jimdickloyal

Speculation Thread

The way I see it, because St Mirren won’t be in the “elite” league, our young guys will be playing poorer quality opposition. Over time the poorer quality will not do much to aid the development of our players than if they had the opportunity to take on some of the better sides.

So the better players will benefit from playing better quality opposition then?

I hate that formation, so I'm hoping we don't go with it :lol:
4-2-3-1
4-4-2
4-5-1
In order of my preference. 3 at the back always seems a bit awkward 

But 3 central defenders is what we’ve been waiting playing and I can’t see us going to a flat back 4 with Ferdinand in the side.

As for the formation, it was the formation used by Tom Hendrie and Gus Macpherson to win the First Division!

3 CB's is fine if you have the right wingbacks . . . and the right wide midfielders . . . . and a CF, 2nd F, midfielders and Winger who rattles in the goals . . . :turtle

That’s at least 12 positions you’ve named there and we need to play a goalie as well.

It’s a good idea and would certainly give us an advantage.

Just need to hope the opposition don’t notice!

50 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Is it just us linked with Paul Smyth? And are we still interested? 

Everyone who is in the know is keeping quiet - and good on them.  :thumbs2

My guess is he is still a possibility, but we want someone even better up front . . but will we get him or either or both ?  :turtle

12 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

But 3 central defenders is what we’ve been waiting playing and I can’t see us going to a flat back 4 with Ferdinand in the side.

As for the formation, it was the formation used by Tom Hendrie and Gus Macpherson to win the First Division!

I would drop Baird and go with a back 4 of Hodson/McGinn Popescu Ferdinand & Erhahon. Baird backup if Ferdinand isn't fit

The Baird lovers won't like this but I really think he causes a lot of our problems 

Edited by Doakes

11 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

My guess is he is still a possibility, but we want someone even better up front . . but will we get him or either or both ?  :turtle

My guess is we have competition for him...

15 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Is it just us linked with Paul Smyth? And are we still interested? 

15 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Ye, we don't want anyone to know we're interested or not. :rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, Buddie-Boy said:

The reliable McG over on Pie & Bovril says to expect a striker and a centre-half next.

We all know a striker is the highest priority right now, maybe even two - are either ready to go over the line yet though? Not sure they will be today . . . it is too quiet for my liking.

Centre-half is a bit puzzling.... more likely MacK going out if it is true . . 

RB also on the list though . . .   mmm   :turtle

We all know a striker is the highest priority right now, maybe even two - are either ready to go over the line yet though? Not sure they will be today . . . it is too quiet for my liking.
Sammon and Boyd ? Not sure about another CH, but what do I know.
I trust OK (and Gus, Jimmy, Rice, etc, etc..)

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

The highest priority should be a defensive midfielder then a striker.  if yesterday told us anything its McGinn and Tansey wont do it against a half decent team.. its the wrong mix. We really need to start picking up points instead of hoping Dundee and Hamilton keep losing.  Remember how young Stevie Mallan really struggled till Jack brought in Stephen McGinn. it transformed young Stevie.  McGinn needs the right type of player in now, someone prepared to do the dirty work and that's not Tansey.  there must be a Lexy  Aber or Goodie out there somewhere....  A Gus Macpherson kind of player.  you know the type i mean Gus :death 

11 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

The highest priority should be a defensive midfielder then a striker.  if yesterday told us anything its McGinn and Tansey wont do it against a half decent team.. its the wrong mix. We really need to start picking up points instead of hoping Dundee and Hamilton keep losing.  Remember how young Stevie Mallan really struggled till Jack brought in Stephen McGinn. it transformed young Stevie.  McGinn needs the right type of player in now, someone prepared to do the dirty work and that's not Tansey.  there must be a Lexy  Aber or Goodie out there somewhere....  A Gus Macpherson kind of player.  you know the type i mean Gus :death 

Tansey has played what 3 games with us now - after a long lay-off. I don't think we have seen the best of him yet by any means.

I do understand where you are coming from though... 

1 minute ago, Sweeper07 said:

Tansey has played what 3 games with us now - after a long lay-off. I don't think we have seen the best of him yet by any means.

I do understand where you are coming from though... 

I dont think we have seen the best of him either far from it.  but hes not the type of player that we having been crying out for all season. am hoping when he gets match fit we will have really good player here Sweeper.