie because that's what it took to make him a Saints player.

If we wanted either player to stay with us, we may have to pay more for the privilege. After all, we only gave them one-year deals at the start of the season.

I suppose it depends on how much we want to keep them and how much they're demanding, and indeed whether the club has a strict policy over it, but there surely must be room for negotiation here.

Edited by Sunny Saint